Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
I can't afford to buy a $1500 laptop every two years.

I cycle my Apple devices every 2-3 years.
Usually sell them for about half what I paid. TCO - total cost of ownership is how I think of it.

I work with developers - almost all using MacBooks. Never seen a problem - guess we have been lucky.
One guy dumped a coffee on his keyboard - that did fry it.

Only time I hear of MacBook problems is when I look at MacRumors.

Buy the Retina

Misgreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
I cycle my Apple devices every 2-3 years.
Usually sell them for about half what I paid. TCO - total cost of ownership is how I think of it.

I work with developers - almost all using MacBooks. Never seen a problem - guess we have been lucky.
One guy dumped a coffee on his keyboard - that did fry it.

Only time I hear of MacBook problems is when I look at MacRumors.

Buy the Retina

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
The Retina MBP's WITHOUT discrete GPU's (no AMD or Nvidia in them) have been very reliable. AFAIK, none of the iGPU equipped MacBooks since 2011 have had issues. It's only the discrete GPU's that fail due to poor solder/overheating.

jgerry

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Retina MBP's WITHOUT discrete GPU's (no AMD or Nvidia in them) have been very reliable. AFAIK, none of the iGPU equipped MacBooks since 2011 have had issues. It's only the discrete GPU's that fail due to poor solder/overheating.
This is an interesting point. I'm in the market for a new MBP Retina 15 when I leave my current job, the one I have now is the discrete GPU, no issues, but when spending my own money, maybe the non-discrete GPU is the way to go. Anyone know if you can do a 4K monitor with both versions?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
This is an interesting point. I'm in the market for a new MBP Retina 15 when I leave my current job, the one I have now is the discrete GPU, no issues, but when spending my own money, maybe the non-discrete GPU is the way to go. Anyone know if you can do a 4K monitor with both versions?

The 2014 rMBP 15 can do 4k60 on the display port as it does support DP 1.3 I believe on both the Iris Pro and 750M versions. The reason the 2014 rMBP 13 can't do 4K 60hz is that Intel crippled the non-Iris Pro gpu on the Haswell generation. Broadwell does not have this limitation.

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
If anyone had enough money to burn through, I would have easily suggested getting a rMBP for sure.

But after reading about staingate.org and
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6068947?start=570&tstart=0
I am not sure about this anymore. This seems to happen to all retina models onwards from 2012 until present. It might happen to my new 13' rMBP 2015 as well. And I am honestly thinking about returning it. Came across numerous posts in all kinds of forums, only a fraction of customers got a free-of-charge repair. And if you are out of your defects liability period (2 years in Germany), you are basically screwed.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I don't know that I'd return a laptop out of fear of something that may never happen to it (the screen coating issue)? My current dilemma is the horrible PDF scrolling in OSX with Adobe Reader, no fix in sight. Preview works well for me, but it isn't the same. And I use PDFs all the time for work. My return period ends in 4 days. I am missing my old trusty Thinkpad T430s and the Track Point quite honestly. I love the Mac touch pad, but now that Lenovo has put the classic Track Point back into their new laptops, Lenovo rules all when it comes to office work and scrolling through documents. Very close to just returning my retina MBP and getting a T450s with matte IPS FHD screen and tossing in a Samsung 850 Pro SSD and calling it a day. For cheaper than the 13" rMBP. First world problems....

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
If anyone had enough money to burn through, I would have easily suggested getting a rMBP for sure.

But after reading about staingate.org and
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6068947?start=570&tstart=0
I am not sure about this anymore. This seems to happen to all retina models onwards from 2012 until present. It might happen to my new 13' rMBP 2015 as well. And I am honestly thinking about returning it. Came across numerous posts in all kinds of forums, only a fraction of customers got a free-of-charge repair. And if you are out of your defects liability period (2 years in Germany), you are basically screwed.
Spreading FUD again?

I've had my two late-2013 rMBPs (13" i7/16/512 and 15" 2.6/16/1TB/750M) since its launch around Oct/Nov 2013 and it's still running fine. No stain issues.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I did a google search for "common macbook problems"

It's easy to get the results you want when you cherry pick the search terms. I could show you common HP laptop problems, or common Dell laptop problems. Or issues with Sony Vaio laptops. Lenovo? Yup, them too.

End result? All manufacturers, regardless of price range or model, have a small percentage of laptops with problems. That's just what happens when millions are made and demand for them is high.

But by contrast, you're clearly making a mountain out of a molehill here. And you can call me a fanboy and that's fine. I'll call you what you are: Someone who opened up an expensive laptop instead of letting Apple handle whatever problem you had, without a clue what you were doing. And now you're trying to assign blame on anyone else you can for issues you created through your own actions.

It's a lot like taking apart the engine in your car and putting it back together, and then blaming Audi because the engine misfires and rods keep getting bent.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Then get Apple Care in the end of the first year, so you'll have a fully covered Mac for almost 4 year. Otherwise, sell it every two years for a bit less (let's say $1000?) and get a new one... So you'll have new Mac every two years for $500, and you don't let pass enough time to see problems appearing.

Woah. Bad advice! Apple Care kicks in from your purchase date no matter when you buy it, so you will only ever get three years.

Source:- https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
I loved the comment saying you are also buying into the vertical integration of Apple products. That's something you really don't get with other brands. iPhones + Yosemite + iPads are (in theory) supposed to seamlessly work together. The hardware is great on MacBooks and the voices from the minority do not represent the majority! Just buy the laptop ;)

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It's easy to get the results you want when you cherry pick the search terms. I could show you common HP laptop problems, or common Dell laptop problems. Or issues with Sony Vaio laptops. Lenovo? Yup, them too.

