Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
ust an FYI for those considering the 11" for music production.

I just picked one up (Stock with 4GB ram 1.4GHz processor) and just did the included "Helena Beat" demo test by Foster The People (74 tracks).

I added an additional piano and just played arpeggios during the whole song - and I stayed at around 61% CPU idle in activity monitor. Ram stayed in the green.

I also had Radium open and playing an internet stream radio station...as well as Facebook, safari (only 1 tab), Leaf (RSS reader), mail, and a PDF in preview.

This is all using the included logic pro 9 instruments - but this little machine is pretty amazing! My 15" 2014 retina has been sitting on the desk looking pretty lonely since I got it...

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone curious!

Oh - and this was all on battery!

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
ust an FYI for those considering the 11" for music production.

I just picked one up (Stock with 4GB ram 1.4GHz processor) and just did the included "Helena Beat" demo test by Foster The People (74 tracks).

I added an additional piano and just played arpeggios during the whole song - and I stayed at around 61% CPU idle in activity monitor. Ram stayed in the green.

I also had Radium open and playing an internet stream radio station...as well as Facebook, safari (only 1 tab), Leaf (RSS reader), mail, and a PDF in preview.

This is all using the included logic pro 9 instruments - but this little machine is pretty amazing! My 15" 2014 retina has been sitting on the desk looking pretty lonely since I got it...

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone curious!

Oh - and this was all on battery!

I use mine all the time on the road for Pro Tools and Logic, works great. A lot of the time i'll load up a Session to comp it or tidy it up and bring it back into my home studio to work on it. But i've had 100 track Pro Tools sessions with lots of plugins (mostly waves) going and its been fine.

djippy

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Montreal, Ca.
Just quick info about sound card compatibility.

I can confirm that a MOTU 8 PRE firewire work thru the firewire port on an early 2014 macbook air.

I was not able to find the information anywhere on the net (have seen different information about that working or not...) and it does work on my system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.