Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
I received my second hand Mac Mini 2012 i7 QC 2.6 GHz about two months ago and finally got around adding a second SSD in RAID0 making it the most maxed out option out there I believe :)

xNNMlpml.jpg

Go9NROzl.jpg

I'm really happy with the result although I might not have a real purpose for the upgrade gheghe. But come on: 1GB/s it makes it a "screamer" to talk in the words of Jobs, it does feel even snappier with the second 840Pro 256GB!

suzyj

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
Just ordered my third 2014 mac mini. 2.6GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB fusion drive.

These little computers are way too cool. They use barely any power, are super fast, incredibly quiet...

The other two are running as HTPCs (one in our lounge, one in my accommodation at work - I spend quite a lot of time away from home). They're running with 2TB hard drives, one with a fusion drive and one without.

The plan is to use the SSD from the new one to make both the HTPC machines identical, and to install mythtv backend on the new one so it can record telly for us.

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
Arrived Thurs~last night did the migration which went very well, didn't even have to log back into programs at all when I opened them up on the new mini. It had Mavericks installed, will do the upgrade to 10.10 today...now just have to learn all the differences in the jump from Snow Leopard to Yosemite:cool:

Got tired of the beach ball~~~upgraded to 16GB RAM and made all the difference in the world..shouldn't have waited for RAM upgrade...now debating whether to go Yosemite or not..:eek:

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Got tired of the beach ball~~~upgraded to 16GB RAM and made all the difference in the world..shouldn't have waited for RAM upgrade...now debating whether to go Yosemite or not..:eek:

I have the same Mac Mini and recently upgraded it to 16GB. I still get the Spinning Beach Ball every now-and-then which could be a sign that my 500GB HD is failing??

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have the same Mac Mini and recently upgraded it to 16GB. I still get the Spinning Beach Ball every now-and-then which could be a sign that my 500GB HD is failing??

Not necessarily, probably not even likely. Run some diagnostics to check HDDs, spinners, are just plain slower to access files than SSDs. A spinning beach ball every now and then is expected.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012
First time Mac user!

just got my mac mini 1.4 ghz i5.. Pretty solid for me altough not upgrading the memory is a bummer. I do light to medium work on my computer photoshop , light video editing, music, surfing ,emails and at times run some intensive apps.

For me this is mid range, Im coming from windows which had an older intel chip in it

Can the chip be overlocked?

rvs007

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
Canada
just got my mac mini 1.4 ghz i5.. Pretty solid for me altough not upgrading the memory is a bummer. I do light to medium work on my computer photoshop , light video editing, music, surfing ,emails and at times run some intensive apps.

For me this is mid range, Im coming from windows which had an older intel chip in it

Can the chip be overlocked?

I don't think the processor can be overclocked by the user (in a traditional PC sense), but it does support Turbo Boost which means it will ramp up to 2.7Ghz to improve performance as needed.

Having 4GB for light photoshop & video editing shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately because the RAM is not user upgradable, if you find you need more RAM later, you won't be able to add it after the fact.

But this being your first Mac, there will be plenty to learn and love about Mac OS X... I recently bought our first Mac Mini as well (but we opted for the 2012 version and upgraded the RAM to 16GB) and I'm a long-time Windows user so it has taken me a fair bit of time to get used to all the different keyboard shortcuts and different ways of doing things in Mac OSX.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
got mine

A couple of months ago, I got my wife a mid Mac Mini to replace her virus riddled Win pc. I could't stand it. So today I walked into an Apple store close to work and pulled out some cash that I'd been saving up electronics and got myself one of the mid level mini's.
I'm typing on it now. The learning really begins since I don't have to share anymore. :D
Bootcamp will be on the top of my list as I need a couple of windows programs for work.
Yeah, I know that this model isn't upgradable etc, but honestly this thing has got all the horsepower I'll ever need.

mauka

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
Just ordered a refurb Mini - Good selection today!

Apple Refurbished Store had a wide selection of Minis to choose from today, and I picked a 2014 2.8 i5 with 16GB RAM and 1TB Fusion drive for $1,019.00, added AppleCare and ETA is Monday.

Sold my 2010 iMac 27" i7 that was also purchased as a refurb, it was somewhat jinxed but AppleCare saved my sanity. It went in for repairs four times, including motherboard, video board, and hard drive replacement. Sold it for $800 a couple of weeks ago.

If you're in the market - good selection of Minis right now...(3/26 9:00 AM West Coast Time).

