Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
For storage purposes, you gotta weight the money you are planing to put into upgrading this thing and whether that's better spent on a, either USB-based or WIFI-based, external HD.

An USB-HD can also be plugged in into an Airport Base Station, no screamer but good enough for photos, and be available to everybody.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
For storage purposes, you gotta weight the money you are planing to put into upgrading this thing and whether that's better spent on a, either USB-based or WIFI-based, external HD.

An USB-HD can also be plugged in into an Airport Base Station, no screamer but good enough for photos, and be available to everybody.
maybe she's storing a bunch of pictures that she doesn't want everyone else looking at.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
maybe she's storing a bunch of pictures that she doesn't want everyone else looking at.
Sharing is caring :p

In my opinion, it's not worth throwing money at it. Buy a NAS or even just a USB thumb drive if all she needs is storage for pictures. A 128GB USB drive is $40 these days.

Last edited:

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
For the money you would put into fixing it up, you could buy a newer used Macbook that already has more storage and memory, plus newer processor.

Jkj12

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
The seven seas
It can take 2gb ram. Two 1gb sticks should be a fairly cheap and easy find on eBay. Find a cheap hdd and throw that in it, and run a fresh install of snow leopard. It definitely won't be a powerhouse, but should be acceptable for photos and a little surfing.
I wouldn't upgrade to an SSD or find a new battery. Simple not worth the money.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I have an older white MacBook (Core Duo, 60 GB HD, 1 GB memory) with a faulty battery. Gazelle and other places offer less than $30, so I thought about about upgrading its battery, HD, and memory and giving it to my wife who only has an iPad and needs somewhere to store her pictures (so she can decide which she wants to print out). So would it be a good idea to use this for pictures only? If so, should I bother upgrading its specs just to be safe?

Use it as chocks for your car when you park on a hill.

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
I have a white 2008 as well. I was just going to wipe it clean and throw it up on the "Bay." Looks like some of the bids are already at $175 and up

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I would likely put that device in the kitchen and use it for cooking recipes and shopping lists. Or maybe put it in the living room as an email station. The point is that device could see new life as a purpose-dedicated machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.