End result? All manufacturers, regardless of price range or model, have a small percentage of laptops with problems. That's just what happens when millions are made and demand for them is high.

But by contrast, you're clearly making a mountain out of a molehill here. And you can call me a fanboy and that's fine. I'll call you what you are: Someone who opened up an expensive laptop instead of letting Apple handle whatever problem you had, without a clue what you were doing. And now you're trying to assign blame on anyone else you can for issues you created through your own actions.

It's a lot like taking apart the engine in your car and putting it back together, and then blaming Audi because the engine misfires and rods keep getting bent.

Incorrect. Apple designed a computer with flaws in it just use google you'll find many, many people with trouble.

OP, let us know your decision. You've heard both sides of the argument.

I feel like I've given the most balanced and fair response.

One that isn't biased TOWARDS Apple but instead says the positives AND negatives

I.e creaking and bad hardware BUT *flawless* software (Mavericks)

Btw, I was able to fix the creaking, no thanks to Apple. I had to figure it out myself via info from this forum.

But I was able to fix the creaking, no thanks to Apple. I had to do my OWN research and found a solution thanks to this forum. I had to fix their ludicrous problem. Anyway, I'm here to stay.

I just Posted for the OP on here a minute ago. I will like to add that he or she should just order a PC and Mac and do a side by side. Then they'll be unbiased.

Make sure to get equivalent specs as well. Don't just buy and spend without doing research. You don't want to regret it later. Just bc a million people say buy something, doesn't mean you should.

Think for yourself...

Last edited by a moderator:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Incorrect. Apple designed a computer with flaws in it just use google you'll find many, many people with trouble.

One that isn't biased TOWARDS Apple but instead says the positives AND negatives

Btw, I was able to fix the creaking, no thanks to Apple. I had to figure it out myself via info from this forum.

----------

You figured it out by using the same method that is to be used on a tire. That is, if you have bolts that form a perimeter, you damn well better tighten them correctly or you'll have more pressure in one area than another. In a car that means a (dangerous) loose wobbling of the tire. On a sheet of aluminum it means you get a creak because you haven't tightened the perimeter screws evenly.

That's not a design flaw, thats a "I don't understand basic (middle school) physics" problem.

This just furthers the notion presented in the thread, if you can't understand basic principles of screw tightening, don't do it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

And if you use Google, as I've demonstrated, you'll find many, many Lenovo users, and Dell users, and Sony Vaio users, and even Alienware and other premium laptop users, who are having trouble. That doesn't necessarily mean that their computers have been designed with flaws.

Everyone with a bias feels their response is balanced. That doesn't make it true. It takes people detached from your perspective to truly make that judgment.

The creaking is your doing. And even a biased Apple fanboy would not claim that any version of OS X is perfect or flawless.

Btw, I was able to fix the creaking, no thanks to Apple.

You fixed the problem you created? Awesome. I guess that proves the laptop wasn't defective.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

But I was able to fix the creaking, no thanks to Apple. I had to do my OWN research and found a solution thanks to this forum. I had to fix their ludicrous problem. Anyway, I'm here to stay.

I just Posted for the OP on here a minute ago. I will like to add that he or she should just order a PC and Mac and do a side by side. Then they'll be unbiased.

Make sure to get equivalent specs as well. Don't just buy and spend without doing research. You don't want to regret it later. Just bc a million people say buy something, doesn't mean you should.

Think for yourself...

Look around you, everybody is telling you the same thing. Stop sticking your head in the sand and realise you're the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Look around you, everybody is telling you the same thing. Stop sticking your head in the sand and realise you're the problem.

Not at all. If Apple makes defective hardware it's Apple's problem...just look online for "creaking Macbook" and you'll see what the problem is

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Not at all. If Apple makes defective hardware it's Apple's problem...just look online for "creaking Macbook" and you'll see what the problem is

And the problems are all created by themselves.

If they had kept their hands to themselves and not open it up, it wouldn't happen.

It only happens if you do something to it that you're not supposed to do. Opening it up is something that you are not supposed to do to a retina MBP. To a cMBP, it's fine. But not to an rMBP, because it has no upgradeable components.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Are Macbook Pro's a good buy with all the problems they've had?

SO??? Google creaking "anything" and you will get results. Sub in dell, HP, ibm, back, neck......whatever and you will get s ton of results. I haven't googled creaking macbook but I'm sure if I did you would pop up.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I think they are still a great buy; I've been very happy with my late 2013 15" MBP.

That being said, my next Mac won't have a dGPU. Starting with the Iris Pro, the iGPU is pretty capable and will only get better with Broadwell and Skylake. The piece of mind of now having to worry about the dGPU is worth it to me.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
SO??? Google creaking "anything" and you will get results. Sub in dell, HP, ibm, back, neck......whatever and you will get s ton of results. I haven't googled creaking macbook but I'm sure if I did you would pop up.

Yeah but Apple products cost more so they're expected to be better than PCs.

If a 500 PC creaks and 1500 Mac creaks then people can't say Apple has better quality

Thunderchicken

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
By all means the Macbook Pro's are worth the money. From my personal experiance they last way longer than any Windows based laptops I have ever owned. I don't know very many laptops that have been able to go through 3 different OS's and still run good. I'm currently on a 2010 MBP 13" with 4Gb of memory and it runs perfect, please show me a Windows laptop that do the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.