Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilyasdesign37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
Is it worth purchasing an custom made from Germany?
Apple iMac 27 3.5GHz i7/16GB RAM/1TB Flash Drive/GTX 780M (Late 2013 Model)

two issues I have

will the Apple wireless keyboard be in German?

and the AC power is euro?

I'm from UK, price is far less in Europe than UK

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
E mail the seller and ask.

Is it worth purchasing an custom made from Germany?
Apple iMac 27 3.5GHz i7/16GB RAM/1TB Flash Drive/GTX 780M (Late 2013 Model)

two issues I have

will the Apple wireless keyboard be in German?

and the AC power is euro?

I'm from UK, price is far less in Europe than UK

As far as I know the keyboards are the same, the power cord will need replacing or an adapter used.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
As far as I know the keyboards are the same, the power cord will need replacing or an adapter used.

AFAIK, an iMac ordered in Germany has an AZERTY keyboard by default, but the supplier or where ever you're buying it from should be able to deliver it with an UK or US style keyboard. That's at least what e.g. Gravis (a well know reseller) told me some time ago.

I can tell you a German (or French) keyboard is no fun... if you're used to US/UK/International layout.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
The power supply should be fine, although you'll need a different plug, obviously. The keyboard will be German layout, so a new keyboard is probably an additional expense. You don't say where you're buying from. Is this eBay, a refurb from Apple or what? I'm surprised that there would be much of a difference between German and UK prices once you've added in exchange rates and shipping.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
iMac AC plug is just a regular one so don't worry about that.

From a simple googling, I see that a UK plug is quite a bit different to the german one... but the other end, the one that plugs into the back of the Mac is identical across all countries.

Berlepsch

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
If you are okay with the US keyboard, that will probably be not a problem for a custom order; British keyboard layouts are probably less easy to get. Anyway, if the company offers US keyboards, you can probably resell it easily in the UK, especially if it is still originally packed.

ilyasdesign37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
The power supply should be fine, although you'll need a different plug, obviously. The keyboard will be German layout, so a new keyboard is probably an additional expense. You don't say where you're buying from. Is this eBay, a refurb from Apple or what? I'm surprised that there would be much of a difference between German and UK prices once you've added in exchange rates and shipping.

from this site

macseiten.de

€3,376.90 p+p = £2,472.42 p+p

From apple store it's £2,879.00

that is the difference

Last edited:

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
from this site

macseiten.de

€3,376.90 p+p = £2,472.42 p+p

From apple store it's £2,879.00

that is the difference

Looks like a good saving - more than I thought there would be. The only thing I would do is check with your credit card provider that they would give you that exchange rate.

cairene2011

Dec 17, 2013
I'm Austrian (native German speaker) and I can tell you, I despise typing on UK keyboards ... the layout is quite different in my opinion, leads to lots of typos or incredibly slowed down typing especially when it comes to the symbols, so you might experience similar troubles with a German keyboard. Also you'll have (for you) useless letters like Ä Ö Ü and ß hanging around, wasting space.

I even went as far as to order a base model rMBP online, waiting for weeks without a computer for it to be delivered (instead of quickly picking one up in an Apple store here in London) because when you order them online it allows you to choose between a UK English, Arabic, German and French keyboard and I was not willing to settle for the UK English keyboard they sell in store.

So yeah, don't underestimate the keyboard, but perhaps that's just me and you are more flexible in your typing. ;)

Edit: I suppose since it is an iMac you could easily exchange the German wireless keyboard for an English one down the road. Ignore my post then. ;-)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
You should be able to choose the keyboard you want.
The hard drive is likely not flash. They only advertise it that way.
Read up on exactly what you're getting.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
AFAIK, an iMac ordered in Germany has an AZERTY keyboard by default, but the supplier or where ever you're buying it from should be able to deliver it with an UK or US style keyboard. That's at least what e.g. Gravis (a well know reseller) told me some time ago.

I can tell you a German (or French) keyboard is no fun... if you're used to US/UK/International layout.

The German ones (and German speaking regions like parts of Switzerland, all of Austria and Liechtenstein) have the QWERTZ keyboard.

French ones are AZERTY.

ilyasdesign37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
Looks like a good saving - more than I thought there would be. The only thing I would do is check with your credit card provider that they would give you that exchange rate.

I know it changes on a daily rate so the prices goes up and down:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.