Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Has anyone used one of these ?? I was looking at the olloclip 4in1 mainly for the macro shots .. These moment lens only have wide and tele but claim no distortion unlike the olloclip wide.

Very expensive but seems to be high quality
no macro either .. just wide and tele
http://momentlens.co

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I have both moment lenses and highly recommend them. The only drawback is the mounts you need to stick on your phone. I rigged mine and taped it to the inside of a case instead of adhering it directly to my phone. The lenses are top notch and quite pro feeling. I recommend it.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
amazing quality.

sharp images with very little distortion. highly recommend.
only gripe is the 'mount' bends over time.
you'll need to replace the mount over time - $20 anyway.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'm sure the OP already made a decision, but I had the same issue. I've had the last two Olloclips, and they're decent quality, but I'm sick of buying all new lenses just because I've changed phones. Plus, it was going to cost me additional to buy the Olloclip telephoto attachment, because telephoto and macro were what I really wanted--I don't much need wide angle, and fisheye is fun, but the novelty wears off fast. And of course, Olloclip can't be used with a case, which means I rarely actually used mine. It was just too inconvenient.

But...Moment doesn't have a Macro. I dropped them an email. Here's their response:

Hey,

The macro lens is the next one we are coming out with! We are expecting to announce it in the next 3 months or so but don’t have any exact details at the moment. We will be sure to keep you updated.

Thanks

Moment // Amanda Kirk

ig: @moment_lens
t: @moment
http://momentlens.co

So, at least it appears they have one in the pipeline. On the basis of that reply, plus positive reviews about the quality of their glass, I went ahead and bought their telephoto today. I figure I'll add others as they come out with them, and at least I won't have to buy all new lenses again the next time I get a new phone.

If anyone else has these, would love to hear opinions on how they like them and how well the mounts hold up.

dnoph

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2015
it seems to me that with the Moment and the Olloclip, you can't use them with any case since it has to go directly on the phone?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
it seems to me that with the Moment and the Olloclip, you can't use them with any case since it has to go directly on the phone?

Olloclip cannot be used with a unmodified third party case. With the one for the iPhone 4, I actually took a Dremel tool to a cheap case and made a cutout for the lens setup. Of course, this left a chunk of the phone exposed when the lens wasn't in place! As the iPhone 6/6+ version covers a lot more of the top of the phone, I'd be reluctant to do that again. They did eventually make a case with a moveable corner for the iPhone 4/4S and the 5/5S, there isn't one out yet for the 6 or 6+.

Moment is compatible with many third party cases, but you must attach a mounting plate to your phone. I think some people have also changed around the adhesive used and mounted the plate to the inside of their case instead. The adhesive is a 3M-manufactured removable one; Moment suggests that if you decide to remove the plate, you warm it briefly with a hair dryer first. Some who've removed the plate without the hair dryer trick have lost some of the coloring off their phones. The mounting plate also only comes in black, which is annoying for those with silver or gold phones. Moment will also be introducing a case this year that gets rid of the need to use a mounting plate; they had a Kickstarter for it in January/February.

So, neither is entirely ideal.

cshk9574

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
going to wait for the case to come out and than get both the case and the lens...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.