Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I was watching "Wrinkles" from Prime Instant Video. Wow, that was a depressing movie. Very enjoyable, but jeez that was sad.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I just saw Insurgent last night with my family. I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see the last one.

I also enjoyed Insurgent - - quite well done for a YA movie and certainly far better than the tedious Hunger Games series. I hope they don't split up the third one into two movies, but I'm also looking forward to it. Shailene Woodley is solid in the lead, but I thought Miles Teller put on a pretty unconvincing performance in his post-Whiplash-expanded supporting role. A solid B+.

9to5cuber

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Ottawa
Anyone see Martyrs? Saw it last night... pretty dang disturbing.

Yeah, it was difficult to sit through but great nonetheless. A very accurate depiction of the misery and suffering societal elites are willing to put others through when they elevate themselves and their endeavors above and beyond everyone else. A very blunt and frank assessment of most wars and most global poverty. The extreme violence is an essential vehicle to get this idea across.

Last edited:

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Saw last Saturday "Inherent Vice" with Joaquin Phoenix in the theater and for the love of God (any God will do) I really don't have the slightest idea about what the story was trying to explain. :confused:

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
Saw last Saturday "Inherent Vice" with Joaquin Phoenix in the theater and for the love of God (any God will do) I really don't have the slightest idea about what the story was trying to explain. :confused:

Yup, I really tried to like it. Just didn't happen. The narrators voice put me off a bit but something larger seemed to be missing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Pacific Rim (2013)- I really enjoyed this the second time I saw it, exciting, kick ass, and technically impressive.. :) The following image although good, does not really do justice to the movie. Pacific Rim 2 is tenitively scheduled for April 2017.

NExkgZBqhXu0AF_2_b.jpg

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Saw the third Hunger Games film last night with the daughter. It was okay. I've not read the books, but I think I can guess how the series will end. Tonight she wants to watch Hansel and Gretel which hunters. Not sure it looks that good, but we'll see.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Saw the third Hunger Games film last night with the daughter. It was okay. I've not read the books, but I think I can guess how the series will end. Tonight she wants to watch Hansel and Gretel which hunters. Not sure it looks that good, but we'll see.

I watched it last night too. Just boring. And I liked the first two films and the books. H&G was pretty bad, too.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The Imitation Game - I thought it was really great. Worthy of the Oscar nomination.

Run All Night - We thought this was decent enough. A bit more violent than, but in line with, Liam Neeson's must-save-a-family-member run of movies.

Into the Woods - Darker than typical Disney fare, but overall, it wasn't very good.

MV5BNDkwNTEyMzkzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTAwNzk3MjE@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTU2ODI3ODEyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM3NTQzNDE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTY4MzQ4OTY3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjM5MDI3MjE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Judging by the tone of the artsy-leaning conversation in this thread, low comedies are unlikely to be high on the list for many people here. However, for any connaisseurs of the crude who happen to wander in here, I would like to offer my highest recommendation for Get Hard, the new Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie that opened this past weekend.

Get Hard is the funniest movie I've seen in months.

For those on the fence about watching this film, this review via Forbes captured some of my positive experience. Here are some excerpts:

Get Hard is not only a lot smarter than you think, but also Will Ferrell’s funniest film since 2008′s Step Brothers (not counting his cameos and small walk-on parts in several films over the last few years) and Kevin Hart’s best performance on screen so far...

As I noted at the start of this review, I’ve recently complained loudly and angrily about the rape humor in ugly films like Horrible Bosses 2, and the abusive rape-apologist mentality (and I use the word “mentality” very lightly) found in Fifty Shades of Grey. That’s the sort of vulgar laugh-at-rape attitude I feared was going to dominate Get Hard. Instead, I saw that the film’s jokes surrounding prison rape — and there are many such jokes and situations — as absolutely mocking and skewering the homophobic undertones and paranoia of male social attitudes and culture. It transpires within a broader vicious satirizing of white privilege and sense of self-entitlement rampant in our society. The film’s primary focus is attacking the toxic mixture of racism and homophobia that leads to white panic over the prospects of prison rape at the hands of ethnic minorities, as a reflection of white fear that their own complacency and tacit acceptance of — if not outright participation in — oppression of minorities and perpetuation of racism, misogyny, and homophobia will inevitably lead to them being assaulted and victimized once they are no longer in a position where power structures favor them for their white skin and male gender....

This is a capital-R raunchy comedy — and I mean, really raunchy, beyond what’s typical of either star’s usual boundaries-pushing jokes — and lately those sorts of films have been embraced by audiences when they deliver the laughs. And (as I’ll get to in a moment) despite most reviews giving the film thumbs-down in the hee-haw department, I don’t have any doubt at all that audiences will be belly-laughing non-stop through this movie. The screening crowd I saw it with couldn’t stop cracking up loudly and enthusiastically, meaning probable strong word of mouth that’ll help the film as well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Judging by the tone of the artsy-leaning conversation in this thread, low comedies are unlikely to be high on the list for many people here. However, for any connaisseurs of the crude who happen to wander in here, I would like to offer my highest recommendation for Get Hard, the new Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie that opened this past weekend.

Get Hard is the funniest movie I've seen in months.

For those on the fence about watching this film, this review via Forbes captured some of my positive experience. Here are some excerpts:

No problem with me and crude. I love Ace Ventura Pet Detective, Mystery Men, and Dumb and Dumber. My issue is that other than his performance in Megamind, where he had to conform to a character's personality, I've found frequently I can only stand limited exposure to Will Ferrell. I did not see Elf which might also be an exception, but his seemingly preferred comedy persona such as in Anchorman and Wedding Crashers is like comedy radiation. Only limited exposure can be tolerated. :p Fortunately he had a minor role in Wedding Crashers. I'll keep an open mind though about this movie when a viewing opportunity comes along.

Last edited:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Last minute we decided to see "The Gunman" with Sean Penn. What.A.Stinker

Even stoned it was boring me, and way too much of Penn with his shirt off. Gratuitous I would call it.

Don't see it, not even on DVD.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Last minute we decided to see "The Gunman" with Sean Penn. What.A.Stinker

Even stoned it was boring me, and way too much of Penn with his shirt off. Gratuitous I would call it.

Don't see it, not even on DVD.

With 12% on RT based on 125 reviews (4.2/10 average), all the majors giving it a thumbs down, even the normally much more positive audience review at 38% ... well, yeah. :D

We're going to go see It Follows this weekend, supposed to be fantastic (assuming you're not averse to horror films).

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We're going to go see It Follows this weekend, supposed to be fantastic (assuming you're not averse to horror films).

Please report back on your impressions, that movie looks interesting.

----------

If I recall accurately, parallel universe time travel stories lose some of their impact for me. It unties the story teller's hands to do whatever they want, but has less meaning.

Do you often have difficulty recalling correctly your own thoughts about something? ;)

Sorry friend, you set yourself up there. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Please report back on your impressions, that movie looks interesting.

----------

Do you often have difficulty recalling correctly your own thoughts about something? ;)

Sorry friend, you set yourself up there. :D

What did I say, I forgot. Why don't you refresh my mind? :p I *do* remember not liking the way Looper was handled as compared to other time travel stories and it had something to do with parallel universes.

Unbroken (2014)- True story of a Olympic Athlete and WWII Japanese POW. An excellent well-done story, but too long, to much misery for my tastes, to tedious, the kind of movie I only want to watch once. The feeling of being there airborne was excellent and the CGI aviation shots are incredibly realistic. No seats and harnesses for for the guys in the back of the B25. Just hang onto some straps... ;)

500px-2014-07-27_22h22_45.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.