Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ickywickets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Hi guys. This may seem like a stupid topic, and I'm probably posting in the wrong place, but I was hoping someone could give me some tips as to when to buy a new 15.4 inch MBPr? I'm currently on a Mid 2009 13 in MBP with 2.26 GHz and 2 GB of memory, and it has served me loyally for five years. It's carried me through high school and two years of college, but now I think it's time for a new machine.

It still runs well enough to get me through the semester and is a champ for just browsing the web and such, but it's just not loading programs the way it used to and it's gotten very sluggish. I've cleaned the disks a few times, which seemed to help. Deleted things I never use, and all that jazz, but I'm ready to move on.

My problem is that only the 13 inch retinas were updated and I don't want to buy a new computer at the end of next month only to have it become outdated instantly. I'm hoping for some major updates at WWDC, but I just don't think it'll happen. Any thoughts as to what I should do?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
If it still works for the most part, why don't you invest in a SSD and let that tide you over for a year or so?

The other thing is that if you need a piece of equipment, then you'll just have to take the plunge, new incoming model or not. Maybe you can check out refurbished models sold on the Apple Store website - buy slightly older or current-generation models at slightly cheaper prices.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Buy it when you need it. If you are really worried about getting the latest and greatest, do a little research and see if an update is around the corner. There are usually signs a month out. If you can wait the extra month, then do so.

Keep in mind that as soon as you buy any technology there are already several advanced iterations of the exact same product in development; in other words it is already obsolete.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
When Broadwell H is released

Hi guys. This may seem like a stupid topic, and I'm probably posting in the wrong place, but I was hoping someone could give me some tips as to when to buy a new 15.4 inch MBPr? I'm currently on a Mid 2009 13 in MBP with 2.26 GHz and 2 GB of memory, and it has served me loyally for five years. It's carried me through high school and two years of college, but now I think it's time for a new machine.

It still runs well enough to get me through the semester and is a champ for just browsing the web and such, but it's just not loading programs the way it used to and it's gotten very sluggish. I've cleaned the disks a few times, which seemed to help. Deleted things I never use, and all that jazz, but I'm ready to move on.

My problem is that only the 13 inch retinas were updated and I don't want to buy a new computer at the end of next month only to have it become outdated instantly. I'm hoping for some major updates at WWDC, but I just don't think it'll happen. Any thoughts as to what I should do?

When intel release the broadwell H quad core processors the 15 inch will be updated. Best current guess on this is around June.

For your seeming usage you may be better off getting the current low end 15 inch on an offer, either refurb or open box with movers coupon & edu discount from best buy, there are some others about as well. Some people have got the price down to under $1500...

willydimes

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2014
The 15.4 should be upgraded rather soon so if you can wait just wait for that to happen. Rather soon could be a few months, but if you cant wait. Grab the most recent one off of the apple refurb section, save a few bucks and never look back. Regardless of what you get it will be outdated at some point and if you've kept you 2009 this long, you'll be fine with whatever you decide

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.