And 3 hours later Apple has shipped my order!

And 24 hours later the Apple refurb store has only one Mini left.
=========================================
Refurbished Mac Mini 3.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
Originally released October 2014
8GB memory, 1TB hard drive - $849
=========================================

Four years ago, when looking for my refub iMac, I used a web site that tracked availability. I didn't use anything this time, but this web site might help https://www.refurb.me/us/ (not sure this is the same service I used 4 years ago - YMMV)

Last edited:

MSFT

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
I just got my 2013 MBA 1.3/4/128 back from its second logic board replacement (warranty out in 3 months). Thinking of selling it and replacing with a Mac Mini (already have a DMK). It sounds like I want a 2012 that I can upgrade with an SSD and more RAM later (right now, 4gb is enough. I only surf the web, use Microsoft Office, and stream Netflix).

^^When you say the market is good, do you mean on the Apple Refurb site, Craigslist, eBay...?

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I searched for a 2012 Mac mini for almost a month here in the US. Found nothing for sale. So I guess you could say this is a sellers market. I finally broke down and bought a mid-level 2014 figuring I will never need to upgrade further than that anyway.
Good luck finding a 2012 model, especially with specs that you want.
I searched everywhere: Apples refurbished website, eBay, craigslist, the marketplace here at MR and the web in general. I did find a couple in merry old England but that's an ocean away.
Edit
I see a post above mine here stating they found a good selection of Mac Minis on the Apple website. I guess that fluctuates because every time I looked they had absolutely zero.

mauka

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
MSFT

^^When you say the market is good, do you mean on the Apple Refurb site, Craigslist, eBay...?

Apple refurb site. Full one year warranty, ships free via FedEx 2 day, product looks new, and it's packed like new except in a plain white box. Eligible for AppleCare, which @ $99 for the Mini, is what I consider a deal. Add to your cart when checking out and it's automatically enrolled, no need to bring to the Apple Store for inspection.

But availability spikes quickly. I've been checking twice a day for a week, then they had a new batch, at least twelve, including what I was looking for. I ordered within 10 minutes. Checking this morning, 24 hours later, there is only one left.

You might want to use a service like this one,

https://www.refurb.me/us/

Last edited:

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I bought a midrange 2014 Mac Mini about a week ago on sale for $599.99. Compared to my base 2011 Mini with 8gb's a ram, it's quite a bit faster. I like that it runs significantly cooler. One other thing, when I wake it up from sleep, it wakes my 46" Samsung within 2 seconds compared to 10 to 15 seconds with my 2011 mini.

iMidway

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
I bought my mid-level Mac Mini over a week ago to replace my Windows desktop so I am now all Apple! I am really loving my Mini :)

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I bought my mid-level Mac Mini over a week ago to replace my Windows desktop so I am now all Apple! I am really loving my Mini :)

me too. I do have to run a couple of windows programs for work, so I bought a Win 7 key and will run bootcamp. Hope it works. right now, I'm running 2 different desktops, but mainly on the mid level 2014 that I just bought a week ago as well.
I'm a little afraid of trying bootcamp. there are some folks that say it's hard to set up. Maybe next weekend. ;)

iMidway

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
me too. I do have to run a couple of windows programs for work, so I bought a Win 7 key and will run bootcamp. Hope it works. right now, I'm running 2 different desktops, but mainly on the mid level 2014 that I just bought a week ago as well.
I'm a little afraid of trying bootcamp. there are some folks that say it's hard to set up. Maybe next weekend. ;)

Fortunately I do not need Windows here at home so my Mini will remain "pure" so to speak. I do enough on Windows machines at work and it is a pleasure to come home to my Macs in the evenings.

Here is the list of peripherals attached to the Mini:

HP Envy 23" monitor (I had a Benq 27" but it was too big for my small desk. The Envy has sharper graphics. I thought the base on the Envy was aluminum in the pics but when it came in I discovered it was white so I painted the base aluminum and slapped one of the Apple decals I had on it)

Logitech 5.1 speakers (this was used on my old Windows computer)

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Superdrive (I use this mainly to rip DVDs so I can play movies on my :apple: TV from my Mini's hard drive)

HP Photosmart D110 printer (been using this for a while, works great with Macs even the iPhone)

Satechi monitor stand (monitor and Superdrive on top, Mini underneath)

Satechi Aluminum mouse pad

My journey into Apple started back in July when I bought my first Apple product, a MBA and now I have a nice Apple ecosystem here at home.

mauka

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
Refurbished Mac Mini

FYI - photo of what came in Mac Mini Refurb box, not the same retail box, plain white outside, but well packed and looking factory fresh. The AppleCare enrollment shipped in a separate envelope, both by FedEx. Computer is working well, the fusion drive makes it seem faster than my old iMac i7 with standard 1TB, very happy with this computer so far.

