Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThinkFast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
Would a PowerMac G5 with a SATA-1 bus running OSX 10.4.11, recognize an external SATA HDD connected to the internal SATA port via a [SATA to USB 3.0] adapter cable?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Would a PowerMac G5 with a SATA-1 bus running OSX 10.4.11, recognize an external SATA HDD connected to the internal SATA port via a [SATA to USB 3.0] adapter cable?

Most of those adapters are designed to connect to the SATA port on the hard drive and the USB port on the computer.

ThinkFast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
Most of those adapters are designed to connect to the SATA port on the hard drive and the USB port on the computer.
Are you saving you don't think it will work in reverse or just making an observation?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Are you saving you don't think it will work in reverse or just making an observation?

Both...

If you can somehow get the proper cables it may work if it is just a regular hard drive in a dumb enclosure but with some of the built in controllers and chipsets on external hard drives these days it is getting harder for something like this to work.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

I think it would but you would have to go with an external HDD docking station due to the fact that they are meant to house bare HDDs and are more than likely not proprietary and will allow an external HDD to be connected via eSATA.

You can get a thermal take external HDD docking station or a NewerTech one from OWC that has eSATA/USB 3.0/FW400/FW800 ports.

ThinkFast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
Both...

If you can somehow get the proper cables it may work if it is just a regular hard drive in a dumb enclosure but with some of the built in controllers and chipsets on external hard drives these days it is getting harder for something like this to work.
Sorry if I didn't make this clear in the OP, but I intend to connect the USB 3.0 end of the cable to a WXP PC USB 3.0 port and the SATA end to the PowerMac G5 HDD Controller SATA connector. And I agree that this type of adapter was not necessarily designed to do this. That's why I'm posting this here before I waste my money buying the adapter.

Thanks in advance.

----------

I think it would but you would have to go with an external HDD docking station due to the fact that they are meant to house bare HDDs and are more than likely not proprietary and will allow an external HDD to be connected via eSATA.

You can get a thermal take external HDD docking station or a NewerTech one from OWC that has eSATA/USB 3.0/FW400/FW800 ports.
FW800 ports? I will consider this alternative as well.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Sorry if I didn't make this clear in the OP, but I intend to connect the USB 3.0 end of the cable to a WXP PC USB 3.0 port and the SATA end to the PowerMac G5 HDD Controller SATA connector. And I agree that this type of adapter was not necessarily designed to do this. That's why I'm posting this here before I waste my money buying the adapter.

Thanks in advance.

So what are you trying to do? Are you trying to read the other hard drives in the G5 from the PC or are you trying to read the PC from the G5? Or what? :confused:

ThinkFast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
So what are you trying to do? Are you trying to read the other hard drives in the G5 from the PC or are you trying to read the PC from the G5? Or what? :confused:
I'm trying to read/backup data on the PC from the G5?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Thanks in advance.

No. In that case it would not work. You would need to either pull the drive out of the PC to read it on the G5 or put the G5 into TDM to read the data on the PC.

ThinkFast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
No. In that case it would not work. You would need to either pull the drive out of the PC to read it on the G5 or put the G5 into TDM to read the data on the PC.
Ok. Thanks. I will either mount the drive in the PMG5 or get a external FW800 housing for it. Wish I could put a PC into TDM.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
A USB housing would work too and are a bit more affordable.

And more compatible and universal.

Why are firewire devices so much more expensive than USB devices? I've noticed that Firewire enclosures have a lot of chips, and make a lot of heat, whereas USB enclosures usually have one really tiny chip. Probably because of the daisy-chaining feature. This is probably why they are more expensive. Also maybe because of licensing or something like that.

Firewire is already obsolete now (lol) so I recommend getting a USB 3.0 enclosure. They're faster than FireWire 800, work with nearly any computer :). Don't get USB 2 because it will bottleneck the hard drive and you won't be able to get the full speed of the hard drive on newer computers with USB 3.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
And more compatible and universal.

Why are firewire devices so much more expensive than USB devices? I've noticed that Firewire enclosures have a lot of chips, and make a lot of heat, whereas USB enclosures usually have one really tiny chip. Probably because of the daisy-chaining feature. This is probably why they are more expensive. Also maybe because of licensing or something like that.

Firewire is already obsolete now (lol) so I recommend getting a USB 3.0 enclosure. They're faster than FireWire 800, work with nearly any computer :). Don't get USB 2 because it will bottleneck the hard drive and you won't be able to get the full speed of the hard drive on newer computers with USB 3.
FireWire devices have their own controller onboard and can talk to each other without a host PC. All USB calls are routed through the host CPU. That is why TDM mode (and previously SCSI mode) is possible whilst USB mode is not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.