Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
for the past couple of months, I've seen my tools bars on Safary, messages and many more without the translucency effect..the bars are just solid grey....I search the web and I saw that there was a setting in Accessibility which is "Reduce transparency" but I found that all that does is control the translucency of the menu bar and the dock, not the tool bars...

Anyone know what setting I need to change???

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
for the past couple of months, I've seen my tools bars on Safary, messages and many more without the translucency effect..the bars are just solid grey....I search the web and I saw that there was a setting in Accessibility which is "Reduce transparency" but I found that all that does is control the translucency of the menu bar and the dock, not the tool bars...

Anyone know what setting I need to change???

Can you post pictures of what you are referring to.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Can you post pictures of what you are referring to.

Ive attached a picture where Safari is selected and one where Finder is selected...Notice that the side bar in Finder is not translucide, and that was one of the thing that they highlighted in the Yosemite keynote

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-28__2_16_PM22.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-28__2_16_PM22.png
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_2015-03-28__2_16_PM.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-28__2_16_PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 94

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Ive attached a picture where Safari is selected and one where Finder is selected...Notice that the side bar in Finder is not translucide, and that was one of the thing that they highlighted in the Yosemite keynote

Have you tried enabling/disabling the transparency and contrast settings in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display?

Edit: Ah sorry, read over your sentence. I think it definitely looks odd though.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Yes, there should be translucency in the finder side window. As far as Safari, mine looks pretty much like yours. I don't see any translucency on my Safari menubar.

Not sure if you have tried this but try creating a new user account, reboot and login to the new user and see if the issue still happens. I would also suggest maybe repair permissions and maybe PRAM reset.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Yes, there should be translucency in the finder side window. As far as Safari, mine looks pretty much like yours. I don't see any translucency on my Safari menubar.

Not sure if you have tried this but try creating a new user account, reboot and login to the new user and see if the issue still happens. I would also suggest maybe repair permissions and maybe PRAM reset.

What's that??? (And next for the help :) )

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
What's that??? (And next for the help :) )

Open the Disk Utility application in the Utilities folder. Select the name of your internal hard (Macintosh HD?) and press the Repair Permissions button. This will check to make sure that all your system files have the correct permission on them. Sometimes when the permissions are not correct things on the Mac will stop working correctly.

To reset PRAM, hold down CMD key-P-R keys all at the same time while booting. When you hear the second bong, which will be full volume, release the keys and let the computer boot normally. The computer will reboot twice. There are parameters stored in PRAM and this clears them. Sometimes PRAM needs to be cleared.

Try these things plus a new user account and see if any of them help.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA

The Safari sidebars are translucent to the desktop or lower windows; the menu/toolbar is translucent to the web site content; if you scroll a web page up, the translucency will show through the tool/title/tab bars.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
The Safari sidebars are translucent to the desktop or lower windows; the menu/toolbar is translucent to the web site content; if you scroll a web page up, the translucency will show through the tool/title/tab bars.

well its not, I attached a picture of something in safari. Notice the red picture of Taz Manguz at the top, there doesn't seem to be translucency..

I know this may not seem like a big deal, but I find the translucency really really nice..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-28__7_48_PM.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-28__7_48_PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 96

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015

I went in my Guest Account AND THERE IS TRANSLUCENCY IN THE FINDER SIDE BAR :eek: (I attached a picture)

what does that mean??

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 70

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!! I JUST WENT BACK IN ACCESSIBILITY AND THE "REDUCE TRANSPARENCY WAS TURNED ON!!!!! I swear I turned it off...I think its turning back on by itself....???

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

I just looked and the translucency is there. It is subtle which why I probably had not noticed before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.