Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
So basically my home button works, but it feels weird. It's not loose, but it feels as though it's coming off a bit, and it makes a clicky noise, as though it's fitting into place when I use Reachability.

I've read online with people having home button issues on their 6s and that they go in for a device replacement. I don't particularly want this, I'd rather just have the button feeling more secure, so I asked in my local Apple store if they could replace the button, and whether it would affect TouchID.

They said they can, they replace the front panel with a new home button attached or something, and TouchID still works.

Two different people working at the Apple Store said this, and they each said it's the standard procedure since the 5s.

Just wondering if anyone can verify this? If so I'd go for that so that I can keep my device with a better fitting home button.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
So basically my home button works, but it feels weird. It's not loose, but it feels as though it's coming off a bit, and it makes a clicky noise, as though it's fitting into place when I use Reachability.

I've read online with people having home button issues on their 6s and that they go in for a device replacement. I don't particularly want this, I'd rather just have the button feeling more secure, so I asked in my local Apple store if they could replace the button, and whether it would affect TouchID.

They said they can, they replace the front panel with a new home button attached or something, and TouchID still works.

Two different people working at the Apple Store said this, and they each said it's the standard procedure since the 5s.

Just wondering if anyone can verify this? If so I'd go for that so that I can keep my device with a better fitting home button.

No, I believe that unless stores have a way to reprogram it (which I doubt), only the original home button will work with Touch ID.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I suggest q-tip + isopropyl alcohol around the edge of the button. I've had to do this several times since getting my 6 Plus. There are some other threads on this. It's just gunk buildup around the edges of the button. Depress the button while doing this.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Yes they wilI, had this problem on my first two iPhone 6 plus. After a couple weeks it felt like the home button was crunching while pressed.

The first time it happened after I my display replaced, I brought it back in and they said maybe something was unaligned during the screen replacement so they opened it up and checked it. Worked fine for a couple weeks again after that then started crunching again. They ended up replacing he whole phone the second time.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Just wondering if anyone can verify this?

Don't know why a random internet forum would be more believable than the actual Apple Store personnel, but...

Yes, if the home button needs to be replaced, the entire top, including the button, the display, the front-facing camera, are replaced. Been there, done that. Had mine done for a malfunctioning home button, they replaced the entire top. Then had it done again for the front-facing camera issue and got another top with another home button.

No, it doesn't affect TouchID other than that you should probably re-enroll your fingers because of the changed sensor. Whoever said that is an idiot.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No, I believe that unless stores have a way to reprogram it (which I doubt), only the original home button will work with Touch ID.

This. I believe the security in Touch ID prevents it from being employed when it detects foreign hardware. I believe that was why the iOS 8.0.1 install was such a big debacle. TouchID didn't see the LTE radio, and therefore stopped working.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Don't know why a random internet forum would be more believable than the actual Apple Store personnel, but...

Yes, if the home button needs to be replaced, the entire top, including the button, the display, the front-facing camera, are replaced. Been there, done that. Had mine done for a malfunctioning home button, they replaced the entire top. Then had it done again for the front-facing camera issue and got another top with another home button.

No, it doesn't affect TouchID other than that you should probably re-enroll your fingers because of the changed sensor. Whoever said that is an idiot.

I'm assuming this was on an iPhone 5?

95% of staff in an apple store wouldn't know which bits they can replace on what phones. Most people in there are purely sales staff, or have limited technical knowledge.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
What, so they replace the screen and home button and TouchID still works, or they can't do it?

:/

I suggest q-tip + isopropyl alcohol around the edge of the button. I've had to do this several times since getting my 6 Plus. There are some other threads on this. It's just gunk buildup around the edges of the button. Depress the button while doing this.

I'm not sure that that would work for me as the button doesn't crunch like there's gunk stuck inside it, it feels loose when tapping, like it's not fitted fully.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'm pretty sure that the Touch ID button is married to the device it came with. Even if you did get the screen replaced at the apple store, they will use your touch ID button that originally came with it. There is no way around this, unless Apple store has a machine to reprogram the touch ID.

You can however buy a replacement home button for your 6/6+ but keep in mind that you will lose the touch ID functionality.

Otherwise, Apple will replace the whole Unit for a service unit if there is any faulty with the touch ID.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Okay, so if they say its worthy of getting repaired/replaced, and I opt for a replacement, I have a couple of questions.

If I come to sell my iPhone, will there be a problem doing so since the IMEI won't match with the one on the box?

Secondly the replacement device, I know that they're usually remanufactured or whatever, but are they just as good as brand new? I feel a bit iffy about giving in my current one considering it is brand new. Well, a month old, but still.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Okay, so if they say its worthy of getting repaired/replaced, and I opt for a replacement, I have a couple of questions.

If I come to sell my iPhone, will there be a problem doing so since the IMEI won't match with the one on the box?

Secondly the replacement device, I know that they're usually remanufactured or whatever, but are they just as good as brand new? I feel a bit iffy about giving in my current one considering it is brand new. Well, a month old, but still.

Where did you buy it from?

At 1 month old, I wouldn't be accepting a refurbished model. They're generally as good as new, but our of principle I wouldn't.

If you bought it from Apple, ask them for a new replacement (sealed box) - if you bought it from a carrier ask them.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Bought it online through finance, the place where I bought it from would most likely tell me to take it to Apple.