IMG_4442.jpg

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Took the plunge and bought a new Mini today! It's the 2,6GHz model with 1TB hard drive. I'll swap that out with the SSD that's in my 2010 the moment it arrives ;) Now I'll finally be able to edit videos without Final Cut crapping out on me. Especially the new 3D titles are something I'd like to get into, which was pretty much impossible on the 2010.

The price was alright, found it for €689 incl tax. Not bad since it'll probably last me another 4-5 years.

As for the 2010, I'll probably put it on eBay with the 1TB drive from the 2014.

AOMG

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
Do any of you guys know where I can still purchase a quad core Mac Mini, and did apple allow the new models to be opened up?

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Do any of you guys know where I can still purchase a quad core Mac Mini, and did apple allow the new models to be opened up?

To answer your second question: officially Apple does not allow the Mini to be opened up, but it's fairly easy to do so anyway. I did it last night and even though you have to take the whole thing apart just to replace the hard drive, it seemed easier than swapping a drive on my 2010 (had to remove twice as many screws on the 2010).

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Fortunately I do not need Windows here at home so my Mini will remain "pure" so to speak. I do enough on Windows machines at work and it is a pleasure to come home to my Macs in the evenings.

Here is the list of peripherals attached to the Mini:

HP Envy 23" monitor (I had a Benq 27" but it was too big for my small desk. The Envy has sharper graphics. I thought the base on the Envy was aluminum in the pics but when it came in I discovered it was white so I painted the base aluminum and slapped one of the Apple decals I had on it)

Logitech 5.1 speakers (this was used on my old Windows computer)

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Superdrive (I use this mainly to rip DVDs so I can play movies on my :apple: TV from my Mini's hard drive)

HP Photosmart D110 printer (been using this for a while, works great with Macs even the iPhone)

Satechi monitor stand (monitor and Superdrive on top, Mini underneath)

Satechi Aluminum mouse pad

My journey into Apple started back in July when I bought my first Apple product, a MBA and now I have a nice Apple ecosystem here at home.

Definitely habit forming. I'm getting lots of Apple stud myself. #

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014

They have them on ebay but the prices are insanely marked up. They are in high demand.

But the 2014 mini has WAY better graphics, wifi ac, thunderbolt 2, and pci-e ssd. Too bad the spec-enthusiasts here are so fixated on quad core everything.

tjay76

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
New Mac Next week

Hi all, I will be buying my new Mac Mini next week, (I'm saving up as we speak LOL) I got disheartened with Microsoft due to 4 errors they made, which was the end of Technet Subscriptions, I used those at home and built a media PC and a homeserver, both of which too Microsoft have ended along with THAT metro style start screen, I have been looking for a replacement for most of my devices.

I had an Iphone 5c - now upgraded to an Iphone 5S, Apple TV for my media centre needs, and an Ipad. Up to now I hve been very impressed with the Apple ecosystem and canno believe how much I have hyped myself up for an IMac Mini seriously cannot wait to buy it (wished I had the money now LOL)

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Just ordered a brand new 2.6 i5/8GB/256GB using Education pricing from the Apple Store.
This will be my always-on machine for iTunes streaming as well as general productivity stuff. I was debating bumping to 16GB memory but cannot justify the cost. I don't do video or photo editing.
I have a 27" UHD monitor, trackpad and keyboard already, and will probably get a 256GB SSD external drive to add some capacity.

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
Yesterday, I ordered a 2.8 GHz/i5/8GB RAM/1TB Fusion refurb ($849)+ a refurb Thunderbolt display ($799). Timing of the purchase wasn't ideal given that updates are only a few months away, but it's replacing a 2007 iMac that's seriously on its last legs. Even my non-techie wife said "We need a new computer". This was the least amount I could spend on an all Apple setup (yep, I want the Apple logo on my monitor) and still get something that should suffice for our needs...at least for the short term.

I had the mini and monitor shipped to a local Apple Store and should be able to pick them up early next week. I'm looking forward to setting it up.

----------

...finally got around adding a second SSD in RAID0...

I'm really happy with the result although I might not have a real purpose for the upgrade gheghe.

Speed don't need no reason!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.