Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vroom1863

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Right now I have a Roku 3, and the only thing keeping me with it is the headphone port in the remote - very handy feature, and doesn't require me to buy bluetooth headphones. Has anyone heard if the upcoming Apple TV will have a headphone port in it's remote?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmmm...

Your TV doesn't have enough ports to plug in headphones?

Also, the optical out already on the AppleTV just needs an adapter.

vroom1863

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
My TV is way across the room. I'm not interested in getting hooking up headset to the TV. The Roku earbud port in the remote control is fantastic, and that's what I'd like from Apple TV. Has anyone heard anything about Apple making this happen?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Oh, in the remote...

My TV is way across the room. I'm not interested in getting hooking up headset to the TV. The Roku earbud port in the remote control is fantastic, and that's what I'd like from Apple TV. Has anyone heard anything about Apple making this happen?

Nope, would require a completely different remote design and lose the simplicity of it.

My TV is across the room too, that's why I bought wireless headphones with a base that can be wired to either the TV or the AppleTV.

vroom1863

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
gotcha, thanks for the tip, much appreciated. Still,would be awesome if there was a port built into the next version of ATV.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay...

gotcha, thanks for the tip, much appreciated. Still,would be awesome if there was a port built into the next version of ATV.

You mean AppleTV remote, right?

Which, if it were to be able to transmit data, would likely use low-power bluetooth, yes?

Which would make it bigger, I assume.

How big is the Roku remote with the headphone port? What kind of batteries does it use?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Right now I have a Roku 3, and the only thing keeping me with it is the headphone port in the remote - very handy feature, and doesn't require me to buy bluetooth headphones. Has anyone heard if the upcoming Apple TV will have a headphone port in it's remote?

I didn't know that about the Roku 3. That's a really neat feature. Can't see Apple doing it though. Apple are more likely to drop ports than add them these days!

vroom1863

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
The Roku 3 remote takes 2 AA batteries. It uses standard headphones - comes with a pair of earbuds, but you can use any kind you like. I like using small wired earbuds - Bluetooth headphones are all pretty big and bulky.

The Roku 3 remote is really comfortable in the hand, and if Apple chooses to alter the design of their remote it would improve it. The current ATV remote is so small that it's hard to operate IMHO.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
What would be good, would be, if you could use an iOS device as an AirPlay receiver. That way if you need to listen with headphones you could just plug a pair into your iPhone or ipad. If you have the old Airfoil app you can do this already, though it is a bit clunky as if you come out of the app or the phone sleeps you have to start again.
Or they could enable Bluetooth audio so you could use Bluetooth headphones.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I wonder if Roku has patents, or has licensed patents, to the headphones jack in a remote idea. It's certainly a cool idea - I just think there must be an IP reason nobody else has ripped it off.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
What would be good, would be, if you could use an iOS device as an AirPlay receiver. That way if you need to listen with headphones you could just plug a pair into your iPhone or ipad. If you have the old Airfoil app you can do this already, though it is a bit clunky as if you come out of the app or the phone sleeps you have to start again.
I guess I have my (docked) iPhone 4S set to never sleep because I have used this feature with Airfoil and never ran into a problem. For a while, you could also get an app called AirMusic that did the same thing. Unfortunately, it has been pulled, as well. The interesting thing is that this already works with these apps, so it would take no effort at all for Apple to add it to the OS.

In the meantime, you would need an Airplay receiver (Airport Express, some Airplay speaker with a headphone out, receiver with Airplay, etc..) connected to headphones or a DAC.

My dad has a Roku with the headphone in the remote and he says it eats through batteries at a blistering pace. I am not sure Apple would add this feature to the standard remote unless they can figure out a docking solution to recharge the remote when it isn't being used.

pn247

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
UK
Can't see it

I love that the Roku (which is by far one of the best media streamers out there a the moment) has the headphones in the remote feature, but I just can't see Apple doing it with the updated Apple TV.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
All I want Apple to do is enable Airplay audio to bluetooth headphones/speakers directly from ATV, and also allow audio playback through your iPhone (while video plays on ATV). No need for ports in the remote and all that nonsense.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I guess I have my (docked) iPhone 4S set to never sleep because I have used this feature with Airfoil and never ran into a problem. For a while, you could also get an app called AirMusic that did the same thing. Unfortunately, it has been pulled, as well. The interesting thing is that this already works with these apps, so it would take no effort at all for Apple to add it to the OS.

