Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cockneyjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hey everyone,

Noob question...

I'm setting up my new mac and I'm noticing that some things are sticking to my desktop. In particular when I download google chrome the (I think it's called dmg?) doesn't leave my desktop. I thought that it would be a simple case of sending it to the trash but when I do, I have to redownload chrome.

I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about. Can you please let me know how I can get it off of my desktop? I like this to be tidy on there.

Cheers,

Jay

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 10.50.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 10.50.59 AM.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 5,287

cockneyjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2014
It doesn't let me do that.

Google Chrome is in my applications but when I go to delete the dmg it says the following.

The disk "Google Chrome" couldn't be ejected because "Google Chrome" is using it. Quit that application and try to eject the disk again.

So I quit the application and move the dmg to the trash and then Google Chrome is gone and I need to download it again.

This is where I'm having my problem. It seems to be a problem for all apps that I download from the internet that aren't directly from the App store.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
1. Quit the Chrome application

2. right click the Chrome icon on the desktop : "Eject" (do NOT move to Trash)

3. go to your Downloads folder, double click the .dmg file.

4. follow the linked page instructions.

cockneyjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Okay I've just figured out what was wrong. I don't fully understand it but this seemed to work.

I had to follow bruno's steps as I had done but this time, rather than drag and drop the app to my dock, I had to open it directly from the applications folder and then once I did that it appeared on my dock. Then I just needed to select keep in dock.

Dragging and dropping seemed to cause the issue for some reason.

Thanks for your help Bruno.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Okay I've just figured out what was wrong. I don't fully understand it but this seemed to work.

I had to follow bruno's steps as I had done but this time, rather than drag and drop the app to my dock, I had to open it directly from the applications folder and then once I did that it appeared on my dock. Then I just needed to select keep in dock.

Dragging and dropping seemed to cause the issue for some reason.

Thanks for your help Bruno.

The drag and drop failed the first time because you dragged it from the image onto your dock the first time, so all subsequent launches of the app from the dock were pointing at the disk image and not the copy you put in the applications folder.

You could have done the same by removing the alias from the dock (after quitting chrome) then dragging it back onto there using the one in the Applications folder.

For all future installs from disk images:

* open the disk image
* drag the application from within the image into your applications folder
* eject the image (drag it to the trash or right click, eject), *then* subsequently trash the image itself from your downloads folder
* launch the application from the apps folder. To make it stay in the dock after you quit it, either move it somewhere else in the dock or right click on it and select "keep in dock" under the option menu.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Very helpful. I have struggled with this a bit and was never quite sure what the issue was. Thanks! Most helpful!

I was coming over from 20+ years of Windows so the correct procedure was unfamiliar to me.

I somehow managed my way around it, most of the time, but without knowing how I did it :)

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Very helpful. I have struggled with this a bit and was never quite sure what the issue was. Thanks! Most helpful!

I was coming over from 20+ years of Windows so the correct procedure was unfamiliar to me.

I somehow managed my way around it, most of the time, but without knowing how I did it :)

Here's the right way to install apps:
1. Mount the DMG
2. Drag the app from the DMG and paste it into the Applications folder
3. Eject the DMG.
4. Launch app from Applications folder.

For DMGs that contain an installer (PKG) in it:
1. Mount the DMG
2. Run the PKG file
3. Follow prompts
4. Eject the DMG upon completion
5. Go to the Applications folder and launch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.