Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoorayHenry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
I know that similar questions have been posted before, but I'm looking for a little more detail...
Do the iMessage ellipsis ONLY appear whilst typing? For example, if someone has iMessage open on their iPhone or Mac, on our conversation, as do I, and I'm swiping through the previous messages, or swiping to check the time a message was sent, or clicking on pictures they've sent, will the ellipsis show?
I don't have access to another iPhone/Mac, or I'd check it out myself!!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As far as I know, it only shows up when text has been typed into the text field in iMessage.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
ellipsis are only shown when you or the other person is typing a text message (via iMessage). He/She see's yours and you see theirs

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
ellipsis are only shown when you or the other person is typing a text message (via iMessage). He/She see's yours and you see theirs

As in they simply have the cursor in the message field, or they typed even a single character, or they are actively typing?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Any form of typing from the first letter to the period.

So simply having the cursor there without typing anuthing in wont do anything? And as soon as even one letter is typed then the indicator is there--but is it if typing is happening or if anything has been typed in and even just left alone (not sent) just sitting there indefinitely?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
So simply having the cursor there without typing anuthing in wont do anything? And as soon as even one letter is typed then the indicator is there--but is it if typing is happening or if anything has been typed in and even just left alone (not sent) just sitting there indefinitely?

Correct, the second I write the "T" in the, it will display. I have done gif files of the ellipses to my friends, all the see is the the constant indefinite bubbles.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I know that similar questions have been posted before, but I'm looking for a little more detail...
Do the iMessage ellipsis ONLY appear whilst typing? For example, if someone has iMessage open on their iPhone or Mac, on our conversation, as do I, and I'm swiping through the previous messages, or swiping to check the time a message was sent, or clicking on pictures they've sent, will the ellipsis show?
I don't have access to another iPhone/Mac, or I'd check it out myself!!

Why don't you just test it out with a friend? Seems a lot easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.