Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips today announced a new addition to its popular line of iPhone-connected lights, the Hue Go. Hue Go is a WiFi-enabled portable light that connects to and functions like the company's existing Hue lights, but it can be moved from its base to any room in the house.

Hue Go has a rechargeable internal battery that lasts for up to three hours when removed from the base, and its bowl-like shape lets it be positioned in several different ways so it can serve multiple functions as an accent light.

huego1.jpg
Philips Hue Go can be moved from the garden to the living room to the bedroom without the worry of wires; letting you create and enjoy a new ambience each time. It can also be positioned in different ways to adapt to your needs; enhance a living space by positioning it to face a wall washing it with light, add ambience to an intimate dinner by placing it as a center piece on the table or focused on a piece of work by directing the light where you need it.
The light connects to an existing Hue Bridge and it can be controlled with the Philips Hue iOS app or any of the hundreds of apps that take advantage of the Hue API. Like the rest of the color-enabled Hue lights, there are 16 million color choices available. It works with Philips Hue and Friends of Hue products.

huego2-800x599.jpg
Hue Go also has a built-in control button that will let you change the color of the light to one of several included scenes even when your iPhone isn't nearby. Presets include Cozy Candle, Sunday Coffee, Meditation, Enchanted Forest, and Night Adventure, and Philips says each one of these color schemes features a unique mix of colors.

Philips Hue Go will be available in the U.S. at the end of May or in early June, and it will be priced at $99.95. Like other Hue lights, it will be available in the Apple Store, at Best Buy, and on Amazon.com.

Article Link: Philips Debuts 'Hue Go' iPhone-Connected Portable Light

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Sure seems like an answer in search of a problem.

I suppose the Philips product planning committee thought it seemed like a good idea at the time.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I really like these Hue products. Wish they would come down in price just a bit.

Me, too.

I'm about three years from being ready to build a home. I hope that Apple, Philips, Tesla, and others use that time to make my dream of a smart, efficient, solar-powered, geothermally-heated and cooled palace an affordable reality.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Me, too.

I'm about three years from being ready to build a home. I hope that Apple, Philips, Tesla, and others use that time to make my dream of a smart, efficient, solar-powered, geothermally-heated and cooled palace an affordable reality.

The Apple House Edition on the other hand....

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I'll gladly spend € 99 if it means I don't have to constantly move my lamps and cables from the garden to all around the house itself.

Oh wait. I never do that.

---------------------

What I really hate about those Hue lamps (not the bulbs) is you can basically throw them away when something breaks down, since it's all custom build stuff.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
The problem with this useless item is that it doesn't actually put out any useful level of light. It just looks nice.

ScottDaisy

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
I am happy with this fancy thing which is for children. And it could be used in some special situation like wedding, Christmas, Valentine's day and other merry festivals ...

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Someone should tell this poor girl that there is a couch right behind her! :)

The couch is getting repossessed as we speak, since she bought a handful of Hues for the house ;)

----------

I am happy with this fancy thing which is for children. And it could be used in some special situation like wedding, Christmas, Valentine's day and other merry festivals ...

And one could insist the family buys a Hue bulb for each of these occasions ;)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am still waiting for Hue to work with Home Kit. I have 4 bulbs already, but am holding out on any more until a homekit solution comes out.

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Me, too.

I'm EXACTLY in the same boat. Timeframe included and all :D

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I really like these Hue products. Wish they would come down in price just a bit.

you can also use other connected bulbs with philips hue bridge just as long as they say they work with zwave GE link bulbs are only 14 Bucks each but don't change color

i must admit i do like the SIFY sync when watching 12 Monkeys

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Didn't they huat announce that they were going to sell their lightbulb-business?

Doesn't make we want to spend that cash on a business that I don't even know will be continued after a new investor takes over.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
The problem with this useless item is that it doesn't actually put out any useful level of light. It just looks nice.
What are you talking about? Can't you see the woman in the ad is able to enjoy a paperback? :rolleyes:

:p

run1976

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Germany
What is the problem with a light source...

that will not light up the whole room. It makes perfect sense in many occasions. I for one prefer a little less light in the evenings when I chill out with my wife.
This thing should work great in Hotel rooms, too. Just came back from a family vacation and most hotels only offer very bright lights so one cannot read without disturbing the others sleep.
It is very pricey though...

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014

Yeah they are pricey for sure but they are awesome and it will save you money on the long run. Now you can get the starter pack with 2 bulbs that are only white and not multicoloured and its like 50% cheaper than the original starter pack with 3 coloured bulps.
I wish we would get home kit support finally, I desperately want to use Siri to turn my lights on. :D

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
It says it has 300 lumens, which certainly isn't "bright" but would be plenty for a lot of situations. I don't think they were trying to make a light that you would use to do your math homework in.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011

It says right in the article "...so it can serve multiple functions as an accent light."

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.