Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
*update*
Huzah! All is good now, I was able to restore from a backup of 4.4.2 using philz cwm recovery tool, afterwards I used sunshine to get s-off. It cost $25, but it was well worth it. I now have a converted HTC One GPE with ota updates.

Anyone looking to loading Roms or doing a conversion, I highly recommend sunshine, all you do is run it in your phone and it takes care of the rest. You can get it here:

http://theroot.ninja

Thanks a lot for your help, if anything it lead me on the right path to finally fixing it.

Did you flash any roms to your M8? Also, is it fairly easy to return to stock if needed?

I almost walked out with a M8 from the AT&T store but wanted to research first and find out if its difficult to return to stock in case I didn't like the phone.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Did you flash any roms to your M8? Also, is it fairly easy to return to stock if needed?

I almost walked out with a M8 from the AT&T store but wanted to research first and find out if its difficult to return to stock in case I didn't like the phone.

Don't quote me on it but I believe you can go completely back to stock, even on att version. S-off is the most powerful access available on any mobile device I believe. I have never owned a htc device so I need backup here :)

As far as the ease, I'm not so sure. I've skimmed the s off threads and it can get intense, I guess it depends on whether you are planning to do a full gpe conversion or just rom/ root

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
S-off is the most powerful access available on any mobile device I believe. I have never owned a htc device so I need backup here :)
S-OFF gives you access to the NAND memory, which means you can mount/write to any partition. Unlocking the bootloader on an HTC device only gives you the ability to write to recovery and a few other partitions; you also need S-OFF if you want to flash kernels, radios, etc.

It's essentially the same as an unlocked bootloader on a Nexus device.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
S-OFF gives you access to the NAND memory, which means you can mount/write to any partition. Unlocking the bootloader on an HTC device only gives you the ability to write to recovery and a few other partitions; you also need S-OFF if you want to flash kernels, radios, etc.

It's essentially the same as an unlocked bootloader on a Nexus device.

Is it easier to root, flash roms, etc. on a GPE M8 over the AT&T variant?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Is it easier to root, flash roms, etc. on a GPE M8 over the AT&T variant?

Doesn't get any easier than the GPE as all you need is a couple fastboot commands and you're good to go. The carrier versions can also be rooted and ROM'd with an unlocked bootloader (S-OFF not required for that), so it's not any harder than the GPE -- just takes a little more time to set up.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Doesn't get any easier than the GPE as all you need is a couple fastboot commands and you're good to go. The carrier versions can also be rooted and ROM'd with an unlocked bootloader (S-OFF not required for that), so it's not any harder than the GPE -- just takes a little more time to set up.

Absolutely correct...I have the AT&T M8 and from start to finish i think it was 20 minutes.
To flash roms or just stay stock rooted is very easy on the M8.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Absolutely correct...I have the AT&T M8 and from start to finish i think it was 20 minutes.
To flash roms or just stay stock rooted is very easy on the M8.

Jamez, I just read this so I guess you can ignore the first question I asked in the PM..

Do you have it rooted? Any ROMs?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Jamez, I just read this so I guess you can ignore the first question I asked in the PM..

Do you have it rooted? Any ROMs?

I do have it rooted. I have run just about every rom available for the M8. I have settled on the stock rooted as my favorite. I love the CM11 rom as well....

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Just converted my HTC One m8 to gpe edition. This is heaven. Even HTC Sense wasn't that bad, but god... Stock Android is so much better.

And what's best is that I even have OTA updates available.

Couldn't be happier.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Just converted my HTC One m8 to gpe edition. This is heaven. Even HTC Sense wasn't that bad, but god... Stock Android is so much better.

Couldn't be happier.

Had my M8 for a few weeks now and I'm starting to think about doing the same.

Mine is an international unlocked model. Was there a recent guide you followed for yours? If so could you provide a link, wanted to make sure I was using something relevant rather than out of date info.

Cheers.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
christ do you peope rom your phones everyday?? reading all this is depressing.

Haha. It certainly must seem like we do. But honestly this was the first time EVER I changed rom to my phone. I wanted to get rid of the Sense 6.0 and get Stock Android instead. So I did what I did. I guess there is no need to rom again.

Just curious... why so negative? :D Is there something wrong about changing your rom?

----------

Had my M8 for a few weeks now and I'm starting to think about doing the same.

