Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Started the HiFi free trial today and love the sound quality. Yes, there is a very noticeable difference when comparing 320kbps and below of other streaming services to the 1411kbps FLAC that Tidal streams, but no way am I paying $20 a month for music streaming. I'll be canceling before 30 days are up.

The mobile app and desktop browser UI is decent but doesn't live up to Google Music or Spotify. Already had a couple of crashes on the mobile app and the desktop UI froze up once already. Pretty sure with updates, it should be an issue.

If you're one of those audiophiles that must have the best quality. Then it's worth the $20 monthly. Google Music is good enough for me. Tidal does offer a $9.99 standard sound quality service, but I don't see any reason to switch.

10d8syf.jpg

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
While I think tidal is a nice option. You really need fancy equipment to really make the difference worth it. That said MP3 is awful. At least go for AAC. The problem now is kids don't care about sound quality. They just want to hear it through crap earbuds. I would love to see quality sound become standard again. I am fine with Spotify at 320.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
While I think tidal is a nice option. You really need fancy equipment to really make the difference worth it. That said MP3 is awful. At least go for AAC. The problem now is kids don't care about sound quality. They just want to hear it through crap earbuds. I would love to see quality sound become standard again. I am fine with Spotify at 320.

I was in a dubbing studio once and the dubbing mixer was playing two versions of the same track - one high quality MP3, one lossless.

He couldn't tell the difference.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009

I wouldn't say you need expensive/fancy equipment to notice the difference.

I noticed a pretty good difference between 320 and flac from my $50 over the ear Sony headphones when playing from my Note 4 and Laptop. Also noticed a good difference of quality via bluetooth on my car stereo.

Cheap earbuds, didn't notice a difference.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Now that Apple is buying them. What would be the setup they will offer hardware wise in Apple products, if they will offer the 'improved' audio experience?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
officially a rumor :)

LOL... gotcha. ;)

What is funny, there were rumors abound when Tidal first started, that this was the sole reason they started the company was to hopefully sell it off to a larger technology based company. Which, if that is the case kudos to them if they walk away with a big pay day. I am curious as to what the artists are saying about this, because some of them do not like the big three-four companies who are in the streaming business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.