Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I'm curious if anyone is upgrading to the new MBA?

I'm also curious to find out if this M Processor is better than my current i5 processor in my 2011 MBA?

Also, does anyone know if Apple will offer the gold in a 13" footprint or is the 12" the wave of the future. I'm trying to find out if the 13" is going to be phased out completely.

I want to upgrade, but would like to see the new MBA in person first. I love the size of my current 13" MBA and am thinking that a 12" may be too small. I've tried the 11" and it's way too uncomfortable. I'm aiming for the Gold color if the size works out.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Wrong forum.

There is no new mba in gold and with an m processor.

You mean the new macbook.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Technically it is just a MB. It isn't part of the Macbook Air line but a new laptop model for lighter tasks than the Macbook Air. It fills the gap between the iPad and the Macbook Air.

MBP > MBA > MB > iPad

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Gold iPhone 6 Plus 'sim-free' 64GB Gold iPhone 5S 16GB Black iPhone 4S 32GB

Going by your sig, that $1,400 is already gone! ;)

Nobody knows whether they are going to come out with a 13" gold.

Of course the new M-processor is better than a 2011. ANY new Mac sport 4th generation Intel processors against your 2nd Generation, so you are 2 generations behind.

Folks buy the new rMB is because they want the "r"etina screen. Do you any feeling about a retina screen vs a potentially 13" Gold but NO RETINA?

By all means wait until you see it live.

And the one-cable thing people gripe about (browse posts please) don't bother you, go for it.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011

Of course the new M-processor is better than a 2011. ANY new Mac sport 4th generation Intel processors against your 2nd Generation, so you are 2 generations behind.

Folks buy the new rMB is because they want the "r"etina screen. Do you any feeling about a retina screen vs a potentially 13" Gold but NO RETINA?

And the one-cable thing people gripe about (browse posts please) don't bother you, go for it.

I just returned from the Apple Store. It looks like the displays won't be out until 4/24/15. I did ask about the USB C port, and the guy said, Apple will come out with an adapter to charge and USB functionality. I need both an SD port and USB drive for Flash drive use.

The guy educated me that the new 12" was a Macbook and not a MBA which I originally thought.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting a MB as long as the 12" footprint isn't too small for daily use. I'm very comfortable with the MBA 13" size. I do like the gold, but I'm willing to upgrade to another MBA for the lack of USB and SD ports on the MB. Do you know if Apple enhanced the MBA alongside the release of the MB?

Actually (ref. to my sig), if it was offered in the rumored Rose Gold color, I'd get that. Hopefully, with the iP7, I'll switch from Gold to Rose Gold.

----------

Wrong forum.

There is no new mba in gold and with an m processor.

You mean the new macbook.

Yes, I learned that today - MB not MBA. My mistake.

----------

Technically it is just a MB. It isn't part of the Macbook Air line but a new laptop model for lighter tasks than the Macbook Air. It fills the gap between the iPad and the Macbook Air.

MBP > MBA > MB > iPad

Yes :D thanks. I was at Apple today and was told the same.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Fascinating.

Did he finished, "but it's more expensive than an Air?"

stillone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
Fascinating.

Did he finished, "but it's more expensive than an Air?"

I suggest you work on your math skills.

The 12" MB with 1.2GHz- 8GB SDRAM and 512GB drive =$1599

The 13" MBA with 1.6GHz - 8GB SDRAM and 512GB drive = $1599

Looks like the same price to me, at least for pretty comparable set-ups.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I suggest you work on your math skills.

The 12" MB with 1.2GHz- 8GB SDRAM and 512GB drive =$1599

The 13" MBA with 1.6GHz - 8GB SDRAM and 512GB drive = $1599

Looks like the same price to me, at least for pretty comparable set-ups.
I guess he is talking about the base models.
To really compare the two we will have to wait and see how the new macbook will perform.

Speaking for myself, the lack of ports is inacceptable at this point in computer evolution.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I just returned from the Apple Store. It looks like the displays won't be out until 4/24/15. I did ask about the USB C port, and the guy said, Apple will come out with an adapter to charge and USB functionality. I need both an SD port and USB drive for Flash drive use.

The guy educated me that the new 12" was a Macbook and not a MBA which I originally thought.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting a MB as long as the 12" footprint isn't too small for daily use. I'm very comfortable with the MBA 13" size. I do like the gold, but I'm willing to upgrade to another MBA for the lack of USB and SD ports on the MB. Do you know if Apple enhanced the MBA alongside the release of the MB?

Actually (ref. to my sig), if it was offered in the rumored Rose Gold color, I'd get that. Hopefully, with the iP7, I'll switch from Gold to Rose Gold.

----------

----------

The rMB will go on sale on the 10th, as far as we know at this time.

----------

I guess he is talking about the base models.
To really compare the two we will have to wait and see how the new macbook will perform.

Speaking for myself, the lack of ports is inacceptable at this point in computer evolution.

Apple's problem is that those low res TN panels with impossible view angles are unacceptable at this point, too.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
They did upgrade the Air

----------

----------

But it didn't get a retina display.....

Just a processor upgrade to Broadwell and faster RAM....

It's not looking good for the Air long term.

To be honest if you like the 13 inch size look at the rMBP the loss of 2 hours battery and the gain of 1lb weight is well worth it for better processors, better graphics more ports, force trackpad and that fantastic screen.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

To be honest if you like the 13 inch size look at the rMBP the loss of 2 hours battery and the gain of 1lb weight is well worth it for better processors, better graphics more ports, force trackpad and that fantastic screen.

