Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
I live in Seattle, and as part of a free city promo, I received one free Philips LED light bulb.

The problem is that it's a "soft white", one of those bulbs that coats everything in a piss yellow color. :mad:

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I tend to d better with warmer light bulbs as anything too white has that office feel. Of course I love REAL day light.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I greatly dislike the yellowish tint caused by some bulbs - makes painting my walls and floors white rather pointless. I prefer stark white light out of bulbs (without an actual lamp) and LED lamps but..

..compromise was using those beautiful Japanese Akari lamps made out of shoji paper where a more cosy feel is welcomed.

I like daylight LED bulbs.

Hey there, old fello[ww]! Long time no see - be it DAY or NIGHT.. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While I like daylight most of all, I prefer anything to fluorescent lighting, or that bleak white glare. So, yes, I do like soft, white lighting, and warm glows.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I have two LEDs in my bathroom light fixture and one incandescent. I'm also sitting here typing this by the light of an LED that's from the same batch as the ones in my bathroom.

The bulbs are all visible in my bathroom light fixture, and the two LEDs have pretty much the same color temperature as the 60W incandescent.

Incidentally, my reason for that particular combination is that I find the light from LEDs to be too "directional". They're fine under a lamp shade(I'd go so far as to say you would think they were incandescent if I didn't say otherwise), but with the relatively "open" bathroom fixtures I prefer having at least some fill light for the rest of the room.

I prefer incandescents for general use, and especially as reading lights. That's why I've stubbornly refused to use CFLs in applications where I knew they would be reading lights(I've bought some high end CFLs, too, that claimed to avoid this problem). LEDs, however, to me are effective replacements for incandescents and as budget allows I'm slowly going to be transitioning lamps over to them. The only place where I'm going to keep incadescents-at least partially-is in open fixtures such as in the bathroom.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
My wife is passionate about her lightbulb preferences.

But me? If it's lighter than darkness, then I don't care.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My wife is passionate about her lightbulb preferences.

But me? If it's lighter than darkness, then I don't care.

As am I.

Light influences mood, and ambience. You can set a tone in a room with little more than thoughtfully placed - and angled, and directed - lighting, with attention paid to strength, tint, luminosity, visibility, and so on.

Actually, I am passionate not just about lightbulb preferences, but about materials used in lighting, lamps and shades, and the setting and placing of sources of lighting.

One of my personal favourites is an old gas lamp from the nineteenth century, which my father grew up with (using it as a gas lamp) and which he later adapted for electric lighting over half a century ago. I still use it, although I had to get it repaired around a decade ago; the gas light bowl gives a wonderfully warm glow.

And I have to say that I loathe most (artificial) overhead lighting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.