Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I picked this desk up from Ikea this weekend. I've been eyeing this combination for a while, seeing if I found something else, but I didn't.

It is the Gerton table top with the Finnvard legs. The legs are height adjustable, and I have my desk height at 31.5" below the table to floor. I'm a tall guy (6'4") and it helps a lot.

It is a bigger desk than the picture portrays. This is the 61" width desk, with a 27" iMac on it. The poster behind it is oversized. I have dual 24" at the office, and they would fit fine on this desk as well.

The Galant series of desks are also height adjustable, but no wear near as stable when about ~31". I use a Galant L-shape desk at the office, and it is a solid desk as well.

And ignore my dog.... she photobombed me.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    799.5 KB · Views: 20,219

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Did some re-arranging....The cabinet with the mixer on it now ads extra space...Note the sub woofer under the desk....I do like a heavy bass sound, and it's available to my AV TV system as well as my Mac:)

Attachments

• Desk1.jpg
    Desk1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 879
  • Desk2.jpg
    Desk2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 711

beachyhead

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Help!

Yesterday I bought the same Finnvard legs & Gerton table top you have in this picture. But I have no idea how to attach the table top to the legs. Please help! :confused:

I picked this desk up from Ikea this weekend. I've been eyeing this combination for a while, seeing if I found something else, but I didn't.

It is the Gerton table top with the Finnvard legs. The legs are height adjustable, and I have my desk height at 31.5" below the table to floor. I'm a tall guy (6'4") and it helps a lot.

It is a bigger desk than the picture portrays. This is the 61" width desk, with a 27" iMac on it. The poster behind it is oversized. I have dual 24" at the office, and they would fit fine on this desk as well.

The Galant series of desks are also height adjustable, but no wear near as stable when about ~31". I use a Galant L-shape desk at the office, and it is a solid desk as well.

And ignore my dog.... she photobombed me.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Yesterday I bought the same Finnvard legs & Gerton table top you have in this picture. But I have no idea how to attach the table top to the legs. Please help! :confused:

I'm out of my house for the next few weeks, so I can't double check.... but, I believe I drilled in new holes in the table top to match the dowel positions on the Finnvard legs. I definitely remember that the pre-drilled holes didn't line up exactly.

I am only using the dowels to "attach" the top -- it isn't secured permanently. Also, I would recommend using an oil/sealer on the top. It should make it much easier to clean.

beachyhead

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Thank you so much! Now I can enjoy my iMac 5K on a very nice Ikea desk! :D

I'm out of my house for the next few weeks, so I can't double check.... but, I believe I drilled in new holes in the table top to match the dowel positions on the Finnvard legs. I definitely remember that the pre-drilled holes didn't line up exactly.

I am only using the dowels to "attach" the top -- it isn't secured permanently. Also, I would recommend using an oil/sealer on the top. It should make it much easier to clean.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Does anyone use a standing deck?

Actually, I have had colleagues who did this, - usually women, and they swore by it - but I prefer to sit while writing, and working on related matters.

For myself, my personal preference is a nice, solid, classical (even antique) old wooden desk; I love Regency furniture, with its clean, understated, elegant lines.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Does anyone use a standing desk?

There are a number of people at my work that have adjustable desks. They've gotten so popular here now that you pretty much need a doctor's note to get your desk retrofitted to be adjustable. Personally I would love an adjustable desk. Sit for an hour, stand for 20 minutes, repeat. I think that'd be nice.

Also, I've been hearing about more and more people going to chairs like this...

Winbex-saddle-seat.jpg

Much better for posture as opposed to the classic "office chair". I would love to try one, but I'm too cheap to buy my own office chair. :)

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002

Yeah, I have an adjustable desk at work made by some company called varidesk. A bunch of people randomly got them one day, and I missed out on that. But one of my coworkers got fed up of it so I inherited his tabletop lol.

It's fantastic! I spend about (at least) half the day standing. You really need your monitors on an arm to make them high enough though.

And compared to a full standing desk they're a little cheaper. Looking at the prices now, wow. Not that much cheaper. They make sitting a bit more awkward, though.

Thing is even the nice-ish $1k convertible tables aren't THAT expensive, when you cost a lot more than that to your company anyway. I'm not sure why they would freak out about it.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
There are a number of people at my work that have adjustable desks. They've gotten so popular here now that you pretty much need a doctor's note to get your desk retrofitted to be adjustable. Personally I would love an adjustable desk. Sit for an hour, stand for 20 minutes, repeat. I think that'd be nice.

Also, I've been hearing about more and more people going to chairs like this...

Much better for posture as opposed to the classic "office chair". I would love to try one, but I'm too cheap to buy my own office chair. :)

Why do I think of a certain "adult" toy every time I look at this seat! :eek::D

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Years ago we had one of those "kneeling" chairs (the kind with a seat and knee rests, but no back) in the office. I tried it for a while. I really liked sitting on it, but I kept tripping over it trying to stand up. As I was up and down all day, it really wasn't worth it.

My desk (pictured way above) is an old drafting table. Works alright as a standing desk - just a shade low. However my work office has an 8' counter top setup (with another, lower, 4' counter holding my printers) as a standing desk at just the right height. I do use a stool once in a while, but for the most part, I'm working from one end of the counter to the other, so standing works out alright. When not being used, my bar stool often holds my briefcase - at just the right height!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Yeah, I have an adjustable desk at work made by some company called varidesk.

You don't think standing while working would be fatiguing? Lately I've been working about 8-10 straight hours at a computer (finishing thesis) and I do get up a walk every now and then, but to just stand and work sounds like it would cause fatigue.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Sure, sometimes your feet get sore, or your knees. You don't want to stay in one position too long, even standing. Some people have treadmills under their desks to combat that. Hrmm I probably have room for a treadmill, but I think the noise would annoy the crap out of the guys sitting by me, and then I wouldn't have a place to fit my chair lol.

Last edited:

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I have simply reused the stainless steel prep tables in the new house. I may replace the large table with a wooden table soon.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,111

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You don't think standing while working would be fatiguing? Lately I've been working about 8-10 straight hours at a computer (finishing thesis) and I do get up a walk every now and then, but to just stand and work sounds like it would cause fatigue.

I have been standing for about a year and a half. I have an adjustable workstation, so I can alternate between standing and sitting, which is really the ideal scenario. Still, I probably stand about 80% of the time. It takes some getting used to, but so long as it's paired with other positive life changes, it can make a huge improvement in energy levels.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Gorgeous desk! Do you use an iMac on it?

I used to have a Thunderbolt display with a Macbook Pro Retina. These days it is still a Macbook Pro Retina + a 34" LG.

I may change it up again and do an iMac + one of the new Macbooks. We shall see.

macalla

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
My desk. Vanity panels make it easier to hide cables.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 945

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I'm currently using a Galant corner setup from Ikea. It has plenty of space for what I need.

Here's an older pic:
11142228813_2765bf67f4_c.jpg

davidto

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
I installed a through desk monitor arm from monitors in motion, ikea cable management racks and a powerstrip under the desk and you would be hard pressed to think of it as anything but a desk if you saw it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.