Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008

Attachments

• screen1280x800-1.jpeg
    screen1280x800-1.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 425
  • screen1280x800.jpeg
    screen1280x800.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 290

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
I hate Freemium as well. I don't mind paying for a good app however Freemium model works in very few / limited cases and this is definitely not one of them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hate Freemium as well. I don't mind paying for a good app however Freemium model works in very few / limited cases and this is definitely not one of them.

Agreed, playing candy crush (which I don't) is one thing, but trying to suck you in with a productivity app with features locked until you pay is something i'd avoid.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
This App was $200 when it came out.

I got it for $15? or something on sale a bout a year ago.

On the topic of freemium:

I think freemium is an OK thing in software since you might actually only need a few of the functions. It also gives the developer a hint on witch functions to focus on.

But for games it´s just retarded.
Nobody want ½ a game.. It´s just milking money..
It´s the worst thing to hit the gamingmarket since DRM´s that cripples your computer or forced online login to servers that are down.. Le´rant is over :)

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Cinemagraph Pro is an example of a product that is great but targeted at/designed for the wrong audience.

They will probably be gone within the next year, whether they have the IAP or not.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
The same could be said about 1/2 an application.

If the App is a one trick pony then sure, it´s a horrible idea.

But a program like Photoshop where I get the feeling I use about .3% of the functions then I would not mind if half disappeared and I got a lower price.

In Microsoft Word I use the automated spellcheck and that´s basically all of the features I use. I bet there is a few hundreds of features, and If they could lock them away and give me a cheaper Office suite then fine by me :)

Or iOS apps, I don´t want all those ugly filters and in all those photo apps so I'm alright with them being something extra you can pay for if you want them.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
If the App is a one trick pony then sure, it´s a horrible idea.

But a program like Photoshop where I get the feeling I use about .3% of the functions then I would not mind if half disappeared and I got a lower price.

In Microsoft Word I use the automated spellcheck and that´s basically all of the features I use. I bet there is a few hundreds of features, and If they could lock them away and give me a cheaper Office suite then fine by me :)

Or iOS apps, I don´t want all those ugly filters and in all those photo apps so I'm alright with them being something extra you can pay for if you want them.

You're wasting your time with those programs. There are so many other image editing and word processors that suit you much better.

Adobe and Microsoft don't have to change for your wants. The software will pay itself off immediately if you use it for commercial use.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
You're wasting your time with those programs. There are so many other image editing and word processors that suit you much better.

Adobe and Microsoft don't have to change for your wants. The software will pay itself off immediately if you use it for commercial use.

He's not saying the software needs to change, he's expressing an opinion that they would see benefits from breaking up their software pricing.

As it is, it's a moot point. Adobe and MS have gone to subscription pricing so basically almost *everyone* is losing out except for the companies themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.