To pick a friendly nit - the rMBP is only half a pound more than the MBA in the 13" sizes. :)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

Didn't Apple say that the new Core M was about as powerful as the 2012 i5? Or someone else?

Apple's problem is that those low res TN panels with impossible view angles are unacceptable at this point, too.

I won't argue the technical specs. An IPS panel, even non-retina, is going to be better than the TN panels used in the Air. But the panels are perfectly fine for most people so it might not make sense for Apple to change the design. Would it kill Apple to include a higher-res IPS screen like some of it's competition? Probably not. It's probably not that much more expensive, and the power consumption is negligible, but it's not a terrible screen overall.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011

Agree. I may upgrade to the most latest MBA than a MB.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Dude I am jus a street Joe with an opinion, not here to sell anything.

In that case it might be useful to mention that this is just your 'opinion' while the op has actually asked for real advice... :roll eyes:

Anyway, I went through the trouble of finding some data:

While there is not much in terms of benchmarks for the M-5Y31 out there, there is some data for the M-5Y51 which should be comparable. Unfortunately no directly comparable benchmarks are available (on purpose?) but I would say it is not so clear cut the that new M-Processor is much better than the i5 from 2011. I hope as soon as the new Macbook is officially released, some real data will appear.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-2557M-vs-Intel-Core-M-5Y31

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-2557M-Notebook-Processor.56822.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-M-5Y31-SoC.129328.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-M-5Y51-SoC.129323.0.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/891/Intel_Core_M_5Y51_vs_Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-2537M.html

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Didn't Apple say that the new Core M was about as powerful as the 2012 i5? Or someone else?

I won't argue the technical specs. An IPS panel, even non-retina, is going to be better than the TN panels used in the Air. But the panels are perfectly fine for most people so it might not make sense for Apple to change the design. Would it kill Apple to include a higher-res IPS screen like some of it's competition? Probably not. It's probably not that much more expensive, and the power consumption is negligible, but it's not a terrible screen overall.

If I could have gotten an IPS panel on an 11" MBA, you couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands. :(

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Having owned both I can state that ½ pound is more significant than you'd think. The MBA is also quieter and runs cooler.

I've owned the 13" MBA, the 11" MBA and the 13" rMBP. Personally, half a pound is within a zone of "hard to notice." The pound difference between the 13" rMBP and 11" MBA is very noticeable. (YMMV) My commute with my computer includes four miles of walking and an hour on a train, so I have a pretty well-tuned sensitivity to what works for me and what doesn't.

Unfortunately, the thing that's impossible to ignore with the MBA is the TN display panels. Here's hoping the new rMB turns out to be fast enough (highly likely) and to have a keyboard that I can use for extended writing (only using it will tell me).

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I've owned the 13" MBA, the 11" MBA and the 13" rMBP. Personally, half a pound is within a zone of "hard to notice.".

I agree in terms of your commute. However, I found the MBA more usable in terms of walking around using it, holding it flat in one hand, using it on my lap on the sofa, etc.

I'm sure the MacBook will be powerful enough for my portable needs. I just hope it will stay as cool as the MBA, or nearly so, so it's comfortable for lap use.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I've owned the 13" MBA, the 11" MBA and the 13" rMBP. Personally, half a pound is within a zone of "hard to notice." The pound difference between the 13" rMBP and 11" MBA is very noticeable. (YMMV) My commute with my computer includes four miles of walking and an hour on a train, so I have a pretty well-tuned sensitivity to what works for me and what doesn't.

Also depends what else you're carrying and how you're carrying it. I could probably tell the difference if I were just holding it, but after you put it in a bag with a 6-pound work-issued laptop, a change of shoes, rain jacket, work files, a moleskine planner, and a small wacom tablet, the lighter Air helps shave off some weight.

And carrying a messenger type bag over one shoulder is going to feel a lot different than carrying it in a backpack. The loadout I listed above is carried twice during my commute since I telework one day a week. On days where I don't have the big laptop, work files and the wacom, I can barely tell that I'm carrying the Air.

Unfortunately, the thing that's impossible to ignore with the MBA is the TN display panels. Here's hoping the new rMB turns out to be fast enough (highly likely) and to have a keyboard that I can use for extended writing (only using it will tell me).

I'm definitely interested to see how things turn out with the new MB. I'm not in the market for a new laptop currently, but if I were, I'd probably be buying the MB.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I agree in terms of your commute. However, I found the MBA more usable in terms of walking around using it, holding it flat in one hand, using it on my lap on the sofa, etc.

I'm sure the MacBook will be powerful enough for my portable needs. I just hope it will stay as cool as the MBA, or nearly so, so it's comfortable for lap use.

I think there are reasons to be optimistic. Look at the way the 2008 MBA developed from an extremely expensive, underpowered niche product to a mainstay. The rMB could be the same?

----------

Also depends what else you're carrying and how you're carrying it. I could probably tell the difference if I were just holding it, but after you put it in a bag with a 6-pound work-issued laptop, a change of shoes, rain jacket, work files, a moleskine planner, and a small wacom tablet, the lighter Air helps shave off some weight.

And carrying a messenger type bag over one shoulder is going to feel a lot different than carrying it in a backpack. The loadout I listed above is carried twice during my commute since I telework one day a week. On days where I don't have the big laptop, work files and the wacom, I can barely tell that I'm carrying the Air.

I'm definitely interested to see how things turn out with the new MB. I'm not in the market for a new laptop currently, but if I were, I'd probably be buying the MB.

It will be interesting to see what happens! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.