Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My understanding is that the Android phones do not fetch much resale value and therefore probably not much trade-in value. It will therefore be interesting to see how much this motivates anyone to convert. I am sure for some that were on the fence this will remove one issue that may have them leaning against converting.

Anyway, it seems like a good thing to do even if it is mostly symbolic.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
iPhone 4S 64gb, sold mine a few months ago for £150. They're offering £65. iPad 3 64gb, sold mine for £220 last month. They're offering £90.

And it's only a gift card too. Usually when you trade in items and have the option of store credit or money, the store credit one is a bit more generous.

No thanks to any of this!

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
$35 USD for a perfectly good iPhone 4s. Really? I mean I suppose it's years old but come on already....you're Apple for Pete's sake! Billions in the bank and one would think such a program is there to entice people to buy not essentially insult us. What's the point of tossing out an insult?

Shocked..... :apple:

CarFreak427

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Apple actually does not trade-in old Macs in stores like they do iPhones and iPads. There is a website you have to go to and get emailed a gift card.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Does anyone know what Apple is doing with the phones it gets? I always assumed the iPhones it collected got a chance to be refurbished or they got sold as used in emerging markets. But would Apple have the same incentive to do this with an Android phone? First the resale value is going to be really small. Second, Apple loses a customer by putting more cheap Android phones out into the market.

So maybe Apple just breaks down the Android phones and truly recycles them.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Got an iPhone6 Last Weekend

I asked how much they would give me for my old phone. She looked, laughed, and said "About 75 Cents".
It is a VERY old phone

----------

There is no such thing as US English. ;)

Unless you mean they don't really speak English in the US. THAT I would agree with.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Decided to do a few tests with this service. £450 for my 15" Retina MacBook Pro? You've got to be joking. How about you double that and add some, then we'll talk!

----------

iPhone 4S 64gb, sold mine a few months ago for £150. They're offering £65. iPad 3 64gb, sold mine for £220 last month. They're offering £90.

And it's only a gift card too. Usually when you trade in items and have the option of store credit or money, the store credit one is a bit more generous.

No thanks to any of this!

These kinds of services tend to consistently under value products. Mostly because they have the profits they'll make later on in mind. If you're an idiot, it's easy to get suckered in by the prospect of instant cash.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
$35 USD for a perfectly good iPhone 4s. Really? I mean I suppose it's years old but come on already....you're Apple for Pete's sake! Billions in the bank and one would think such a program is there to entice people to buy not essentially insult us. What's the point of tossing out an insult?

Shocked..... :apple:

That's all I'd get? wow...I bought it for $80...

I'll be sticking with it instead of buying a new $600 phone

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I saw "Canada"... interesting to see Canada finally getting some form of this recognition.

now the ever lasting question.

How much are we actually looking to get? if you were to offer me $100 for trade in on my Nexus 5, It might be enough right there.

I say MIGHT

Apple did jack up our prices roughly 30% to account for "dollar fluctuations"

a 16gb iphone 6 now starts at $839 Canadian. with HST (ontario) thats a $948.07 phone.

even with $100 off, with tax thats still $835.

thats a tough pill to swallow to get me to switch

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Depends on how much Apple offers, but if Apple offers it then you know you will get the money. With eBay or other methods, there is always the risk that you run into a scammer or just an extremely stupid buyer.

Most phone that are sold though are in decent conditions. People with banged up phones (a lot of people) won't sell it. If Apple buys it even broken, or with a dead battery, it may be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.