Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medi111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

2 weeks ago I bought the new 2015 rMBP and I've been having problems with the Force Click features, as far as I can see the actual trackpad is fine as the features work fine on quicktime (variable speeds with the variable pressure) and I can feel the second click, however, in applications like Safari and Finder it doesn't work, I can't look up any words and Quick Look isn't working either.

Can anyone help?

Jason D.

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Same exact problem here. Just bought my new rMBP. For the first few hours it worked. Now it's not looking up words. I can feel the click but nothing happens on screen.

Anyone else have this problem?

Jason D.

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Figured it out!

Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES

Then TRACKPAD

Under LOOK UP & DATA DETECTORS it should say "Force click with one finger", mine had been changed to "tap with three fingers" for some reason. Don't know how that happened, but there ya go!

Medi111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
Thanks so much! Works perfectly now!
yeah, I have no idea how it changed either :confused:

Twitie

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
I have the same issue but it's still not working after changing to "Force click with one finger".

Here are my experiments and findings so far:

1) It only worked on the first day

2) I have "Force click with one finger" set for "Look up & data detectors". It still doesn't work. I switched to "Tap with three fingers" and the look up works fine.

3) I tried Force Click on other functions (eg: calendar, quicktime, dock, etc) all are working fine. This indicates that hardware is good.

4) I upgraded OS X to 10.10.3 and it does not work still.

I am totally stuck now and appreciate for any suggestion on what might have gone wrong. Thanks!

Gruujay

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2015
I cannot use the force click with PAGES , but it works perfectly with Safari , How do I turn it on , Thanks

Gruujay

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2015
It works when I change to Tap with three finger under system preference but when I change back to Force Click, it doesn't work

rellerby

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
I cannot use the force click with PAGES , but it works perfectly with Safari , How do I turn it on , Thanks

I have this exact same problem. Force Click works everywhere except Pages. Three finger taps works on Pages though. Can anyone help?

omeileo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
Hi everyone,

2 weeks ago I bought the new 2015 rMBP and I've been having problems with the Force Click features, as far as I can see the actual trackpad is fine as the features work fine on quicktime (variable speeds with the variable pressure) and I can feel the second click, however, in applications like Safari and Finder it doesn't work, I can't look up any words and Quick Look isn't working either.

Can anyone help?
Go to System Preference, Trackpad, Point & Click, and turn Force Click off then on. Also, ensure that the Force Touch to do different stuff checkbox is checked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.