Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCMacUser2015

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Hello, folks.

I've an early 2011 MacBook Pro. I deleted GarageBand from my MacBook (long story) and want to reinstall the version originally installed on my MacBook. After some Googling, I couldn't find out exactly which version of GarageBand comes installed on early 2011 MacBook Pros but I DID read it's possible to reinstall the version I want (whichever it is) but it's a HUGE pain in the ass.

I'm wondering: is it possible to copy or migrate the program (if that's the correct word) from my girlfriend's MacBook? She has a mid-2009 MacBook Pro, which comes with GarageBand '09 (Version 5.1).

I want to use the original version that came with my laptop because a) I have lots of files I backed up in that version, b) I know how to use that version, and c) I've read nothing but awful reviews of the latest GarageBand.

Can anyone offer advice? I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2014
I doubt it, however it may be possible. Just copy ALL of the files from her Mac onto a USB, and then put them all into the right places on your Mac. Try opening the software, and see what happens. It may work, it may not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.