Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gil888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
hello guys, I got a mackbook pro with 128GB SSD and I would like to extend.
I was told it would be a lot cheaper to buy the memory stick I want (512GB) and replace it myself or in a lab.

My question is, is there any difference between the SSD according to PC or Mac?
Because I want to purchase the SAMSUNG PRO type, and Im not sure if theres a different type for macbooks.

Thanks ahaed

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
You can't switch it out unless it's from another Mac. You're essentially stuck with the 128 GB. Some people got second hand SSD's from eBay. You can try there.

gil888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
what do you mean?

I was told its possible but I gotta pass on the disc insert :eek:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Which macbook pro?

what do you mean?

Is it a retina?? What year is it??

Any retina macbook pro late 2013 onwards has a proprietry SSD connection and tehre are NO aftermarket products for them. If someone told you differently then they lied.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Is it a retina?? What year is it??

Any retina macbook pro late 2013 onwards has a proprietry SSD connection and tehre are NO aftermarket products for them. If someone told you differently then they lied.

This.

You will need to find an SSD from another Macbook Pro - so possibly Craiglist, eBay - there are no aftermarket products as the connections are not the same.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
what do you mean?

Its possible, but since no one is selling them commercially you cannot go and buy them. You'll need to buy used SSDs off ebay if you wish to upgrade your storage.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
What everyone has said is true if you have a Retina MacBook Pro.

If you have an older non-Retina model, though, you can quite easily upgrade your SSD. Then the Samsung 850 Pro is an excellent choice!

gil888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Not enough info.

My mackbook isnt the new retina type, I bought it 3 years ago so its from the old version.

but my question is this, is there a different type of samsung SSD for mac or its the same type of SSD for everytype?

Brittw1

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
My mackbook isnt the new retina type, I bought it 3 years ago so its from the old version.

but my question is this, is there a different type of samsung SSD for mac or its the same type of SSD for everytype?

Nope they are all the same. I recommend the Samsung evo.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
My bad. I just assumed you had a retina one.

I'd recommend a samsung one from amazon.

Make sure to shop around though. You should be able to get a steal.

And also buy it on an AMEX card if you can. It doubles the warranty automatically.

I believe almost all AMEX cards come with this service at no additional cost.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Cool....

Any modern SSD will do you fine. Samsung make great SSD's but the crucial MX series often just shades them on price and has a few less firmware issues...

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
AFAIK, I think it's only the Platinum and Centurion ones.

- I believe it's all of them. But isn't it only 1 year extra and only for warranties of 5 years or less? In that case, it would have no impact on the Samsung 850 Pro's 10 year warranty, but would add 1 year to the 850 EVO's 5 years.

To the OP, here is some literature on the 850 Pro and 850 EVO. They are both excellent choices, and Anandtech has the following to say about the Pro:
Anandtech said:
If you are looking for a SATA 6Gbps drive and want the absolute best, the 850 Pro is your pick. It is without a doubt the best drive in the market as long as you are able to justify the price premium over other options.

And as others have said, there are no specific PC or Mac SSDs. Any SATA SSD will work in your MacBook Pro.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
And also buy it on an AMEX card if you can. It doubles the warranty automatically.

I believe almost all AMEX cards come with this service at no additional cost.

Amex isn't the only card company to do this anymore. My Discover does it, as do my Chase Visa and a Citi-backed card (I believe), all at no additional cost.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
OP: Newegg was selling 960gb Crucial M4 drives in their news letter yesterday or the day before for $299. That's pretty good IMO. I put 256gb Crucial M4 drives in all of my team's workstations when we got them 2-3 years ago. I've also got a 512gb in my home workstation that I've used for a year or two. Have had no problems and performance is stellar.

Amex extended warranty on my card adds a year on top of the manufacturer's warranty. It doesn't "double" it unless the manufacturer only has a 1 year warranty.

AFAIK, I think it's only the Platinum and Centurion ones.

My Amex Blue Cash card has it. I've used it several times.

Amex isn't the only card company to do this anymore. My Discover does it, as do my Chase Visa and a Citi-backed card (I believe), all at no additional cost.

Yep. Most quality credit cards offer a similar service.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I recently (maybe ~3 months ago) installed a Samsung 850 Evo SSD in my sister's 2012 cMBP and it runs perfectly. I did quite a bit of research before choosing that one. I had it narrowed down between that and the Crucial MX100 and ultimately went with the Samsung because via rebate it was ending up cheaper. I would recommend Newegg.com as I have gotten many good deals on computer components from them in the past.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.