Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodrigo Yoshida

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Brazil
I am currently working with a rMBP with 4gb RAM with Photoshop CC 2014 installed since it was released. I use it to make layouts for web sites and apps. First I did not think it would make so much difference compared to the previous version, but then I began to notice some sluggish, so I decide to make a test.

I installed Photoshop CC again (the previous version) and compared to the new one, opened the same files (about 5 PSDs) and checked Activity Monitor. To my surprise, the CC 2014 was using 2gb RAM while the CC was using just 800mb!

Since memory is a concern (4gb ram) and it cannot be upgraded, I decided to go back to Photoshop CC. I've been working with it for about a day and I did not miss any feature so far.

In your opinion, am I missing something really important from CC 2014? What Photoshop version do you usually use?

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
In your opinion, am I missing something really important from CC 2014? What Photoshop version do you usually use?

Depends on your workflow. For many people the differences between CS6 and today are not enough to upgrade.

As a UI UX designer for web and apps I have to do layouts occasionally in Photoshop (I have other tools I prefer, but I will speak to that later) and there are a few features that I think are worth it.

The updates to the layer comps is worthwhile. I use that feature extensively. Smart guides are better too...

I think the smart shapes and style sheets existed in the previous version, so those are not an issue for you but many folks do not use them if they have an version of Photoshop older than CC2013.

All that said, if you are doing web and app design Photoshop has a lot of unnecessary overhead taking up your precious ram. My preferred tool is Sketch. Pixel perfect, resolution free and a really intuitive process to generate assets at 1x,2x etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.