Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
I am trying to install a copy of TurboTax on my Mac. I own the DVD/CD, but don't have an optical drive on my machine. I do have a spare Windows machine (Panasonic toughbook) that I can use, but when I open up the Turbotax folder, I do not see the DMG file.

The CD/DVD says it is for BOTH Windows and Mac. So I am assuming there is a dmg on there somewhere.

Anyone know how I can open it on the Windows machine, and transfer it to a thumbdrive so I can install it on my Mac?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
The CD/DVD says it is for BOTH Windows and Mac. So I am assuming there is a dmg on there somewhere.

dmg stands for "disk image" so the DVD may just have the installer files on it directly - its already a disk.

If you navigate the disk is there a "Mac" folder?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I can provide additional information, but not an immediate solution.

I also have the 2014 Intuit TurboTax Deluxe for Mac & PC. The CD automatically opens a window showing the "TurboTax Deluxe 2014" app and to drag it to the Applications folder when I load the CD into the built in Superdrive of my 2011 MBP. I can not see any files for PC. It appears that Intuit has built the CD to only show the Mac or PC file for the computer system that has mounted the CD. The Mac "TurboTax Deluxe 2014" app is 317.6 Mb.

I would recommend contacting Intiuit support for help, find a friend that can mount the CD on a Mac to copy the file to a USB thumb drive, or purchase a external Superdrive to handle this and future access to CD/DVDs.

I hope this info helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.