Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Hey all

I'm seeking some help for a startup I'm building called Everbarrel. The site allows consumers to hedge their gas prices just like airlines do. However, due to the differences in gasoline prices between states, I have to customize the site experience based on the location that the user says that they're from (eventually I'll try to detect it from their IP address)

My question is: What state should I set google to have when it's indexing the page? If you go to the root URL of the site it redirects you to a "choose state" page if you aren't logged in. I think this is obviously a bad idea to send a crawler to a state-selection page.

So how should I handle this? It's a bit like selecting a language, but browsers don't send the HTTP Accept-Language with a state...

Also, another question: What do you think of the idea? Is it something that you'd be interested in buying?

Jamesbot

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
I would consider having a different URL for each state. Then give google a sitemap that lists the URLs you want indexed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.