Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvalente

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Hi everyone!
Just came to me a MacBook Air with this power problem.
Normal press button to start doesn't work if battery is unplugged or discharged.
Works fine with charged battery.
MagSafe doesn't give any light with or without battery (same symptoms with diferent charger).
Won't charge battery (diferent battery and diferent MagSafe same symptoms).
Changed the MagSafe connector unit in the mac air and does the same things.
Tested the MagSafe connector with another same model mboard and it works normal, green and orange light when charging battery in MagSafe.
So, narrowed to the mboard, and surely it's a problem in the power/battery zone. But I don't know what cold be the component in it that causes this.
Can anyone enlighten me of what could be the source of this problem?
Thanks.

dvalente

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Tried all kind of resets...Nothing makes it back to normal.
There is something burned but simply can't figure out what.
:mad:

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
Tried all kind of resets...Nothing makes it back to normal.
There is something burned but simply can't figure out what.
:mad:

seems like we are having the exact same issue my friend I had to replace the power adapter apple sent me one free because I’m under warranty But do an apple hardware test and post back here what the results are

to enter the hardware test Press the power button then immediately hold down the D key until you see a globe saying entering recover mode then follow the on screen instructions at end of test you should get error codes make sure your magsafe is plugged in

dvalente

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
Yes, I have! In apple care they wanted to fit a new logic board. Well, that I can do myself, no thank´s. Spending 400€ on a new board is not an answer.

The D key only works if I have the second installation disk from 10.5, and an external cd reader. Wich I don´t have... :/
Tried this instructions from here http://rivenbyfive.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/download-and-run-apple-hardware-test.html but could´t boot either to the Apple Hardware Test program.
How can I do it in a Mackbook Air 2008?

Also discovered that istat doesn´t detect any of the macbook sensors. Neither fan or temperature appears in istat. It also doesn´t sleep when I close the Macbook lid...

Last edited:

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
Yes, I have! In apple care they wanted to fit a new logic board. Well, that I can do myself, no thank´s. Spending 400€ on a new board is not an answer.

The D key only works if I have the second installation disk from 10.5, and an external cd reader. Wich I don´t have... :/
Tried this instructions from here http://rivenbyfive.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/download-and-run-apple-hardware-test.html but could´t boot either to the Apple Hardware Test program.
How can I do it in a Mackbook Air 2008?

Also discovered that istat doesn´t detect any of the macbook sensors. Neither fan or temperature appears in istat. It also doesn´t sleep when I close the Macbook lid...

Which version of OS X are you running

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.