Mine is an international unlocked model. Was there a recent guide you followed for yours? If so could you provide a link, wanted to make sure I was using something relevant rather than out of date info.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEouT7eV8UA

I followed the steps in this video.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Haha. It certainly must seem like we do. But honestly this was the first time EVER I changed rom to my phone. I wanted to get rid of the Sense 6.0 and get Stock Android instead. So I did what I did. I guess there is no need to rom again.

Just curious... why so negative? :D Is there something wrong about changing your rom?

----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEouT7eV8UA

I followed the steps in this video.

Well, the more often you change your ROM, the less time it has to learn your battery. I wasn't getting "killer" battery life until Android Revolution HD 8.1 had some time to settle in; a few days or so. I've now been on 10.1 for a few days and the battery life continues to shine, and this is now without a custom kernel.

Personally, I kinda think I'd like to go back to "stock enough" in order to be able to receive OTAs from HTC. But I can't seem to track down info (or something to flash) to do that with my AT&T M8. Thats not to say that I don't love ARHD, it's that I don't like having to restore all of my music every time the ROM is updated to a new base (ie, from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3) because of having to wipe the data.

Last edited:

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC

Couldn't be happier.

I just did the opposite. I had converted to GPE but recently switched it over to the developer edition sense 6 version and I'm loving sense now. Camera experience and gallery are far superior on sense over gpe and I actually thing the device runs smoother on sense. Don't think I'll be going back to gpe edition anytime soon.

Edit: oh and also, the battery life is much better on sense than gpe. Clearly more optimized for the hardware.

Edit 2: one more thing... On sense I'm able to save my camera photos to my external SD card. There is no access to external SD from gpe rom. It's a lot of little things that add up to make sense the better experience FOR THIS DEVICE.

Last edited:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Haven't tried returning it to stock yet so I can't comment there.

As for Roms, I did try insert coin, cynagen mod, skydragon and stock GPE before fully converting to GPE with ota updates. Other than stock, my favorite was skydragon.

----------

Is this only for HTC phones?

Yup, only HTC.

----------

I'd say try firewater first. No sense paying $25 for something you may be able to get for free. Not that devs shouldn't be paid, of course.

I had to use Sunshine as well.

Yeah, though if your a newb Sunshine is much easier. It loads onto your from the web browser and unlocks the bootload and gets s-off automatically. No messing in terminal or command prompts.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Yeah, though if your a newb Sunshine is much easier. It loads onto your from the web browser and unlocks the bootload and gets s-off automatically. No messing in terminal or command prompts.

While I agree, I feel that if you aren't comfortable mucking around with adb and AROMA then you probably don't have any business attempting to flash roms to your phone.

Jailbreakers have had it easy all along (especially with the JailbreakMe.com websites) in that even a kid could do it and frankly, you can't brick an iOS device. With android, I get the feeling that isn't the case. So if one of the most basic steps in fully "freeing" your phone is too hard to follow concise instructions (for firewater) for, maybe the phone should be left stock. I can't count how many times a day I see posts in the Android Revolution HD thread asking why their phone takes 5-10 minutes to boot after flashing the version built on 4.4.3.

It's because they didn't read the instructions stating that 4.4.3 requires a firmware update and in order to flash it, you must be S-Off.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
For those with the GPE (or converted GPE like I have), 5.0.1 is rolling out. Just got the notification a little while ago, downloading now.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Wow, its been a while since anyone posted here. Well, lollipop is out now for the at&t, so if you still have yours, it's upgrade time. Forgot how nice this phone was.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So I'm back to my trusty M8, just finished setting everything up and surprises how smooth mm is running on this thing. Sure, things are loading a little slower and when I was installing apps things really slowed down, but it's still a nice experience.

One thing bugging me though is I had increased the DPI on my edge to fit more on screen, is there anyway to do this with this phone? I'm using the M8 GPE. Thanks.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I'm back to my trusty M8, just finished setting everything up and surprises how smooth mm is running on this thing. Sure, things are loading a little slower and when I was installing apps things really slowed down, but it's still a nice experience.

One thing bugging me though is I had increased the DPI on my edge to fit more on screen, is there anyway to do this with this phone? I'm using the M8 GPE. Thanks.

Probably an ADB command would do it.

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-...creen-resolution-without-root-access-0160439/

The default DPI for the HTC One (M8) is 480.

Reactions: Fernandez21

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.