Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
....and have to do a hard reset (long hold of home and power) to get sound back. Been fine since launch day (although it did pop sometimes) but for the past week or so I've had to hard reset every few days to get sound back.

I've browsed around, I see others have experienced the same problem. My question is, will Apple replace/fix it given that it's hard to replicate? I know it's going to happen again, just no idea when.

Oh yeah, I'm assuming it's a hardware issue and not an iOS issue, am I right?

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
This happens to me with my iPad mini 2. But not that often. It happens once every couple of months. I would've thought it's more likely to be a software issue of always fixed with a reset. If it were happening to me that often I'd wait till it did it again and take it to the Apple store before resetting again. They'll also ask you to upgrade to newest iOS before you get any more help. I think they might be sympathetic to replacing it then.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I got the "pop" sound once in a while. I noticed that usually happens when I switched from youtube app to something else. It is not consistent nor reproducible. But the pop is there. It comes and goes. Perhaps, I need to pay attention to it a little bit more :D I hope it is not HW issue.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Happens on my Air1 since the beginning i suspect sloppy iOS coding as usual. I have to reboot to get sound again.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Had about a month without it happening and now it's back with a vengeance. Happening repeatedly, and a hard reset is only partially bringing sound back - weirdly, if I tap keys for example it slowly starts to make sound. Leave it for a bit, and it's silent again. If I go into sounds and change my main ringer/alert, it sounds squelchy and "wrong".

Think a trip to the Apple Store is in order, I take it I'd need a Genius Bar appointment? Bah, earliest available appointment is next Friday and I'm working then :(

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Had about a month without it happening and now it's back with a vengeance. Happening repeatedly, and a hard reset is only partially bringing sound back - weirdly, if I tap keys for example it slowly starts to make sound. Leave it for a bit, and it's silent again. If I go into sounds and change my main ringer/alert, it sounds squelchy and "wrong".

Think a trip to the Apple Store is in order, I take it I'd need a Genius Bar appointment? Bah, earliest available appointment is next Friday and I'm working then :(

Save your energy, i had 2 ipad Air1s and both had had(have) the same problem. Its almost certainly software related.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Check out the last three posts in this thread on the Apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6631203?start=1065&tstart=0

Turning off my keyboard clicks stops the popping here thus far. Unlike the OP, I do not lose sound. It's just a random pop.

Check out this video and see if you can reproduce the pop issue:

http://youtu.be/np10FQbWtSI

Aah, interesting, I'll do that later when I get home.

Resurrected my old rMini in the meantime, brought that to work. Miss the size of the Air 2 already, and I'd forgotten how handy Touch ID is on the iPad. Also, owning a 6 Plus as I do, whilst I'm fully aware there's stuff you can do an rMini that you can't on a 6 Plus, there isn't nearly enough differentiation between the two for me to use a Mini full time anymore.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
My Air 2 is always on Mute and I do hear the pop from time to time but I ignore it. My old iPad (Air 1) did not have this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.