Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nellie s17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2015
Hey everyone! New here, sorry if this has been asked before or I'm in the wrong spot.

I have a Mac Air OS X 10.9.4 that seems to be quickly eating away at my (limited) internet data. I have turned all automated updates etc off. I'm wondering if there is a way (either already on the mac, or a program I can download) that I can monitor how much internet each program/app on my mac is using. Like on the iPhone in settings, cellular - where you can actually see how much data each app is using, for example it lists the app (Facebook) then has the data usage (6.6GB). Is this possible on mac? I want to be able to see how much data for example iTunes is using. Or the App Store. Or iPhoto etc. So I can see that they are using data and change the settings accordingly? Thanks in advance :)

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
The built-in Activity Monitor keeps track of sent/received stats on a per app basis under the Network tab. But this information is reset after every restart, so you need to write things down before you restart.

iStat Pro also keeps track of network stats, but I believe it also resets on restart since it uses the same source for stats.

Other then that, I don't know of anything else that works better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.