Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hi all,

I'm looking to order a new BTO iMac in the next week or so.
My existing iMac is a late 2009 27" running 10.9.5
Obviously the new iMac will come with Yosemite fully installed which means I'll have to transition from Mavericks.
So... a couple of important questions...
1) - before updating would it be wiser to update my existing system to Yosemite rather then risk migrating my data & then updating it on the new system?
2) - I still use iPhoto '09 (8.1) as I personally think the latest versions of iPhoto are non-intuitive, feature reduced, iOS-style eye-candy but... I will have no choice but to update iPhoto as '09 isn't supported by Yosemite. Again... would I be better to update my app & library on my present machine before migrating?
I will of course be keeping a full clone of my existing system for the short term so if anything goes pear-shaped it won't be lost but just want to make this as hassle-free as is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hi all,

I'm looking to order a new BTO iMac in the next week or so.
My existing iMac is a late 2009 27" running 10.9.5
Obviously the new iMac will come with Yosemite fully installed which means I'll have to transition from Mavericks.
So... a couple of important questions...
1) - before updating would it be wiser to update my existing system to Yosemite rather then risk migrating my data & then updating it on the new system?

You are fine copying over the data from Mavericks to Yosemite.

2) - I still use iPhoto '09 (8.1) as I personally think the latest versions of iPhoto are non-intuitive, feature reduced, iOS-style eye-candy but... I will have no choice but to update iPhoto as '09 isn't supported by Yosemite. Again... would I be better to update my app & library on my present machine before migrating?

When you copy over the iPhoto library to the new machine and launch the newest iPhoto it will convert the library over for you. So it is not necessary to install Yosemite on the '09 iMac to do the conversion before hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.