Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Hello,

My brother in law is sending me video taken with his iphone in my email of my nephew. I can not play these videos on my iphone, ipod or ipad. They will play on my computer-windows but I can't save them.

How do I get them to play in my idevices or same them from my email to play on my idevices?

Thanks for any help. My nephew is really too cute not to be able to take his videos with me everyday. ;)

mhunter6378

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
Im not sure why the videos won't play on your iPhone, doesn't really make sense because you say that they were taken on an iPhone. They should be compatible and play without issue. On your computer, you should be able to right click the attachment in your email and get a save option. I will add that using email to transfer videos does usually place some limitations on sending the files as most email accounts impose size limitations and videos can easily exceed those limits if they are very long. Better options would be to upload to a cloud service such as Dropbox and send a link via email. Or better yet, since you both are on iPhones, just set up a shared photo stream. Just add the videos or pictures to the shared stream. From there you can view them, save them to your device, transfer to your computer - all with relative ease. I use shared streams constantly with other family members on iPhones, works great. Here's a link that offers additional info on shared streams and how to set one up.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/a...e-your-iphone-ipad-photos-videos-with-anyone/

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
The videos are usually less than 30 seconds. In my email it says "Sent from my Iphone" and it's title IMG_001.MOV.mov When I download it to my PC it only opens up in Windows Media Player or realplayer. Usually I can figure it out but not this one. I can't even send it in a facebook message.

mhunter6378

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
In my email it says "Sent from my Iphone" and it's title IMG_001.MOV.mov

If that's how the files are showing up, it is coming in to you with two file extensions (.MOV.mov) there should only be one ".MOV" That's probably why you are having issues opening the file.

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
OK how do I fix it? Or at least explain to my brother in law how to fix it? Thanks so much for your help.

mhunter6378

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
I don't know what he may be doing to cause it to occur or if it's something within his or your email client that may be causing it. On your end the only way to resolve it is to download on your computer and chose to rename the file and remove the added file extension. On your iPhone or iPad you can't easily rename it. The simplest method I know using an iPhone or iPad is to upload the file into Dropbox, there you have the ability to rename a file within the app and then save it back to your device after renaming (removing the added file extension).

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Ok it happened again but this time the video file I was sent was labeled like this: IMG_001.MOV. On my computer it opens up as a quicktime file but still on my iphone it will not open up. I'm not using the email client on my iphone I'm just logging into my email via the browser on the phone.

Suggestions please. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.