Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smchid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
I got a new iPod Nano 7th generation. When shuffling music in a playlist, my old iPods remember what was already played (if I stay on the same playlist), even if I turn it off. This one starts over every time I turn on the iPod. So, if I shut it off an go into a store, come back out and turn it on, it starts the shuffle from scratch and will often go to the same songs. Very annoying.

Is there anything I can do to get it to behave right (i.e. like the old iPods)? Or is this lost functionality in the newer ones? The way it is now is bad.

sconzen

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
This interested me, since I just ordered a 7th gen ipod nano, and wanted to see if this issue was fixed/solved.

Anyway, in iTunes, go to the playlist you use on your ipod. Select all music in said playlist, right click and click "Get Info". Click the "Options" tab and there should be a check box called "Remember playback position". Check that box, click "OK", then sync your iPod.

This looks and sounds like it would solve the issue, but if it doesn't, I'm sorry. I don't have the iPod Nano yet so i can't test it. Should arrive by April 8th. ;)

smchid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
iPod Nano shuffle feature starts over each time

I'll give this a try. I think it only works for the playback position inside the song that is playing. But nothing else has worked, so we'll see.

Lucy117

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2015
smchid - did this work? I'm considering buying a nano and this is my biggest concern. Thanks!!

smchid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Hi, I haven't tried it yet. I hope this works, but it is a terrible workaround because I don't like that "feature." Apple appears to have an end-of-life plan for the iPod (a number of recent news items seem to indicate this), so I doubt they care much about making it better (or right).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.