Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Switch Stories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 23, 2002, 06:30 PM   #1
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
Cool I dont concider myself a switcher...

Back in 1999, I was thinking of a computer to buy, the main computer on my mind was a G3 iMac since its one of the nicest computers I've ever seen.
Ive been using macs for a longer period of time than PC's, and in late '99 I was comparing different computers from Radio Shack and Canadian computer store chain "Compusmart", back then I didnt know what 'ram' or a 'processor' was.
When we were at the computer store to compare computers and see which one we should get, I wanted the iMac since it was a better deal than the rest of the computers, I ended up with an HP Pavilion 6535, which wasn't what I wanted.
When we got the computer home, we tried setting it up, there were WAY too many wires, and we ended up getting quite a few wires mixed up with each other, which caused some things (ie printer/scanner) to not work properly, but it did take 3 hrs + to get it set up, we called Hewlett Crappard support, and all they did is give us bs...some customer service...
after I got the computer to work, i tried playing an audio cd (that i got the day before), and by the time it was half way done, the computer would freeze each time i played the cd. Ive gotten many problems ever since, like hundreds of BSODs, dozens of reformats due to windows fux0ring up or installing linux/anything wrong, and had to upgrade/replace hardware quite a few times since i need new hardware (ie hard drive), or had to get something replaced (stupid power supply) and i had to contact HP support once again...and again never got any help when my HP CD-R drive stopped working..but finally got it replaced a few days b4 warranty was up.
I thought Windows XP was going to be stable and rarely ever crash, since all my friends were telling me its very stable and basically perfect. I was so wrong, applications crashed regularly, and I had to reformat almost as much as I did when i had Win 98, since XP fux0red up basically once every few weeks (a few times I had to reformat twice in a week). I got tired of all the problems on XP, SP1 didn't really fix those problems, but I knew reformatting and installing the SP1 update wouldnt do much good.
In August 2001, I was thinking about buying a PowerMac G4 since they're some of the fastest Macs on the markets, a week before the DDR PowerMacs were released, I tried out some Quicksilver PowerMacs, and loved the speed and stability...and the Apple LCD monitors made it feel even sweeter .
Since August I was comparing different Macs and thinking which mac i should get. Back in November I was playing around with a 15" and 17" iMac, and found it very very fast and sweet to use. After lots of annoying people, I decided on an 800Mhz iBook with 128 megs of ram. It was certainly a good deal , I would have installed 512 megs more ram, but I dont have the right screwdriver to install the ram. OSX is fast and stable with only 128 megs of ram. I havent had that many problems with my mac yet, sometimes apps would freeze, but its not even near as harsh as it was on Windows XP.
I never expected to buy an ibook since I thought i was going to end up with an eMac or iMac, but things change over time.
the iBook is certainly faster than my old PC, although my PC has more ram and a faster hard drive...I cetainly dont regret buying the mac
and others who are currently only using pc's and thinking of buying a mac, buy a mac that you think will best fit your needs and your budget.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Switch Stories