Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panoush

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I bought an iphone 4s jailbroken from ebay, here: here

I bought it thinking it was Unlocked & jaibroken, but stupidly only realized now that it actually says in the description Jailbroken OR Unlocked.

It came jailbroken it has cydia and other things on it, it came with a US simcard ( I'm in europe) and when turned on the phone works, and when I insert my own sim ( Lyca Mobile portugal) it reboots quickly and asks me to activate the iphone using wifi, when i connect to the wifi it comes up with error saying " failed, try with itunes" , but if I connect to itunes i have learned I lose lose my jailbreak.

I really need to keep the JB because I only bought it because of a cydia app i need for work. But i also need it to be unlocked to use as a phone..

so my question is, is there any way I can unlock this Iphone 4s | ios 7.0.4(11B554a) | Carrier AT&T 15.5 unlock it without losing the jailbreak? I am prepared to do anything technical , as long as someone vouches that it still currently works.. or is this thread pointless and if i connect it to itunes to unlock the jailbreak will be safe? I'm just unsure and don't want to risk it.

I will appreciate any help, as don't really have anywhere else to ask.. Thanks :)

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I bought it thinking it was Unlocked & jaibroken, but stupidly only realized now that it actually says in the description Jailbroken OR Unlocked.

It came jailbroken it has cydia and other things on it, it came with a US simcard ( I'm in europe) and when turned on the phone works, and when I insert my own sim ( Lyca Mobile portugal) it reboots quickly and asks me to activate the iphone using wifi, when i connect to the wifi it comes up with error saying " failed, try with itunes" , but if I connect to itunes i have learned I lose lose my jailbreak.

I really need to keep the JB because I only bought it because of a cydia app i need for work. But i also need it to be unlocked to use as a phone..

so my question is, is there any way I can unlock this Iphone 4s | ios 7.0.4(11B554a) | Carrier AT&T 15.5 unlock it without losing the jailbreak? I am prepared to do anything technical , as long as someone vouches that it still currently works.. or is this thread pointless and if i connect it to itunes to unlock the jailbreak will be safe? I'm just unsure and don't want to risk it.

I will appreciate any help, as don't really have anywhere else to ask.. Thanks :)

The eBay link you mentioned says "Carrier Unlocked" I guess you must talk to the seller and get it sorted

AFAIK there are paid services available to do that but will cost money again. So the overall cost won't be a beneficial for you

Talk to the seller

FargoKill

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Hello Everyone,

Hello,

First, you should know that you cannot do a Software Unlock to your iPhone 4s, not only because of your iPhone model, but also because of your iOS version.
Ultrasn0w (The app that can unlock an iPhone) only supports up to iPhone 4 (from 01.59.00 baseband and older versions) and up to 6.1.6 iOS version.
So, your best bet would be a factory unlock. You will be able to stay on the iOS version you currently have and also have an unlocked iPhone. There might be an issue though with the final step of the unlock, because you need to plug your iPhone to your computer and either sync or restore it through iTunes. If the sync wont work, then you should restore it, and from what I know, the 8.2 iOS version cannot be jailbroken yet (although I read that when 8.3 iOS version will be released, a jailbreak will also be released!). I read all those info from the following link, so you can read about your problem with more details (3 methods on how to unlock a locked iphone).
From my experience, after I unlocked my iPhone with a factory unlock, I only synced my iPhone with iTunes and a message appeared that my iPhone is now unlocked. I didn't have to make a restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.