Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Hello gang.

Just bought a new house and want to install an in-wall, or in-ceiling speakers. They have to be AirPlay compatible. Looked around there does not seem to be a flush mounted wall or ceiling speaker that works with AirPlay. Is this idea absurd?

1. But an airport express (refurb can be $65 on Apple Store)
2. Buy a set of wall mounted speakers
3. Attach speakers to analog audio output of airport (have to figure out how to split the audio signal for a pair of speakers)
4. Power airport through regular electric line

Have it all concealed within wall/ceiling

Repeat in other locations around the house.

Is it a crazyyy idea????

Opinions? Thanks!

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Thanks. Why is an amplifier needed? Can the AE just be connected to an individual set (2) speakers?

I have to admit that I know nothing about this.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Thanks. Why is an amplifier needed? Can the AE just be connected to an individual set (2) speakers?

I have to admit that I know nothing about this.
As the above poster pointed out, no you can't, unless the speakers are powered which means they have amps built into them.
I don't know of any powered in-wall speakers. I doubt they exist because it doesn't make sense.
So you are going to need an amplifier to drive the speakers.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hello gang.

Just bought a new house and want to install an in-wall, or in-ceiling speakers. They have to be AirPlay compatible. Looked around there does not seem to be a flush mounted wall or ceiling speaker that works with AirPlay. Is this idea absurd?

3. Attach speakers to analog audio output of airport (have to figure out how to split the audio signal for a pair of speakers)

Is it a crazyyy idea????

Opinions? Thanks!

Nothing crazy about it. The simplest implementation is to drive all speakers from a single amp fed by the AExpres. I drive 4 pairs of ceiling speakers:

AExp > Amplifier > speaker splitter > volume control > speaker pair

Multi zone can be a little trickier and much more expensive as the gear can increase significantly in cost. In my case, every bedroom and common area already has a TV+amplified speakers+Apple TV which inherently provides a multi zone capability throughout the house. All controlled by a single iOS device or computer if desired.

PoppaKap

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I used my old stereo receiver. Plugged in airport express as my only input. Wired monoprice ceiling speakers to it. I have wireless controlled whole house audio for like $500. It is rock solid stable, plays Spotify instantly, and sounds decent.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Thanks. Now I get it.

So the set up for zoned audio per room would be:

AE can get at 65 on refurb store
Amplifier can get this one for $55

Pyle Home PCA3 150-Watt Stereo Mini Power Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P2R1RW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_CgCfvb0EH3YAJ
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P2R1RW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_CgCfvb0EH3YAJ

And 2 speakers: cheapo at $35 the pair

Pyle PDIC60 In-Wall / In-Ceiling Dual 6.5-Inch Speaker System, Directable Tweeter, 2-Way, Flush Mount, White (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LCL90/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_RlCfvb1NRD9KV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LCL90/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_RlCfvb1NRD9KV

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Personally, I would avoid mounting the Express in the wall or ceiling. There are electrical codes that would be violated if you did that coupled with the fact that it is a royal pain to try and reset it if needed. Personally, I would run the speaker wiring down into a cover plate and connect the Express to that. You may want to consider running Ethernet to the Express instead of using Wi-Fi to avoid interference.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
That's a good point. My hope is three or four zones. I'm Not sure if the best set up is to have the amplifiers in a cabinet on the first floor and all the wires going from there, or wether is best to have the amplifiers and AEs on a nice shelf on each room and from there wires going into the ceiling speakers.

The last one seems to be a better solution. Since the home is already Ethernet wired and it has two floors.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
That's a good point. My hope is three or four zones. I'm Not sure if the best set up is to have the amplifiers in a cabinet on the first floor and all the wires going from there, or wether is best to have the amplifiers and AEs on a nice shelf on each room and from there wires going into the ceiling speakers.

The last one seems to be a better solution. Since the home is already Ethernet wired and it has two floors.

I would have the Express on a shelf and then run the cables through the faceplate to where they need to go. Since you got Ethernet drops in your house, you are already halfway there! What is the main router on the network going to be?

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
I would have the Express on a shelf and then run the cables through the faceplate to where they need to go. Since you got Ethernet drops in your house, you are already halfway there! What is the main router on the network going to be?

Currently I live on a apartment and use a Time capsule that serves as my wireless router that is enough to power 2 AppleTVs (one of them wired to it the other one wireless) and one Mac mini that is connected to the living room TV and holds the media. I have a small army of wireless devices as I have two children with iPads, wife has MacBook and 2 cellphones. As I move to a wired place I have yet to figure out what's best. I do know, that I will need some AEs to extend the range upstairs and to the garage, maybe even backyard.

Right know I'm trying to figure out what's the ideal way to bring everything together using Apple technology and apple compatible devices. So far, living on a smaller place everything works fine, but I'm planning to add a second Nest, security cameras outside, the sound, and even a smart door lock down the road.

I will move next week and start checking what the options are.

Last edited:

takiv

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
Moonville, SC
I use a russound abus 4 zone single source in wall hub. It mounts in a 2gang box. I have cat 5 cable running from it to to each zone, which terminates at a keypad. The keypad turns each zone on/off and controls volume. From each keypad I run cl2 speaker cable to wall or ceiling speakers. I use a refurb airport express to bring audio source to my amplifier, the run a rca cable, audio out from reciever to abus hub. I have ceiling mounted speakers in master, living room, wall mounter weather proof speakers on patio and garage. System has worked well for 10 years.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Hello gang.

Is it a crazyyy idea????

Opinions? Thanks!
Please forgive me for (perhaps) hijacking this thread, but in the spirit of considering all your options, have you looked at Sonos? The equipment may be more expensive than the AirPlay approach, but factoring in the time/cost of wiring, etc., the total cost may be comparable.

I have no affiliation with Sonos, other than being a very happy user.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Wow. Sonos is awesome! It might be what I'm looking for.

Thanks. It seems that I can spare wiring and drilling and just set up the system all around the house.

Will check the system and let all know.

Last edited:

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Wow. Sonos is awesome! It might be what I'm looking for.

Thanks. It seems that I can spare wiring and drilling and just set up the system all around the house.

Will check the system and let all know.
While you're checking out Sonos, I recomnend you also visit the Sonos forums. I've received some very good info from other users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.