In the meantime, you would need an Airplay receiver (Airport Express, some Airplay speaker with a headphone out, receiver with Airplay, etc..) connected to headphones or a DAC.

My dad has a Roku with the headphone in the remote and he says it eats through batteries at a blistering pace. I am not sure Apple would add this feature to the standard remote unless they can figure out a docking solution to recharge the remote when it isn't being used.

It does eat thru batteries relatively quickly but a good set of rechargeable batteries solves that problem. This feature actually drove me to the Roku and away from my appletvs. Now the appletvs are only used for AirPlay.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh!

The Roku 3 remote takes 2 AA batteries. It uses standard headphones - comes with a pair of earbuds, but you can use any kind you like. I like using small wired earbuds - Bluetooth headphones are all pretty big and bulky.

The Roku 3 remote is really comfortable in the hand, and if Apple chooses to alter the design of their remote it would improve it. The current ATV remote is so small that it's hard to operate IMHO.

Two AA doesn't seem terrible. I get it now, that would be useful.

Though considering we can use iOS devices as a remote, I'd think you'd be able to do it through an iPhone or iPad first.

Which would be cool.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

I guess I'm a little confused. Where is the ATV getting it's media from? If it's a shared iTunes library, couldn't the iOS device just use HomeSharing (the same feature the ATV is using) to play the media through the headphone port? No need to use the ATV at all! If you're trying to watch a video, can't you send the video to the ATV but keep the audio on the iOS device? I think you can do it that way with a Mac.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay...

I guess I'm a little confused. Where is the ATV getting it's media from? If it's a shared iTunes library, couldn't the iOS device just use HomeSharing (the same feature the ATV is using) to play the media through the headphone port? No need to use the ATV at all! If you're trying to watch a video, can't you send the video to the ATV but keep the audio on the iOS device? I think you can do it that way with a Mac.

What do you mean "no need to use the ATV at all"?

We want to watch video on our TVs connected to AppleTVs, but have the option of listening to it wirelessly without buying anything extra.

So, essentially, we're looking for the remote or iOS device to function as an audio receiver.

Now, if I was using Airplay to stream content from my iOS device to the AppleTV, this would work.

But not if my content is on a computer, even on the same network. You'd likely have video/audio sync issues.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

You can get a small, battery-powered bluetooth receiver to connect to any headphones you like. This would approximately replicate your experience on the Roku. These are about $30 on Amazon. I bought one from Avantree which works quite well. It is small and light.

Unfortunately, although the AppleTV has bluetooth, Apple for some reason doesn't allow us to use it for audio. So you'll also need a toslink-to-bluetooth adapter. These convert the optical audio out from the AppleTV to bluetooth transmission, which is then received by your bluetooth receiver connected to your headphones.

I realize none of this is tidy, but I mention it because it solves your problem and can even be used right now with your existing AppleTV, and no need to wait for a future AppleTV that may or may not solve your problem (most likely not).

paddyr

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
You can get a small, battery-powered bluetooth receiver to connect to any headphones you like. This would approximately replicate your experience on the Roku. These are about $30 on Amazon. I bought one from Avantree which works quite well. It is small and light.

Unfortunately, although the AppleTV has bluetooth, Apple for some reason doesn't allow us to use it for audio. So you'll also need a toslink-to-bluetooth adapter. These convert the optical audio out from the AppleTV to bluetooth transmission, which is then received by your bluetooth receiver connected to your headphones.

I realize none of this is tidy, but I mention it because it solves your problem and can even be used right now with your existing AppleTV, and no need to wait for a future AppleTV that may or may not solve your problem (most likely not).

Do you have links or names to these products (toslink bluetooth and bluetooth receiver transmitter) on Amazon or elsewhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.