If they can take the screen off and sort the button that way, then I'd be happy with that, still my phone, just with a new screen and a fixed button. But if they say they can only replace it, I doubt I'd get a new one, they'd only give refurbs, I thought?

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Touch ID buttons that apple has are different than OEM buttons bought from other places so it is possible that Apple can replace them and they still work with original hardware.

Iphone replacements are brand new from factory and not refurbished.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Touch ID buttons that apple has are different than OEM buttons bought from other places so it is possible that Apple can replace them and they still work with original hardware.

Iphone replacements are brand new from factory and not refurbished.

No, they're not. It's pot luck whether you get a new one (likely when it's a recently launched product) or refurbished one (likely ~1 month after launch).

Refurbished models will have new batteries and new outer casings. Everything else can be re-used.

As for the touch ID buttons, as I said, fingerprints are encrypted, and the buttons are tied to the MLB. Unless Apple has a way of reprogramming the MLB to accept a new button's key (unlikely in store, maybe at the service centre), they won't be able to.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
I don't understand why they said they can fix it by replacing the screen then? Unless they simply take off this screen, leaving the original button inside, fit it properly or whatever, and then reseal it with a new screen?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I'm assuming this was on an iPhone 5?

No, it was on a 6.

As I said, the first time the home button was failed, they replaced the entire top. Ended up with a super-clicky home button and had to re-enroll my fingers.

The second time was for the front camera, again they replaced the whole top and I ended up with a not-so-clicky home button and I had to re-enroll my fingers.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Just want to let you all know, I went the Apple Store today, showed them my home button, they said it was fixable by replacing the screen and the home button.

Left them to it, collected it after work, my home button is clicker than it was (it was very very soft beforehand), and there's no looseness whatsoever.

TouchID works as it should. I have my phone, same condition as it was when I left it with them (only fixed), and my phone all set up as it was previously.

Can't fault their service at all.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
There is no way around this, unless Apple store has a machine to reprogram the touch ID.

I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that Apple themselves would lack the tools to do this. I can understand random Joe Blow iPhone repair shop being unable to pair a new TouchID sensor with the phone, but why wouldn't Apple themselves be able to do it? They OWN the henhouse.

beto.silva.br

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015

I've had the very same problem. It was driving me crazy, especially because the people from Apple told me that was some sort of "cosmetic issue" and wouldn't do anything to fix it (as long as the button was working properly). I have fixed the clicking noise with kinda unusual solution: I saw a video of some dude (with the same issue, but on a 5s) using a cotton swab dipped in alcohol and applying on the button by pressing it around the edges (so the alcohol could get in) and the noise stopped. He thought that the problem was dirt. Well, it couldn't be dirt 'cause my phone was brand new but he gave me the idea to do the same thing but with a different product: WD-40 lubricant. It worked just fine! Not only the annoying clicking noise stopped, but the button also feels more steady. I don't know if the solution is permanent but it has been 10 days now and it feels the same as the day I did it. I am very disappointed at Apple, though...

----------

Instead of alcohol, I used the WD-40 lubricant, as it is humidity repellent. It's better - and less likely to side effects.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've had the very same problem. It was driving me crazy, especially because the people from Apple told me that was some sort of "cosmetic issue" and wouldn't do anything to fix it (as long as the button was working properly). I have fixed the clicking noise with kinda unusual solution: I saw a video of some dude (with the same issue, but on a 5s) using a cotton swab dipped in alcohol and applying on the button by pressing it around the edges (so the alcohol could get in) and the noise stopped. He thought that the problem was dirt. Well, it couldn't be dirt 'cause my phone was brand new but he gave me the idea to do the same thing but with a different product: WD-40 lubricant. It worked just fine! Not only the annoying clicking noise stopped, but the button also feels more steady. I don't know if the solution is permanent but it has been 10 days now and it feels the same as the day I did it. I am very disappointed at Apple, though...

----------

Instead of alcohol, I used the WD-40 lubricant, as it is humidity repellent. It's better - and less likely to side effects.
But alcohol evaporates and basically doesn't leave much behind, while with WD-40 you actually have something there now which can start gathering dirt and whatnot.

beto.silva.br

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
I didn't use alcohol because my issue wasn't dirt - I didn't mean to clean anything. My phone was brand new, just unpacked. What I needed was a lubricant. I read a lot about WD40 before applying it and - unlikely I've seen on few posts - it worked out perfectly. It doesn't attack plastic (cause it's not a solvent) and it doesn't accumulate dirt, cause it's thinner than water. Worked out for me.

Last edited:

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
I had a crackling sensation and noise on a brand new six plus home button out of the box. Bugged me like no other so returned it. Got a new six and the home button kinda moves around with thumb on it.

beto.silva.br

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
I had a crackling sensation and noise on a brand new six plus home button out of the box. Bugged me like no other so returned it. Got a new six and the home button kinda moves around with thumb on it.

Does it look like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cofwlRcy7K4

If so, WD-40 works. Mine is perfect for up to 20 days now. What it needs is lubrification. But do not spray directly to it... use a cotton swab with DW-40 around the edges.

WD-40 doesn't attack plastic as a lot of people are preaching... it is water repellant and evaporates leaving nothing but a really thin layer that lubricates the button.

Just be sure to clean the button from dirt specks before applying it...

Once again... my clicking home button had nothing to do with dirt...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.