Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
With new release when they are going to raise the price so we are expecting some hardware upgrades.
In 2016, are we still going use same 5 years old cam? :(

Reread the thread before commenting next time. You look less foolish if you do that.

----------

8 megapixels sensor is still okay since it would cost Apple about $6.00 more to move to a 20 megapixel sensor.

I just hope the upgrade the 6S screen resolution to at least HD.

Another drone like comment, read the thread. The answer to why 20MP is idiotic is in there if you care to read it.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Do you want to go back to the 2mp camera in the 1st iPhone?

To say Megapixels don't matter is ludicrous; however they aren't the only measure of a great camera.

For the past FOUR phones Apple hasn't up'd the megapixels and their logic was sound for most of it as they made other improvements. However, as technology gets better the same quality of photos can be taken at higher megapixels, which is an improvement for sharpness and cropping which many people want. It's time to increase the count.

Side note: Apple has also held this back since they still sell 16gb phones to most people. And Apple users clearly take lots of pics, and the 16gb phones fill up quickly enough as it is because of photos. Increasing megapixels will likely force Apple to start the phone at 32gb, something they have been clearly avoiding for years at this point. Also the thinness of the phones is another reason.

The first iPhone's camera didn't suck because of the megapixel count. It sucked because of the sensor and the software.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
"Apple doesnt need to upgrade the camera. 8MP is good enough"

"Apple doesn't need to upgrade the resolution for the next iPhone. 720p is good enough. Actually, the original retina display from 5yrs ago is good enough."

"Apple doesn't need to upgrade the screen size. 4in is big enough...*insert that's what she said comment*"

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
"Apple doesnt need to upgrade the camera. 8MP is good enough"

"Apple doesn't need to upgrade the resolution for the next iPhone. 720p is good enough. Actually, the original retina display from 5yrs ago is good enough."

"Apple doesn't need to upgrade the screen size. 4in is big enough...*insert that's what she said comment*"

THis has nothing to do with "good enough", it is the best the format allows (in particular thickness and lens). Thats way way different those other things you mention. The other restrictions were marketing/product design decision, this is not

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Apple doesn't want to upgrade the camera's megapixel count is because it would require the working RAM to go from 1GB to 2GB (especially to capture high res video). That would make the parts more expensive and lower their profit margin. Plain and simple.

Well with 700 billion I'm sure they can take the hit.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
THis has nothing to do with "good enough", it is the best the format allows (in particular thickness and lens). Thats way way different those other things you mention. The other restrictions were marketing/product design decision, this is not

Actually this has a lot to do with it being "good enough" since some people have said that 8MP is good enough. Apple could easily upgrade the camera to 12 or even 16MP. Say what you will about samsung, but the GS5 and especially the Note 4's 16MP camera absolutely kills the iPhone. And if Apple is gonna seriously keep the same damn 8MP camera for the 6S/7/or whatever they're gonna call it (which I doubt tbh) the GS6 and the Note 5's camera will eat the iPhone's camera for lunch. I'm an apple guy and I love my 6+ but even I can admit that Samsung killed it and continues to kill it in the camera department.

My original point still stands. You have people who are always like "Apple doesn't need *insert next gen awesome feature* b/c *insert 2-3yr old feature* is still good enough" Just let the damn phone advance.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Actually this has a lot to do with it being "good enough" since some people have said that 8MP is good enough. Apple could easily upgrade the camera to 12 or even 16MP. Say what you will about samsung, but the GS5 and especially the Note 4's 16MP camera absolutely kills the iPhone. And if Apple is gonna seriously keep the same damn 8MP camera for the 6S/7/or whatever they're gonna call it (which I doubt tbh) the GS6 and the Note 5's camera will eat the iPhone's camera for lunch. I'm an apple guy and I love my 6+ but even I can admit that Samsung killed it and continues to kill it in the camera department.

My original point still stands. You have people who are always like "Apple doesn't need *insert next gen awesome feature* b/c *insert 2-3yr old feature* is still good enough" Just let the damn phone advance.

Since reviews disagree with what the hell you said, I'll disregard all the rest. you just lied.

Justin33

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
This complete and utter refusal by Apple to upgrade the camera sensor is getting to be flat out ridiculous. Get with it, and upgrade the damn thing.

Times change. Technology evolves. Apple must learn to embrace that.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
This complete and utter refusal by Apple to upgrade the camera sensor is getting to be flat out ridiculous. Get with it, and upgrade the damn thing.

Times change. Technology evolves. Apple must learn to embrace that.

Please read the thread and desist posting utter nonsense. There is no tech that will give you better photos with 16MP on a 6mm thick cell phone with a tiny lens than a 8MP one. At most, it will be a wash and your extra pixels will have no new information/detail. That's been demonstrated in all reviews of Android cameras vs Apple cameras.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I had the Galaxy S5 for quite a while and its glorious 16MP camera and my photos never came out as clean as on an iPhone. The camera was also very slow to open (usually taking about 3 seconds) it was terrible in low light situations. Eventually I lowered the resolution down to 6MP to make it bearable because having a huge picture size doesn't matter to me.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Since reviews disagree with what the hell you said, I'll disregard all the rest. you just lied.

I "lied" b/c you don't agree with what I said. Awesome. And many reviews have praised the Note 4's camera, some even putting it over the 6 Plus. Many have even said that the Note 4 is easily the better "big" phone. Guess they're lying too. Whatev bro.

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
I don't think Apple has ever tried to convince people to upgrade every single new model that comes out. Most people stick with 2 year upgrade cycles that coincide with their carrier contract renewals / subsidies.

Brics

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
I don't really care about the camera (it's good enough for me anyway), but the next iphone must have 2GB RAM, quad core, much improved GPU, 32GB as standard. The ip6 specs are pathetic in 2015 and the phone stutters and don't get me started about Safari tab reload.

Sadly, if they keep the same camera (8MP, no 4K) i think they won't bump the storage to 32GB. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.