Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
The Sawtooth I picked up yesterday does not seem to have any temperature sensors, at least none that the apps I have can detect.
Is this the norm for a Sawtooth or am I missing something?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The only G4 processor with an integrated temperature sensor is the 7447a, used in late Powerbooks. The MDDs also have one on the processor card.

The only temperature you can read on most G4 towers is the hard drive temperature.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The Sawtooth I picked up yesterday does not seem to have any temperature sensors, at least none that the apps I have can detect.
Is this the norm for a Sawtooth or am I missing something?
You are not missing anything. Not until the Albooks and the MDDs/G5s did we get sensors.

My QS does not have any sensors either. I have to judge based solely on hard drive temps.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thanks guys, and in my rush to stick an SSD in this thing it seems I've even defeated the only sensor it had.
Might just put the 7200 rpm HD back in, the SSD does not show much improvement on xBench runs.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
All PowerPC CPUs starting with the G3 have an onboard thermal diode. But it was disabled starting with some version of 10.3 because it was highly inaccurate unless calibrated for the machine.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
All PowerPC CPUs starting with the G3 have an onboard thermal diode. But it was disabled starting with some version of 10.3 because it was highly inaccurate unless calibrated for the machine.

Does that mean that(assuming I could find a program) I should be able to read temperatures in 10.2 and earlier as well as OS 9?

Even if not calibrated, once I'd established a baseline idle temperature and a full load temperature I could at least have an idea of when something was really going out of whack.

Of course, it looks like Temperature Monitor 4.7 needs 10.3.8, and I don't know offhand of any other programs.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Yes, the problem would be finding a program that can read it.

Apparently Powerlogix Speedmeter 1.3 would do it under OS 9(I found several articles on ZIF G4 upgrades that discussed using it to monitor temperatures) but I have been unable to find a copy of that program.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I was pointed toward these two programs on Macintosh Garden

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/gauge-pro

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/powerlogix-g3g4-cache-profiler-linuxppc-1999

I tried the second one(CacheProfiler only-not the full Linux distro) and it does read a CPU temperature in OS 9. Unfortunately, it reported an idle CPU temperature of 0ºC on my dual 500mhz GigE, so the calibration is definitely still way off.

I need to go do some things to get the computer under load and the CPU heated up, then see if it registers a higher temperature. If nothing else, 15 minutes or so with the CPU pegged might at least get me a range of
"normal" readings.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The first program I linked above-Newertech Gauge Pro-actually looks to do a decent job.

I installed it on my GigE, and it initially reported a temperature of 100ºF, which seemed pretty reasonable given that I had used the computer a little bit and just installed a program.

I fired up Photoshop to convert the OS 9 screen shots to .png. As you can see, at least initially Photoshop didn't get it that warm. I opened a photo, however, and applied a few filters to it. I managed to get it up to 110ºF, which I think is pretty reasonable. As far as I know Photoshop 7 is actually smart enough to use both processors, and it also lacks some of the really resource-draining stuff of later versions like distortion correction.

I think that CS 2(which does have a distortion correction filter) will run in 10.2.8, so if I had a temperature monitor app that would work in 10.2 I could try to really push the CPU and see where the temperatures went.

I've been using complex integrals in Mathematica to benchmark 604Es, so it might be a good candidate for pushing temperatures up also. The version I'm using is old enough that I'm sure it won't use Altivec, and I also don't know if it multiprocessor aware(installing it on my 9600/200MP should be able to answer the multiprocessor question pretty easily, as I have some times for it on a single 200mhz 8600).

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 103

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
There's is a little app from Marcel Breznik the author of "Temperature Monitor" which can be found here called SystemLoad, it's sole purpose to to apply loads to your system.
Just dawned on me that this is an OS X app...:eek:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.