Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I know Apple stores in Tokyo don't stock UK keyboards but will they allow you to order one for pickup at a later date? And if so, will they minus the 8% consumption tax for tourists?

Alternatively, I know you can order UK keyboards on the Japan Apple online store. But will they minus the 8% consumption tax?

The other option is buying whatever keyboard is offered in a brick and mortar store who will minus the 8% consumption tax. In such cases, will the Apple store change it to a UK keyboard for a fee?

Which option works out cheapest?

Xisdibik

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
I am not sure about the taking away the 8% consumption tax for tourists.
You could try going to a shop in Akihabara which have lots of "duty free" shopping. I know Yodobashi there does it for many things and they have a apple section (it moves around so i couldn't tell you which floor its on). Also there is a "Mac Collection" authorized reseller down the main street (opposite side of the station to Yodobashi). They may do duty free if you can prove you are a tourist only.

Good luck as I just compared prices in Japan to UK and understand why you want to buy it here.

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Don't know about tax but I can tell you they do have US keyboard equipped MacBooks in stock. I bought one like this and it worked out very well !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.