Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Continuing my series of space related threads comes one of NASA's biggest human experiments. Astronaut Scott Kelly will spend a year aboard the International Space Station. Soyuz TMA-16M blasted off a few minutes ago enroute to the ISS.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ready-for-record-setting-space-trip/70528834/

Comparing the two twins after one year will be interesting.

We already know what's going to happen...

He's going to enjoy his Hadfield's guitar so much up there, he'll come back with a Chris Hadfield/Tom Selleck moustache! :p

BL.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Meh. An astronaut spends one year living in a tin can an incredible 120 miles away from the Earth.

The future is so disappointing. Where are the jet packs and the flying cars? What happened to yesterday's tomorrows?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Meh. An astronaut spends one year living in a tin can an incredible 120 miles away from the Earth.

The future is so disappointing. Where are the jet packs and the flying cars? What happened to yesterday's tomorrows?
250 miles actually. We can't deal with drones now and you want everyone driving a flying car?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Yesterday's tomorrow became today's constraints. And by that, no, I don't mean financial constraints. I mean the biological limits of what we, ourselves, as humans can do in such an environment.

Reactions: bradl

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
BgmLkMi.png

I'll bet he's excited to use a regular toilet again..

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Im pissed that the media didn't care less about this and was more concerned in blowhard president candidates.

Reactions: bradl

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
And using station cameras. I wonder if they have a license agreement that who ever took the shot gets ownership rights.
I think given nasas funding standpoint and lack of interest from the media these days it's more a case of get it out there anyway you can.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

I'll tell you this.

My children had the biggest shock and blessing in their lives when my wife and I decided to not only restrict the Youtube app on our iPads, but replaced it with the YouTube Kids app. Not because it restricted the type of videos that they could watch (read: mature, language, etc.), but it freed up the number of videos that are kid friendly.

With that said, they went from watching the typical Angry Birds fodder to learning about the planets, and more recently, the CSA videos with Chris Hadfield and astronauts on the ISS answering normal day-to-day questions. For example, questions about wringing out water, making and drinking coffee, why tears don't fall in space, and washing your hair/haircuts (something Kelly doesn't have to worry about :p ). Finding this out from Kelly would be wonderful for them, as they are totally into space now, and that's saying something for a just-turned 6 year old and to-be 4 year old.

BL.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'll tell you this.

My children had the biggest shock and blessing in their lives when my wife and I decided to not only restrict the Youtube app on our iPads, but replaced it with the YouTube Kids app. Not because it restricted the type of videos that they could watch (read: mature, language, etc.), but it freed up the number of videos that are kid friendly.

With that said, they went from watching the typical Angry Birds fodder to learning about the planets, and more recently, the CSA videos with Chris Hadfield and astronauts on the ISS answering normal day-to-day questions. For example, questions about wringing out water, making and drinking coffee, why tears don't fall in space, and washing your hair/haircuts (something Kelly doesn't have to worry about :p ). Finding this out from Kelly would be wonderful for them, as they are totally into space now, and that's saying something for a just-turned 6 year old and to-be 4 year old.

BL.
When I was younger I would watch NASATV when we had that channel on cable. I was fascinated with the launches and space walks. I am still amazed at how many "closeted space fans" there are. I thought I was the only one that would sit there and watch this stuff. I am pleasantly surprised that there are a lot of people that have an interest in NASA. The internet in many ways has helped with NASA to promote what they do.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll tell you this.

BL.

Great story and thanks for sharing.

When I was younger I would watch NASATV when we had that channel on cable. I was fascinated with the launches and space walks. I am still amazed at how many "closeted space fans" there are. I thought I was the only one that would sit there and watch this stuff. I am pleasantly surprised that there are a lot of people that have an interest in NASA. The internet in many ways has helped with NASA to promote what they do.

Not only that, but it keeps you up to date and abreast of what is happening.

A few decades ago, even if you followed this stuff (and I did, eagerly) the books that were published were invariably just that little bit out of date, as it took so long for the material to be cleared and then published that fresh data or facts may have emerged in the meantime.

That does not apply with the internet, and I, for one, delight in the sheer joy of losing myself in reading about what is known and what is available for study on these matters, and thrill to the fascination of learning more about it all.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've wondered that, does NASA own all images from the ISS?

He's on the clock the whole time so id say yes

And using station cameras. I wonder if they have a license agreement that who ever took the shot gets ownership rights.

I think given nasas finding standpoint and lack of interest from the media these days it's more a case of get it out there anyway you can.

I tweeted this question of yours to NASA and the ISS Research Twitter account responded with this link in regards to the question. It kind of answers it, but not really since the question is regarding a NASA employee and not the general public. But my interpretation would be that Scott Kelly would not be permitted to use the images in a book of his for commercial purposes or personal gain, but I could see NASA granting him an exemption if he asked.

Media Usage Guidelines

Still Images, Audio Recordings, Video, and Related Computer Files

NASA still images, audio files, video, and computer files used in the rendition of 3-dimensional models, such as texture maps and polygon data in any format, generally are not copyrighted. You may use this material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits, computer graphical simulations and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages.

This general permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia logo (the blue "meatball" insignia), the retired NASA logotype (the red "worm" logo) and the NASA seal. These images may not be used by persons who are not NASA employees or on products (including Web pages) that are not NASA-sponsored.

NASA should be acknowledged as the source of the material except in cases of advertising. See NASA Advertising Guidelines.

If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, especially including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services. If a NASA image includes an identifiable person, using the image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy or publicity, and permission should be obtained from the person. Current NASA employees, including astronauts, may not appear in commercial material. Any questions regarding application of any NASA image or emblem should be directed to Bert Ulrich of the Multimedia Division of NASA's Office of Communications at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

NASA occasionally uses copyrighted material by permission on its website. Those images will be marked copyright with the name of the copyright holder. NASA's use does not convey any rights to others to use the same material. Those wishing to use copyrighted material must contact the copyright holder directly.

Questions about particular photos should be directed to:

Photo Department
NASA Headquarters
300 E St. SW
Washington, DC 20546
Tel: 202-358-1900
Fax: 202-358-4333

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I tweeted this question of yours to NASA and the ISS Research Twitter account responded with this link in regards to the question. It kind of answers it, but not really since the question is regarding a NASA employee and not the general public. But my interpretation would be that Scott Kelly would not be permitted to use the images in a book of his for commercial purposes or personal gain, but I could see NASA granting him an exemption if he asked.
Most of NASA images are public domain, being a government agency I think they have an open license. So even if Kelly wanted to I don't think he could profit off of those images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.