Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
I've been using this protector for about 2 months now and thought I'd share some pros and cons since there is a lot of questions about glass protectors. The price was not cheap, it cost around $60 at the time I purchased for my iPhone 6. I was lucky with the price because my girlfriend's mom was in Taiwan at the time and she picked it up so there was no shipping cost.

Installing was tricky but not too bad. It was just like any other glass protector, with a clean environment and lots of patience a perfect install would not be impossible. I tried the 'steam install' where the install is done in the bathroom after you take a shower. The claim is that this apparently settles the dust in the room giving you a dust free area to install. I lined up the protector and applied it perfectly but there were two line of bubbles going up and down on the screen area both on the right and left. Sorry I don't have pics for this. It wouldn't go away even after weeks or how much pressure I put on it. It was ugly, I couldn't get used to it so I ordered another one, yes I spent $120 on 2 screen protectors but I can't enjoy my phone if its not perfect.

Second install was perfect and now I am using it without any problems.

PROS

-Looks awesome, really does look like there is no protector on it
-The curved edges cover around 80% of the curvature
-Made of corning gorilla glass, I took it off and re-applied several times using a credit card to lift up the edges and put significant pressure on it without issue

CONS

-Lack in coating, if my finger is a bit moist or sweaty, finger does not glide. This is my biggest issue because I don't get that smooth glide...my finger has to be super dry.
-Getting rid of bubbles during install is hard. I had to put significant pressure on a bubble and hold my finger there for minutes. I had to do this many times on my second install.

Potential buyers: if you see bubbles just put pressure on it without moving your finger around and hold for a minute to make it go away

People still deciding: buy if you like having the curved protection and like the look. Don't buy if you like smooth feeling when you swipe because this has a really low score on smoothness.

I'm not a photographer sorry for quality

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    910.3 KB · Views: 647
  • p2.JPG
    p2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 744
  • p4.JPG
    p4.JPG
    876.6 KB · Views: 424
  • p5.JPG
    p5.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 459

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
thanks for the review, I was really close to buying it when they were on pre-release but decided against it

the cost (for me) was not worth it, and now that you mention tricky installation and screen smoothness, I'm glad I went with the CoolReal. It was only $13

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
I wish there were more in depth english reviews like this when i ordered mine. Regardless i love mine as well, contrary to your post, this screen protector seems to have the best coating out of all 10 different ones i have tried. i ordered my first one for about $80 from connect2u and then ordered a second one from SR STORE for around $65 when i had to get a replacement iphone for a speaker issue.

Connect2U

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2015
Malaysia
I wish there were more in depth english reviews like this when i ordered mine. Regardless i love mine as well, contrary to your post, this screen protector seems to have the best coating out of all 10 different ones i have tried. i ordered my first one for about $80 from connect2u and then ordered a second one from SR STORE for around $65 when i had to get a replacement iphone for a speaker issue.

Do you have anyone in mind that able to provide a non bias in depth reviews?
We have tried to look for one but unfortunately most of the youtubers did not reply to us. Those who replied requested for a sponsorship which we preferred not to as any sponsorship might leads to a biased review.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Sorry, I don't use a case. I was able to get my Apple silicone case on, however

Wow, brave naked iPhone user! Do you use any kind of film on the back to prevent scratches? Does the Imos screen protector make you feel more comfortable about going around naked?

Kristin

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Wow, brave naked iPhone user! Do you use any kind of film on the back to prevent scratches? Does the Imos screen protector make you feel more comfortable about going around naked?

Kristin

Skin. Dropped it face down on tile today and iMos survived without a scratch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.