Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tschangrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
So we know now that the watch will open Photos app and allow viewing of photos but does it also play videos in the Photos app? Anyone know?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Why would you watch a video on a tiny screen when the phone in your pocket is at least 4-5X bigger?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I can't believe that this isn't known yet.

Its been known.

As a user, you are only allowed to use a subsection of that total space for certain types of data. As confirmed with Apple, users are only allowed to store up to 2 GB of music on the Watch and up to 75 MB of photos for the Photos app. Note that all three collections — Sport, Watch and Edition — feature the same 8 GB memory capacity.
http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/10/apple...ws-2-gb-of-music-storage-and-75-mb-of-photos/

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Why would you watch a video on a tiny screen when the phone in your pocket is at least 4-5X bigger?

Because I'm a total geek:D

I also want to make video calls on my watch too, good enough for Dick Tracy it's good enough for me.:cool:

tschangrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
So we can't view photos in iphone Photos app?
The photos must be first imported to the watch's internal storage in order to view them? This doesn't sound right.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
So we know now that the watch will open Photos app and allow viewing of photos but does it also play videos in the Photos app? Anyone know?

As a test try holding the position in pic for 60 seconds and see how your arm feels. The :apple:Watch is about glances and not staring at.

looking-at-watch_zpsqxclwiii.jpg

tschangrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Glances? That's what people said about cell phones. Then smartphones came and changed everything. And now we've got smartwatches.

As a test try holding the position in pic for 60 seconds and see how your arm feels. The :apple:Watch is about glances and not staring at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Glances? That's what people said about cell phones. Then smartphones came and changed everything. And now we've got smartwatches.

Here is what Kevin Lynch just said in the Wired interview and he is crystal clear as to the mission statement for the :apple:Watch.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/the-apple-watch/

Keven Lynch said:
...Our phones have become invasive. But what if you could engineer a reverse state of being? What if you could make a device that you wouldn’t—couldn’t—use for hours at a time? What if you could create a device that could filter out all the ************ [BS] and instead only serve you truly important information? You could change modern life. And so after three-plus decades of building devices that grab and hold our attention—the longer the better—Apple has decided that the way forward is to fight back....

Last edited by a moderator:

kid2010

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Message app on Apple Watch supports Video playback from iMsg. I don't know under what kind of circumstance will user ever wants to do that but they can if they really want...

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
If you don't know the answer it's best to keep quiet otherwise you look like a fool as you clearly did here.

He's exactly right. The Watch is designed to be glanced at for a few seconds at a time. Apple has even informed developers to keep this in mind when designing apps. You're the fool for thinking the watch is going to have the same features the iPhone has. This isn't a iphone strapped to your wrist.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
The Watch is designed and intended for activities lasting 10 seconds or less. I'm not even entirely sure why there is a photos app, except for maybe as a means of having assignable images for contacts and custom watch faces.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
The Watch is designed and intended for activities lasting 10 seconds or less. I'm not even entirely sure why there is a photos app, except for maybe as a means of having assignable images for contacts and custom watch faces.

The photos app makes no sense to me either. I can understand looking at facebook or instagram pics but photos?

"Heres a pic of my baby, oh you can't see it on my tiny watch screen? *sigh* let me pull out my iPhone". :confused:

tschangrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Excellent, Thanks for this info.

Message app on Apple Watch supports Video playback from iMsg. I don't know under what kind of circumstance will user ever wants to do that but they can if they really want...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The photos app makes no sense to me either. I can understand looking at facebook or instagram pics but photos?

"Heres a pic of my baby, oh you can't see it on my tiny watch screen? *sigh* let me pull out my iPhone". :confused:
it would have the same appeal as a locket photo I suppose. After you have worn a locket awhile the photo, tiny as it is, comes to mean a lot.

I don't know if a digital version could ever hold the same significance but it will be interesting to find out. As a wife and mom I do look forward to having the opportunity for a quick peek at locket-like photos on my wrist while my family and I are apart during the day. Assuming it's easily accessible with a tap or two. Otherwise I may as well whip out the IPhone or IPad and look at photos there--and honestly as much as I adore my family I wouldn't bother unless we have to be apart for more than a day. A locket and an Iwatch photo are best suited for quick glances sufficient to remind you of the people you love and are slaving your day away for.

I suppose the ability to view a short video and hear a snippet of your loved one's voice would also hold a locket-type appeal. But I am also in the camp that can't imagine putting myself or the watch battery through the strain of trying to watch more than a few seconds of video on it.

Still, I applaud people who have the imagination to want to test or stretch the limits of what the device can do. For every thousand of us who can't imagine why something should be done or why anyone would even want to try, there's that rare person who asks why not, gives it a try and takes us to a new place. Which is how we got to this point with smart watches existing at all.

Last edited:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
it would have the same appeal as a locket photo I suppose. After you have worn a locket awhile the photo, tiny as it is, comes to mean a lot.

I don't know if a digital version could ever hold the same significance but it will be interesting to find out. As a wife and mom I do look forward to having the opportunity for a quick peek at locket-like photos on my wrist while my family and I are apart during the day. Assuming it's easily accessible with a tap or two. Otherwise I may as well whip out the IPhone or IPad and look at photos there--and honestly as much as I adore my family I wouldn't bother unless we have to be apart for more than a day. A locket and an Iwatch photo are best suited for quick glances sufficient to remind you of the people you love and are slaving your day away for.

I suppose the ability to view a wee video and hear a snippet of your loved one's voice would also hold a locket-type appeal. But I am also in the camp that can't imagine putting myself or the watch battery through the strain of trying to watch more than a few seconds of video on it.

Still, I applaud people who have the imagination to want to test or stretch the limits of what the device can do. For every thousand of us who can't imagine why something should be done or why anyone would even want to try, there's that rare person who asks why not, gives it a try and takes us to a new place. Which is how we got to this point with smart watches existing at all.

The locket concept is pretty neat but when I was watching the keynote they were showing an album with 100's of photos in it. That turned me off. It's band enough pics are tiny but the album view is awful.

Multiverse223

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2015
The locket concept is pretty neat but when I was watching the keynote they were showing an album with 100's of photos in it. That turned me off. It's band enough pics are tiny but the album view is awful.

You can set it to only show your favorited photos on your phone...what's the problem? You could make it show 3 photos if you want...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think she means "wee" as in small and not what you're thinking. LOL. Wee is actually a Scottish term for small.
:D

Yes thank you, that's exactly what I meant. I'm part Asian and part Scottish and Irish and German. The multicultural influence on my upbringing does get me into trouble sometimes in the most amusing ways!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.