Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Wow, my first post an I'm the 200,000 thread!!

Hey guys, hoping someone would be able to help me.

My girlfriend recently got an iPhone 4 off her dads work friend - we have one problem. It has a passcode and a broken lock button, when I try to plug it into itunes it asks me to accept access to it on the iPhone, however I can't because its locked. Just wondering if anyone could help us in being able to restore it - thanks.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Wow, my first post an I'm the 200,000 thread!!

Hey guys, hoping someone would be able to help me.

My girlfriend recently got an iPhone 4 off her dads work friend - we have one problem. It has a passcode and a broken lock button, when I try to plug it into itunes it asks me to accept access to it on the iPhone, however I can't because its locked. Just wondering if anyone could help us in being able to restore it - thanks.

Ask her dads friend for the passcode?

Unless of course it's stolen, in which case no one can help you (thankfully).

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Nooo! it's not stolen, we've asked him but he has no idea - we think the only way we can get it unlocked is by logging into his iCloud...?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Passcodes and now iCloud lock were designed for theft prevention and protection.

If you cannot find the correct passcode then you have a useless device - even if you are legit. Apple will not help you.

If there was a way around the protection device just because someone has forgotten a passcode then that would defeat the purpose of the protection.

You are out of luck unless somebody can remember the correct code.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yes, you'll need his password to turn off iCloud.

No, there's no way to bypass it. No matter what the story this time.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Can someone riddle me this. If I have a 4 digit passcode, is anything stopping me from starting at 0000 and working my way up to 9999?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.