Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Narcissists don't improve with age, they just become craftier. The soft side of a narc is merely an act - a way of getting what they want. The best high a narc can get is to be praised for their amazing self-sacrifice and kindness, and the best way to get that praise is to get involved with blood runs, charities, and reach out to people that they think need help, but it's all just an act, every bit of it. The more public the act, the more praise they will get. After skimming through the book, it sounds like Cook was very useful to Jobs, which explains why Jobs put his narc spell on him. If I hadn't accidentally read about Narcissistic Personality Disorder two years ago, I would still think I had the best friend in the world...

Genuine or not (genuineness is overrated anyway), what is important is the action itself (unlike some people who just talk but never walk the talk). I think you look too far into Job's and Cook's motivations. If such actions (charities for example) benefit many people, it is still a good thing and I still applaud Cook for doing such.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I just finished the book. I'm not sure why Gruber and others are raving about it so much. More time was spent on NeXT and Pixar than Isaacson's book but it's basically the cliff notes versions of the development of Apple's biggest products. Though after reading this book it's clear why Apple never went after Nest. According to this book Tony Fadell clashed with many Apple executives including Jon Rubenstein, Jony Ive and Scott Forstall. I also found it interesting that once Avie Tevanian and Jon Rubenstein left Apple they basically had no contact with Steve ever again. Clearly Steve was much closer to the current executive team than the team he brought over from NeXT. Interestingly two of the executives closest to Steve (Eddy Cue and Jony Ive) were legacy Apple employees hired before Steve returned to the company.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Overall, Becoming Steve Jobs definitely has a feeling of those close to Steve Jobs trying to alter the public perception of him as a person, sharing some of the details of their relationships while the book in some respects glosses over his shortcomings. Those shortcomings are not, however, ignored entirely, with the penultimate chapter entitled "Blind Spots, Grudges, and Sharp Elbows" laying out a number of instances even late in his life where he engaged in controversial behavior.

Really? I'm still not up to the 'penultimate chapter', but I haven't thought the authors guilty of 'glossing over' his shortcomings at all. Rather I'd say it's the very focus of the first half of the book!! The chapters about NeXT and Pixar highlight his flaws as a businessman at least as much as anything I've read on the man before.

The theme of this book is obvious—it's about trying to understand his transition from the chaotic character of his earlier years, to the focused and disciplined business leader that came back and steered Apple to unimaginable heights upon his return, which you admittedly captured with the first quote you chose from the book.

As I wrote on another thread, the authors are really trying to make the point that Steve Jobs is not so easily classified, and that the typical myths and legends haven't painted a very complete picture. They're going to some pains to capture the complexity of his character (both good and bad) and to set the scene for the conversion they believe he went through—his 'wilderness experience' if you like—which is the theme implied by the title itself, and explored early in the book.

About halfway through the book. It's a quick read. I certainly don't get the sense the authors were whitewashing anything or trying to present Steve in a better light. His bad traits and tendencies certainly shine through (at least in the first Apple, Next and Pixar days).

Phew… thought I must have been reading a different book to everyone else for a while there!

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Narcissists don't improve with age, they just become craftier. The soft side of a narc is merely an act - a way of getting what they want. The best high a narc can get is to be praised for their amazing self-sacrifice and kindness, and the best way to get that praise is to get involved with blood runs, charities, and reach out to people that they think need help, but it's all just an act, every bit of it. The more public the act, the more praise they will get. After skimming through the book, it sounds like Cook was very useful to Jobs, which explains why Jobs put his narc spell on him. If I hadn't accidentally read about Narcissistic Personality Disorder two years ago, I would still think I had the best friend in the world...

So, you joined MacRumors just to lay that plop on us? Terrific. You do a diagnosis without every knowing the guy, and then you know EVERYTHING. What have you invented?

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
Most likely the pictures are lower quality or omitted.

What is the reason for different sizes on the iBook store for different regions? I understand there maybe a few pages here or there because of publishers, but on one store its like 20.9 MB and another it's 4MB. That seems like a considerable difference.

Page numbers are the same.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Maybe for you, but thanks to my iPhone I am able to say wayyyy more in contact with my friends. I'm 35 and I regularly have group text threads going with four guys I graduated with. Right now we are making plans to celebrate one of their birthdays this weekend.

That doesn't even take into account the way I keep in contact with other friends across the states and even overseas with Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

People did that BEFORE the iPhone.
Texting was NOT innovated by the iPhone as some may think.

Nothing wrong with keeping in touch with people but looking down at your iPhone while at a party, meeting or crossing the street is rude.

Makes me wonder if kids even party any more or just look at their phones at parties and share viral videos instead of having discussions about their lives and experiences.

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
People did that BEFORE the iPhone.
Texting was NOT innovated by the iPhone as some may think.

Nothing wrong with keeping in touch with people but looking down at your iPhone while at a party, meeting or crossing the street is rude.

Makes me wonder if kids even party any more or just look at their phones at parties and share viral videos instead of having discussions about their lives and experiences.

iMessage is hella innovative. I can share media like never before and even opt out of a group message. No other platform can do that.

Some kids will be staring at their phones at parties, some won't. I have a 16 yo son and he is constantly using his iPhone while hanging with his friends. They make videos of each other skateboarding and doing other fun things. He existed a video in iMovie with his friends for a class project just this week.

I totally understand what you're saying - to an extent. But let's not write smartphones off as the devil you're implying they are. People have sucked at interaction before, and they will still, as with any technology.

If I'm staring at my phone in a room of people or on a bus, I would have been ignoring them anyway as I find them boring, or maybe while on the bus I wanted to read a book and can now do so on my iPhone.

Cheers.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
So, you joined MacRumors just to lay that plop on us? Terrific. You do a diagnosis without every knowing the guy, and then you know EVERYTHING. What have you invented?
Just because he's new here doesn't mean he's new to all things Apple.
-I just don't get how some forum members think if you are a new member that you know nothing about Apple.

Sad to say though, his comments are dead on.

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
Just because he's new here doesn't mean he's new to all things Apple.
-I just don't get how some forum members think if you are a new member that you know nothing about Apple.

Sad to say though, his comments are dead on.

Except that Steve didn't do any of the things this guy mentioned, blood runs, charities, etc.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Is that on Audible? Because I was considering getting that, so your thoughts would be helpful

Yes on Audible. I think part of the problem is they have removed almost all breathing and sometimes create their own pauses by inserting silence, or something. I mean the guy pauses in mid sentence, with or without commas, etc. It's really annoying. This is just the second audiobook I've purchased on Audible, out of like 60, that the narration is so annoying it detracts from the book.

----------

Thanks for letting us know. I was just about to use my audible credit for this now. I guess I'll get the book. I love to read. I don't have much time to read nowadays though.

Update: I'm listening to audiobook sample now. It doesn't seem too bad to me. On the other hand, my mind tends to wonder when I listen to a book as opposed to reading it so maybe I'll go with the eBook.

It's certainly not the worst I've heard, but out of my 60+ audiobooks, it's definitely top 3 worst narration. I tried again last night and got through a few chapters.

For instance, I have a few books with Ray Porter doing the narration, and you are hanging on every word. The delivery is perfect. This George Newbern guy just doesn't do it for me. I never know if a pause is him adding some delay between words, or the engineer splicing together two bad lines to make a good line, etc. It's just weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.