Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the course of the last several weeks, Apple has been hiring new employees for its upcoming Apple Store in São Paulo, Brazil, and as of this week, barriers decorated with Apple logos have gone up around the store, suggesting the store's official launch is growing closer.

Shared by Brazilian site Blog do iPhone [Google Translate], the barricades feature an Apple logo surrounded by dots in varying sizes in silver, gold, and space gray, the colors of the iPhone, the iPad, and the upcoming MacBook.

tapumeMorumbi1-800x498.jpg
The words on the walls read "Apple Store Morumbi. Em Breve," which translates to "Coming soon," and another section reads "Entre nessa festa," roughly translating to "Enter this party."

The São Paulo store is something of a big deal for Apple, because it's only the second store in the country and the first in the metropolis, which is Brazil's most populous city. The first Apple Store in Brazil was opened in Rio de Janeiro in February of 2014.

tapumeMorumbi3-800x478.jpg
Apple has a bit of a tough time selling its products in Brazil because the prices are much higher than in other countries. Because of taxes and tariffs on imported goods, the entry level iPhone 6 is priced at R$ 3.499 in the country, equivalent to $1,100 in U.S. dollars, and $450 higher than the price in the United States.

Still, Brazil's first store opening in Rio was very popular, drawing more than 1,700 attendees, and the São Paulo store opening will likely garner even more attention due to the city's size. Last week, we got an early look into the São Paulo store, depicting a standard layout with no particularly impressive architectural flares.

When the Rio store opened, there were 20 days between the time when the barricades went up and launch took place, so if the São Paulo store follows a similar timeline, it could open in late April or early May.

Article Link: Upcoming São Paulo Retail Store Gains Apple-Decorated Barricades as Opening Approaches

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Prices for imported products in Brazil are a joke. Mostly due taxes.
I used for many years took my used iPhones and iPads to sell down there and would get the same amount of a new in the USA. Prices for new ones were almost triple to what you can find in the US.
Now it is harder to do that because the dollar is higher and also some of taxation lowered. But still overly expensive to buy anything. Cheaper fly to USA and go shopping.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Did they draw the inspiration from those color-blindness tests you do at the eye doctor? Anyone ? :)

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
But still overly expensive to buy anything. Cheaper fly to USA and go shopping.

All countries try to promote locally made goods, but the tariffs are a bit crazy for popular international brands.

I regularly see Brazilians visiting the US do a LOT of shopping to take back home. Even bicycles! :D

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Prices for imported products in Brazil are a joke. Mostly due taxes.
I used for many years took my used iPhones and iPads to sell down there and would get the same amount of a new in the USA. Prices for new ones were almost triple to what you can find in the US.
Now it is harder to do that because the dollar is higher and also some of taxation lowered. But still overly expensive to buy anything. Cheaper fly to USA and go shopping.

All countries try to promote locally made goods, but the tariffs are a bit crazy for popular international brands.

I regularly see Brazilians visiting the US do a LOT of shopping to take back home. Even bicycles! :D

I had read somewhere (maybe even on MR) that Apple was partnering with Foxcon to build a plant in Brasil. What happened to that? If that were to go through, it could make the products a lot cheaper since they would be built in Brasil, right?

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
I had read somewhere (maybe even on MR) that Apple was partnering with Foxcon to build a plant in Brasil. What happened to that? If that were to go through, it could make the products a lot cheaper since they would be built in Brasil, right?

One factory building iPads doesn't make all Apple products local.

dayalprem

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Campo Mourao, Brazil
In Brazil, Apple doesn't have to over charge

Sony has a plant for Play Station in Brasil, still it's sold the most expensive there. The taxes are the whole reason for all this.

P.S: As all my Brazilian friends say,"Dilma Rousseff é porra" :D

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

I have several friends and family that go to Miami/NY just for shopping. Even with the hotel and air expenses makes sense for them to come here. That said with the dollar getting strong those days might be numbered for the medium class.
It's crazy. When I visit Rio, where I am from I don't buy anything, just eat and stay at my family's house. It's insane the prices and the quality of services and not even close to what you find on first world countries.
The dollar IMO will eventually get higher there and going down will be a bit more affordable.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
One factory building iPads doesn't make all Apple products local.

Okay, I just remembered the story. So there is a factory building iPads in Brasil? Does that change the price points for iPads? I am just curious about this and how the tax system works there.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Okay, I just remembered the story. So there is a factory building iPads in Brasil? Does that change the price points for iPads? I am just curious about this and how the tax system works there.

It builds iPads and iPhones I believe. And no, the prices did not change! I've never been able to find anyone who can explain to me why the prices did not change for the made in Brazil items.

Just for reference, import duty for items in Brazil is something like 60%, sometimes higher. So if you take the price of an iPhone in the US, add 60%, you are getting somewhere close to the Brazilian price.

ScottDaisy

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
Maybe it has some tough time in Brazil. But iPhone is so pupular now in the worldwide scale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.