Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Many folks these days seem to be looking for an excuse to be offended. When two of them meet, it can become a competition where each claims they have more of a "right" to be offended. Best to avoid that game. It never ends well.

So the simple courtesy of explaining why you must leave an easily-offended person often helps them to cope with a world where everyone else seems to be against them. Words carry more credibility. Don't assume they'll deduce that your time-checking is benign. They're simply not wired that way :)
I think the level of offense gets magnified in the fishbowl of etiquette discussions. In the real world I rarely see people actually getting upset over this. It's obvious that if someone is checking the time, they're checking it relative to an upcoming obligation; otherwise there's no reason to check the time. If someone does get offended, it's because they consider whatever they have to say more important than wherever the time checker will soon have to go, in which case I have no sympathy for their presumptuousness.

However, in most cases you would really have to make an effort to check the time so conspicuously that it would even register to the other person. A typical watch glance is a discrete, split-second action, whereas most people "rudely" avoid eye contact with their interlocutor for much longer intervals with or without an external pretext. Let's face it, it's rare that we meet people who aren't so preoccupied with their own issues that they can give you their unreserved, undivided attention.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I'm sorry, I know the Watch will probably sell very well, but this quote below is one big pile of ************:

Our phones have become invasive. But what if you could engineer a reverse state of being? What if you could make a device that you wouldn't--couldn't--use for hours at a time? What if you could create a device that could filter out all the ******** and instead only serve you truly important information? You could change modern life. And so after three-plus decades of building devices that grab and hold our attention--the longer the better--Apple has decided that the way forward is to fight back.

Apple, in large part, created our problem. And it thinks it can fix it with a square slab of metal and a Milanese loop strap.

I enjoy using my iPhone. Why the hell do I need a device which helps me to NOT use it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.