Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
This is dependant on whether you have a fixed I.P. Most ISPs do not provide this by default. It's also not a great idea to do this for security reasons if you don't know what you're doing.

Dynamic IP Addressing is a pain, but can be solved by things like noip.org and a little app on your computer.

anonymoushost

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2014
Romania
Advise you not to go for free hosting because it has many disadvantages and less advantages which might ruin all your efforts towards the site/project. Remember that everything has a price here and nothing is for free :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Heroku might be a bit more complicated, but they do have a free tier.

https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/getting-started-with-php#introduction

Heroku has been my "go to" for most of my non-MS projects.

The free tier is a single dyno (like a small app server instance), easily scaled, deployment is simple via Git.

Single free dynos will "sleep" if idle for 60 minutes, then just require a hit to wake (<15s or so). They also offer a free DB tier for Postgres, it's the Basic-Dev, has some limits like no more than 10K rows, low/no caching, etc.

While I've only used them for Rails and Node, I did for hoots push up a PHP app, and it worked as expected!

:cool:

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Advise you not to go for free hosting because it has many disadvantages and less advantages which might ruin all your efforts towards the site/project. Remember that everything has a price here and nothing is for free :)

Very true. Well, once I get older and I can pay by myself I'll pay for sure! Or maybe I can get one of those pre-paid visas.

----------

Heroku has been my "go to" for most of my non-MS projects.

The free tier is a single dyno (like a small app server instance), easily scaled, deployment is simple via Git.

Single free dynos will "sleep" if idle for 60 minutes, then just require a hit to wake (<15s or so). They also offer a free DB tier for Postgres, it's the Basic-Dev, has some limits like no more than 10K rows, low/no caching, etc.

While I've only used them for Rails and Node, I did for hoots push up a PHP app, and it worked as expected!

:cool:

Wow, that sounds awesome. I've heard of Heroku before... hmm.. maybe I should learn Ruby on Rails.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
There are lots of free hosting companies out there, however none of them come without compromises and many bring headaches with them. Most will heavily restrict bandwidth, space and some will overlay ads. If you are looking to get started building websites, free hosting is good, however they are rarely good and reliable enough for you to host websites you want other to visit (good enough for yourself and friends, not so good for anything else). Using a localhost server is often a very good alternative to using free hosting and often comes with less headaches. Hosting is generally cheap and can be found if you do your research. If you need some free domains as-well you can get them here: http://dot.tk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.