Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
One could create a new Keychain, and store the secure notes there. Leave the login keychain's password set to the login password.

To access the secure notes, the new keychain will have to be manually unlocked, or it can be configured to allow access to certain programs. This is done using the Keychain Access app.

That is a nice work around. :)

Multipass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Weaselboy, out of curiosity, what would be involved with using Filevault2? Would it slow my system down? Would there be any issues to deal with? Or would it be invisible?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy, out of curiosity, what would be involved with using Filevault2? Would it slow my system down? Would there be any issues to deal with? Or would it be invisible?

You can read more about it at that link I gave your earlier, but it is very easy to turn on. You just go to the Security pane in System Prefs and turn it on, and the system will reboot and walk you through the process. Once the encryption is done, it is very transparent and everything works pretty much the same.

There is a little of slowdown in disk access speeds, but most people don't notice it at all. Here are some before and after tests.

if you have anything at all on there you want to keep away from the baddies, there really is no good reason not to use Filvault.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What about Time Machine backups, will they be protected?

They can be, but that is a separate setting. Go into your Time Machine settings and turn on encryption.

Just click the "select disk" button and check the box.

RSlwjjR.png

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Bologna, I haven't changed any of my needs. Jeeze, some of you are just pissy.

Thanks, but none of this actually helps me. I'm glad I have you a stage to tell us how great you are.
Lolz! There's more to my show, I'll be here all week. I didn't want you to be over confident with your password solutions... and to understand that keychain is really one of the better solutions. Is an MD great when he tells you how sick you are? Is he great when he tells you why you are sick?

Last edited:

Multipass

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Lolz! There's more to my show, I'll be here all week. I didn't want you to be over confident with your password solutions... and to understand that keychain is really one of the better solutions. Is an MD great when he tells you how sick you are? Is he great when he tells you why you are sick?

Since you brought it up, what you did is the same as an MD saying how he can cure cancer and AIDS and beat any other illness in 10 minutes.

Get over yourself.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Since you brought it up, what you did is the same as an MD saying how he can cure cancer and AIDS and beat any other illness in 10 minutes.

Get over yourself.
Excellent, that is certainly the MD I'd like to work with. I'm sorry you are having trouble turning on FileVault and using spreadsheets for passwords.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.