Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
So no OLED until Apple goes to the dark side with iOS. I'm still wondering what the star attraction of the 6s could possibly be. A dual-lens camera would be, but it doesn't look like the 6s will get that.

No OLED until Samsung opens up current gen OLED to other manufacturers. They currently only sell their previous generation panels to other OEMs. Apple sinks a lot of marketing into their displays. Being a year behind a Samsung device in screen in terms of quality wouldn't be their best decision.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
The A5 devices are most likely going to be discontinued this fall (5C, iPad Mini 1 and Touch 5). I'm betting that the 6C will have an A7.

The iPhone 5c has an Apple A6 SoC, same as the original iPhone 5. It is close to 3 times the speed of the old Apple A5 SoC found in the iPhone 4s and iPad 2.

The rumored iPhone 6c would more likely have the Apple A8 while the new iPhone 6s would have the Apple A9 on a 14nm FinFET process (Samsung's foundry again).

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The iPhone 5c has an Apple A6 SoC, same as the original iPhone 5. It is close to 3 times the speed of the old Apple A5 SoC found in the iPhone 4s and iPad 2.

The rumored iPhone 6c would more likely have the Apple A8 while the new iPhone 6s would have the Apple A9 on a 14nm FinFET process (Samsung's foundry again).

Yep, I should have stated that both the A5 and A6 IOS devices will most likely discontinued in September 2015 (iPad Mini 1, iPod Touch 5, and the iPhone 5C).

Even though the A6 SoC is much faster, it will most likely be A7 or better (64 bit) for IOS 10.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
I still hope they'll offer a full range of 6S's even if the 4 inch is A8... hopefully.

Some people do prefer phones with buttons, but thats a huge difference and not many iPhone lovers would be that way inclined, but there are a heap of iPhone users who would love a 4 inch phone.. there are heaps on Maceumours and I know there are even more out there.

there are. now. a year or two from now, when there will be no choice (aside from using a 5s with a non-updatable iOS) they will switch. it's how it works. a lot of people HATED the "long" 5S, now they are on 5S hating the 6. They will be on the 6 later hating on the 7. it's how it works.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
there are. now. a year or two from now, when there will be no choice (aside from using a 5s with a non-updatable iOS) they will switch. it's how it works. a lot of people HATED the "long" 5S, now they are on 5S hating the 6. They will be on the 6 later hating on the 7. it's how it works.

No the long phone made me switch to an HTC One Mini I won’t go back to iPhone until there is a normal phone, not huge, not long.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

I truly hope not. Its not really like that. The 5 was long, but not to the extent of making it unusable with one hand.

The 6 is next to useless for me, because its not usable one handed, and I have no use for that extra 0.7 inches. 4 Inches is perfect and there are a lot of people who feel the same.

----------

No the long phone made me switch to HTC One Mini I won’t go back to iPhone until there is a normal phone, not huge, not long.

I'm starting to consider going to a different branded phone... if its not usable one handed, its next to useless for me.

vaquerojim

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
4" iphone

I will definitely switch back to the 4" iphone as long as it retains the features of the iphone 6. I prefer the smaller size to carry in my pocket. Also, it is much easier to use one-handed.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
No OLED until Samsung opens up current gen OLED to other manufacturers. They currently only sell their previous generation panels to other OEMs. Apple sinks a lot of marketing into their displays. Being a year behind a Samsung device in screen in terms of quality wouldn't be their best decision.

Maybe if the price is right.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
I truly hope not. Its not really like that. The 5 was long, but not to the extent of making it unusable with one hand.

The 6 is next to useless for me, because its not usable one handed, and I have no use for that extra 0.7 inches. 4 Inches is perfect and there are a lot of people who feel the same.

----------

I'm starting to consider going to a different branded phone... if its not usable one handed, its next to useless for me.

you must really have tiny hands because the 6 is very much usable one handed. i mean.. you won't find a premium phone that's under 4.5 inches now. just won't happen. too little size for a good battery, good internals and good screen.

i hated my plus for the first 2 days , but when you see what you can do with a beast like that you change your opinion. trying it for 5 minutes at the apple store just clicking on app store/safari won't let you appreciate it.

Palladium SG

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
Maybe if the price is right.

IMO, less to do with OLED supply pricing, more to do with manufacturing capacity. People associate Samsung with OLED so much they forget the single fact that their phones with bleeding edge OLED screens consists only a small percentage of their own overall total handset sales. They could churn out OLEDs just for Apple for an entire year and it won't even supply enough screens for like two quarters of iPhone sales.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
you must really have tiny hands because the 6 is very much usable one handed. i mean.. you won't find a premium phone that's under 4.5 inches now. just won't happen. too little size for a good battery, good internals and good screen.

i hated my plus for the first 2 days , but when you see what you can do with a beast like that you change your opinion. trying it for 5 minutes at the apple store just clicking on app store/safari won't let you appreciate it.

I have relatively large hands, but I can not reach both the top and bottom of the iPhone 6 screen while holding it comfortably.

The 5S was a great phone at 4 inches. All they need to do is put an A8/A9 in it, and i'd be pleased. Its not too small.

Some people just need to accept that not everyone suits the 6. For me its useless.

Unless my hand is going to grow while using the 6, using it longer than the 2 days I have borrowed one will not make me like it anymore.

I don't think people would be happy if Apple decided to get rid of the 13 inch Air/Pro because "its too small for some people to use and it doesn't have the same power that the 15 inch has".

Last edited:

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Skylake? What is that my good sir?

Sorry my friend for not seeing your post and responding till now! Skylake is the ( delayed) Intel processors that replaces Broadwell (delayed) that is in the new MacBook ! If you research Intel's road map instead of Macrumors, you will know when Apple will update their lineup! Skylake is the next Generation of processors that will bring the end to all wires! ( monitor,HD, every wire) not to mention less power consumption, longer battery and blows away all current processors on the market today! It's all that:eek:

bnw99

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2015
Atlanta
Sorry my friend for not seeing your post and responding till now! Skylake is the ( delayed) Intel processors that replaces Broadwell (delayed) that is in the new MacBook ! If you research Intel's road map instead of Macrumors, you will know when Apple will update their lineup! Skylake is the next Generation of processors that will bring the end to all wires! ( monitor,HD, every wire) not to mention less power consumption, longer battery and blows away all current processors on the market today! It's all that:eek:

Oh wow, that sounds amazing. I will definitely make sure my next MBP comes equipped with this.

TheInvestigator

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Stop buying the iPhone 6 and save up for the iPhone 6S. Apple is going to need good numbers for Q4 to compete with Samsung's market share.

Samsung took the lead in smartphone market share again in Q1 2015, and that's before the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge got announced.

I'm very worried. If the new iPhone 6S/6S Plus don't sell well in Q4, Apple may fail to come back in 2016. So guys, save up for the iPhone 6S because Apple will need good sales for their upcoming flagship.

Samsung widens lead over Apple in smartphone market

South Korean tech behemoth Samsung Electronics Co. outpaced its competitors in global smartphone sales in the first quarter of 2015, widening its market share lead over its closest rival Apple Inc., data showed Friday.
In terms of sales volume, Samsung took up 27.8 percent of the global smartphone market in the January-March period, up from 24.7 percent three months earlier, according to the data by market tracker TrendForce.
In contrast, Apple's market share came to 19.9 percent in the first quarter, down from 23.2 percent in the fourth quarter of last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.